Ghee as a Fat Source

I’d like some opinions of Ghee as a fat source.

I believe Dr Bowden mentioned in his ‘150 foods’ book, and he’s a fan.

S

Ghee is Good.

I believe Johnny Bowden has said it’s only worthwhile if its from grass fed cows.

I believe his big message was that everything is worthless if it’s from GRAIN fed cows (beef, milk etc), cows aren’t supposed to eat grain, they’re supposed to graze on grass. If you guys haven’t read the book, I strongly suggest it, very worthwhile reading.

S

My Indian friend skin breaks out from ghee but not butter, even though ghee is just browned clarified butter, if you make it from pastured butter and you body is fine with it go for it.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I believe his big message was that everything is worthless if it’s from GRAIN fed cows (beef, milk etc), cows aren’t supposed to eat grain, they’re supposed to graze on grass. If you guys haven’t read the book, I strongly suggest it, very worthwhile reading.

S[/quote]

I agree.

My point was, don’t go out of your way to seek it out if you can’t get the good stuff. Might as well just stick to plain ol’ supermarket butter.

It is clarified butter and having grown up on it used on cooked food (white rice with lentils, wholemeal Indian bread) it’s not something I would recommend to people. I guess in moderate quantities it would be okay but something about the way it’s prepared* makes me uncomfortable to recommend it to people.

• Ghee is usually homemade from melting unsalted butter in a saucepan etc.