T Nation

Ghetto Gym

I guess I was comparing it to some other people’s I’ve seen. Also I just saw the pictures for the first time in the thread since I posted them from work and the firewaLL blocks the images. As small as they are it’s hard to see how old and used some the stuff is, but then again plates bars and dumbbells do age pretty well.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Ghetto gym?
Geez, I wonder what you would think of mine, :stuck_out_tongue:

Though I find all a person really needs is a set of dumbbells anyways.
I still have a long bar though, which is nice for doing squats and deadlift. Wish I had a squat rack though so I could actually do some real weight.
Hehe, I can’t do bench press either so I have to do push ups and push up variations for chest developement. [/quote]

mine is probably the most ghetto. i use car tires for bench, squat, and deadlift, and use big rocks for dumbells. Trust me, you don’t wanna know what I use for cables…

I like your trap bar lift platform. I like it a lot.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8010pr.html

Pretty cheap half-rack, great for low ceiling areas

This is the farthest thing from being a ghetto. I don’t even own half of that and have to work out in a thin-ass shed!

You make me very angry.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
<<< mine is probably the most ghetto. i use car tires for bench, squat, and deadlift, and use big rocks for dumbells. Trust me, you don’t wanna know what I use for cables…[/quote]

Shit, I’ve been almost afraid to post pics really despite being asked, thinking nobody would take me serious after seeing my ugly basement. I’m not kidding. I guess it’s not as “ghetto” as I thought. BTW, I didn’t mean ghetto negatively either. You should see what my “ghetto” computers look like.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
I like your trap bar lift platform. I like it a lot.[/quote]

Thanks, that is currently one of my favorite pieces. The platform is made out of some scrap I had in the garage, but it’s rock solid.

[quote]Magnate wrote:
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com

Pretty cheap half-rack, great for low ceiling areas [/quote]

That’s it!!! Actually yes, it was there that someone linked to the other day, not elitefs.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
This is the farthest thing from being a ghetto. I don’t even own half of that and have to work out in a thin-ass shed!

You make me very angry.[/quote]

Trust me it took every spare penny I’ve seen in the last year and a chunk of a home equity loan. I’ve given up quite a bit to have this stuff so I guess it evens out.

I’d hit it

I like it. There’s nothing wrong with training with whatever you can get (not that what you have looks bad at all though).

I’ll be working more on mine as soon as I move (hopefully within a few months), and I’ll be keeping all the Walmart weights and bench that I have until I don’t have room for them anymore.

I’m just going to keep a gym membership until I’m certain I have:
A) enough equipment to train with, and
B) enough motivation and consistency working out at home to know I won’t need the motivation of a gym anymore.

Edit:sorry…this was a re-post because of my slow internet connection.

I guess you get what you pay for. Tiri, if you want ghetto, look at my shit. It’s a bench press/squat rack/leg extension/leg curl/preacher curl(removable and can be changed with a lat pulldown pole). It can incline and decline.

That’s all I have, including weight plates, 15lb to 50lb dumbbells and two ez curl bars with weight plates. Don’t EVER feel like you are lacking in the equipment area. At least your garage walls are thicker, too (It was 75 degrees today-I was able to produce sweat even with high intensity/high volume for the first time in three months).

Tiri, be happy with what you got. I’m jealous!

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
I like it. There’s nothing wrong with training with whatever you can get (not that what you have looks bad at all though).

I’ll be working more on mine as soon as I move (hopefully within a few months), and I’ll be keeping all the Walmart weights and bench that I have until I don’t have room for them anymore.

I’m just going to keep a gym membership until I’m certain I have:
A) enough equipment to train with, and
B) enough motivation and consistency working out at home to know I won’t need the motivation of a gym anymore.[/quote]

I’d have a gym membership as well if I could afford one, just for a change of pace and to hit a few things differently on occasion.

However I find not having to drive somewhere, change clothes, wait in line for equipment and deal with someone else,s sweat tough to beat. I mean this as no reflection on you, but I have no problem at all staying motivated, seriously.

At times a partner would be cool, but keeping my health issues in check and the personal satisfaction of seeing consistent progress as well as one day being able to post after pics I can be proud of keeps me psyched.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
<<< Tiri, be happy with what you got. I’m jealous![/quote]

You can take satisfaction in the fact that your effort will bring you better results (as will mine) than most of manicured masses at Planet Fitness with it’s multi million dollar franchises.

Together we’ll share that satisfaction, and perhaps one day I can visit your garage?

Haha, maybe I’m pushing it.

It’s not a “ghetto gym” unless dogs have pissed on the weights recently, you have to move broken auto parts to deadlift or some of your plates are covered in cigarette butts.

In which case, my home gym would certainly qualify. (Did I mention the nests of black widows in the unused standard plates, the squat rack that wobbles when you set anything heavier than a hundred pounds on it or the myriad other things that make my shared space so delightfully charming and conducive to training?)

On the plus side, I haven’t felt this hardcore since I trained in a gym in Brasil that had all of its machines and racks handmade, from the hack squat machine apparently made for people under 5’6 to the bars that had sharp metal burrs on them.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
Together we’ll share that satisfaction, and perhaps one day I can visit your garage?

Haha, maybe I’m pushing it.[/quote]

Anytime Buddy, but Arkansas may be a bit of a commute huh?

One excuse I always come up with when deciding to get a home gym is “I don’t have enough room”. After seeing your gym, my excuse is no longer valid. I guess it’s time to throw the lawn mower outside, move my toolbox, and order my rack.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
It’s not a “ghetto gym” unless dogs have pissed on the weights recently, you have to move broken auto parts to deadlift or some of your plates are covered in cigarette butts.

In which case, my home gym would certainly qualify. (Did I mention the nests of black widows in the unused standard plates, the squat rack that wobbles when you set anything heavier than a hundred pounds on it or the myriad other things that make my shared space so delightfully charming and conducive to training?)

On the plus side, I haven’t felt this hardcore since I trained in a gym in Brasil that had all of its machines and racks handmade, from the hack squat machine apparently made for people under 5’6 to the bars that had sharp metal burrs on them.[/quote]

OK, I now officially feel guilty for the way I started this thread. I honestly thought I was gonna get razzed for my rusty plates and dumbbells and cheapo machine in my filthy unfinished basement. My wife’s standing behind me telling me “see what a spoiled brat I’ve turned you into?”.

Seriously, my income is in the decidedly low end of middle class in this country. If it wasn’t for her budgetary wizardry I would never have been able to pull this off. She handles all the money and I thank God for it because I am no good at any of that.

rich bastard ,
I only got a few dumbells and a pullup bar

(and I do just fine with exotic BW movements and weighted dips\chins)

Ah…women…

[quote]emonkeh wrote:
rich bastard ,
I only got a few dumbells and a pullup bar

(and I do just fine with exotic BW movements and weighted dips\chins)
[/quote]

heh! me too. Pullup bar, a dumbell, and a weighted vest is all I have. I use stacked boxes at work for dips!