T Nation

Ghetto Glute Ham Raise

I don’t have access to a real GHR machine, but I can use a lat pull down machine or a bar across my legs. The problem is, I’m not even close to strong enough to complete one rep. What can I do to increase leg strength to that level? Heavy leg curls? Lots of SLDL?

I just added in the lat pull down ghr about a month ago and I like it a lot. I lock my feet in and do the negative down to a bench, and ‘push-up’. Usually do sets of 6-8. I try a really slow negative and I notice the more fatigued I get the shorter the negative becomes.

[quote]dmunro wrote:
I don’t have access to a real GHR machine, but I can use a lat pull down machine or a bar across my legs. The problem is, I’m not even close to strong enough to complete one rep. What can I do to increase leg strength to that level? Heavy leg curls? Lots of SLDL?[/quote]

Hold a swiss ball in front of your body in both arms and use it to help you up through the sticking point on the concentric portion of the movement.

I would recommend sticking with this movement doing slow negatives and using the ball to help back to the starting point.

Negatives, Resistance Bands

x2 for negatives.

I do negatives than I push off at the bottom for some assistance and try to finish the movement on my own.

I put a pushdown attachment on a lat machine with some counter-weight (20lb) and grab it behind my head. When I go down, it helps me go back up. I like it this way this the movement becomes smooth.