T Nation

GH Testing

Thanks in advance for your input.

I have a routine physical tomorrow with my GP. I'm wanting to get my GH tested but don't know what the best approach is. What test's tell the story the best?

My reasoning for the inquiry is that I seem to have hormone troubles across the board. Thyroid problems, Low T, Low E2. So I'm concerned that GH may be a problem as well.

I doubt that my GP knows much of anything about this but he is normally willing to run just about any tests that I request. Not sure I'd follow through with a referral to and endo and all the hoops unless it was extremely low or causing real health issues. I would like to know where I stand though.

Thanks again.

GH is released in pulses. So GH labs are sort of useless most of the time.

GH causes the liver to produce IGF-1 which has a longer half-life. So IGF-1 is a better lab for GH status than GH itself.

A thyroid problem with the pituitary would be low TSH and other low thyroid output hormones. If TSH is >=1.0, pituitary is probably fine in that regard. You also need to consider your iodine intake history [iodized salt] and body temperatures. See the thyroid basics sticky.

Hypogonadism and [subclinical] hypothyroidism are frequently seen together in this forum.

If GH is low, cortisol can be elevated.
If cortisol is high, GH may be low.
Prednisolone and other corticosteroids can depress GH or create a full GH deficiency during treatment.

Problems with 3 or more pituitary hormones has a name: pan-hypopituitarism

Labs:
TSH
fT3
fT4
AM cortisol [do lab at 8AM]
fasting cholesterol
fasting glucose
CBC
DHEA-S
vit-D25
prolactin

I’ve been on Armour Thyroid for about two years. TRT for about 14 months now.

I apologize for not just attaching this to one of my current threads with info. Thought that I would be more likely to get a response before my appointment tomorrow with a specific thread title.

I’ll request the labs that you mentioned. As always, thank you for your time and knowledge.

Your overall thyroid function can be evaluated by your body temperatures which can be used as a thyroid Rx dosing guide. Regular labs can be a difficult dosing guide in many cases. As always, fT3 is the critical hormone and it can be blocked by elevated rT3 in some cases.