Ghetto Gym

I’ve been asked a few times, so I thought I’d post a few pics of my very humble, yet functional poor man’s basement gym. It’s used by my wife, my 11 year old daughter and myself. Lotsa cheap and used crap, but don’t scoff at what can be done with a little creativity and determination.

I want one.
Seriously man, that is a really nice gym, I was looking at the pictures and realized there is not one workout that I have done in the last 6 months (strong man excluded) that I could not have done in your home gym. Good job!

Holy shit, that’s not a bad set up. How much do you think you’ve spent in total?

I have the same Marcy bench as you. Mine seems to always lean to one side though…

I was thinking that we should have a thread where we all post our home gyms. If you don’t mind I’ll post a few shots of mine later on.

Nice, better than mine!

I have the same bench/rack combo

the smith machine on it is a piece of shit

thats alot nicer than my home setup, shit if you had a power rack I would take that gym over my current one

Looks great to me. Nice collection.

[quote]SetItOnFire wrote:
I want one.
Seriously man, that is a really nice gym, I was looking at the pictures and realized there is not one workout that I have done in the last 6 months (strong man excluded) that I could not have done in your home gym. Good job![/quote]

Thanks man. There’s alway SOMETHING you wish you had, but I can work every group quite well.

[quote]jarvis wrote:
Holy shit, that’s not a bad set up. How much do you think you’ve spent in total?

I have the same Marcy bench as you. Mine seems to always lean to one side though…

I was thinking that we should have a thread where we all post our home gyms. If you don’t mind I’ll post a few shots of mine later on.[/quote]

I think total cost was right around 2 grand. Yes, mine leans a hair to the left as well, that’s funny. The other one leaning up against the wall doesn’t though. Post away, should be interesting.

[quote]SetItOnFire wrote:
I want one.
Seriously man, that is a really nice gym, I was looking at the pictures and realized there is not one workout that I have done in the last 6 months (strong man excluded) that I could not have done in your home gym. Good job![/quote]

[quote]KO421 wrote:
Nice, better than mine![/quote]

I appreciate the positive responses. I really wasn’t sure what to expect.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
I have the same bench/rack combo

the smith machine on it is a piece of shit

thats alot nicer than my home setup, shit if you had a power rack I would take that gym over my current one[/quote]

The smith is indeed a piece of shit. All I use it for is calves most of the time. EDIT: No that is not MY working calf weight, just wanted to make that clear The whole thing is pretty cheap, but it works fine and was inexpensive so I can’t complain. I really want one of those small adjustable half racks that elitefs sells.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Looks great to me. Nice collection.[/quote]

Indeed collection is the right word lol. Mix n match from here n there, but hey gotta work with what we can afford.

i like the fridge in the corner

BTW if thats the bar that came with the bench/weights

it weighs 40lbs…

Nah, far from ghetto man.
Look like a good set-up
w/ whats needed an important.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
i like the fridge in the corner[/quote]

So do I =]

@ n3wb:

That bar is stashed in the back room. I weighed mine too. For the others, I got one with the colorful Weider set which is 45 and a couple other ones separately including the rusty one which I haven’t used yet that are also 45. Incidentally the trap bar is 45 as well.

Nice looking setup Tirib. I’ve been thinking about converting part of the basement, getting a power rack and building a platform. I’ve been getting some strange looks at my gym on deadlift day, and if I have to bitch to one more person about curls in the squat racks I really will kill someone. I’m serious this time.

looks pretty impressive to me. I have a garage gym. It consists of a platform and an adjustable bench with uprights that you can use to squat with.

Ghetto gym?
Geez, I wonder what you would think of mine, :stuck_out_tongue:

Though I find all a person really needs is a set of dumbbells anyways.
I still have a long bar though, which is nice for doing squats and deadlift. Wish I had a squat rack though so I could actually do some real weight.
Hehe, I can’t do bench press either so I have to do push ups and push up variations for chest developement.

[quote]Modi wrote:
Nice looking setup Tirib. I’ve been thinking about converting part of the basement, getting a power rack and building a platform. I’ve been getting some strange looks at my gym on deadlift day, and if I have to bitch to one more person about curls in the squat racks I really will kill someone. I’m serious this time.[/quote]

There are obviously some definite advantages to a commercial gym, especially if you find one where actually meaningful training still takes place. I gotta tell ya though, there’s nothing like the freedom and convenience of just going downstairs.

For one thing if I happen to make some noise or drop something there won’t be any alarms =]

I was genuinely shocked by what I could dig up for a practical song. Even the stuff I got new was cheap. Clearance sales, floor models, garage sales, second hand stores and bartering computer work for people’s old shit.