T Nation

GH Releasing Exercises

So im pretty sure everyone has heard that Power Cleans, Squats and Deadlifts are excellent ways to increase body mass all over.

Ive seen videos of people doing “Push jerks”. Is this exercise an effective way of adding mass?

Thinking of Starting this new routine this week.

Tuesday:
5x5 Deadlifts
5x5 Weighted Chins
5x5 Push Presses (Jerks)

Thursday:
5x5 Squats
5x5 Weighted Chins
5x5 Push Presses (Jerks)

Saturday:

Tuesday:
5x5 Deadlifts
5x5 Weighted Chins
5x5 Push Presses (Jerks)

Fuckin get huge with all that testosterone being released!!!

:smiley:

The testosterone or “gh” being released during exercise has very little, if anything, to do with how much muscle you gain.

The idea of the entire body seeing growth from certain exercises has more to do with the overall stress initiated from doing those exercises.

Squats done with a weight over 400lbs for several reps is going to send your entire body into a semi state of shock. Your body can adapt by increasing the growth of all muscle groups involved.

The same could be said about just about any truly heavy movement from bench press to, yes, even biceps curls. It is a matter of degrees of stress…not degrees of testosterone release.

I hate to be “that guy,” but worrying about exercises that “release testosterone” is kind of pointless. There’s better shit to spend your time on.

It may make some minimal difference, but you’re gonna get big from lifting progressively more and eating big/resting.

Yeah true, but Deadlifts Squats and Chins seem to put the body under a lot of stress (Especially Deadlifts).

And i cant really hit benches hard right now due to my shoulder, so im doing exercises that don’t hurt it.

Shoulder presses don’t hurt it (weird) but bench presses do.

Im scared to stop doing them cause i dont want to lose size in my chest and triceps.

But people tell me if i were to do deadlifts squats and chins that i could maintain? For about 2-3 weeks until the injury heels a bit better.

PX beat me exactly to what I was going to say and what I once made a thread for.

The MINOR and TEMPORARY release of GH and T during exercise does nill for growth. Your lab values for GH and T are what they are, that’s it! No exercise will make these values increase significantly.

[quote]Rippemanewone wrote:
Yeah true, but Deadlifts Squats and Chins seem to put the body under a lot of stress (Especially Deadlifts).

And i cant really hit benches hard right now due to my shoulder, so im doing exercises that don’t hurt it.

Shoulder presses don’t hurt it (weird) but bench presses do.

Im scared to stop doing them cause i dont want to lose size in my chest and triceps.

But people tell me if i were to do deadlifts squats and chins that i could maintain? For about 2-3 weeks until the injury heels a bit better.[/quote]

I think if bench presses are hurting your shoulder, it can be helped with a higher ratio of pulling:pressing, i.e - do more barbell/dumbbell rows and pull ups.

External rotations for your rotator cuff help too.

Im worried its a rotator cuff injury but im sure if it was id be in excrutiating pain right? the pain is coming from the back of the shoulder not the front. I can do shoulder presses like i said and that doesnt hurt

Deadlifts will really hit you shoulders and trapezius. Keep that in mind.

GH release is negligible. However, you will have a more efficient training session, more muscles hit in less time.

Even if you took a few weeks off training completely, you wont lose much size or strength, you will lose some endurance.

my two cents. Hope your shoulder gets better!

Sleeping is probably the best “GH releasing” activity.

Here’s a weird question that I wondered about, can’t emotional states alter your testosterone levels?

So you could get really pissed or horny right before you lift, wouldn’t that raise your T-levels?

Though based on what Professor X said, it probably won’t make a whole lot of difference anyway, it’s probably not even worth bothering to do anything to alter your T-levels emotionally.

The best GH releasing activity is pressing the plunger with your thumb.

Im worried its a rotator cuff injury but im sure if it was id be in excrutiating pain right? the pain is coming from the back of the shoulder not the front. I can do shoulder presses like i said and that doesnt hurt[/quote]

If you ripped ur cuff, you’d be in pain. I used to have pain in the rear of my shoulder(a dull ache), which happened cuz i was doing waaaay to much pushing and not enough pulling.

Thinking of Starting this new routine this week.

Tuesday:
5x5 Deadlifts
5x5 Weighted Chins
5x5 Push Presses (Jerks)

Thursday:
5x5 Squats
5x5 Weighted Chins
5x5 Push Presses (Jerks)

Saturday:

Tuesday:
5x5 Deadlifts
5x5 Weighted Chins
5x5 Push Presses (Jerks)

Fuckin get huge with all that testosterone being released!!!

:D[/quote]

The best growth I ever experienced was while I was training with low volume using only the most basic compound movements for three days so it looked something like what you are doing except I still did benches and squats. I did it over the summer and upped my deadlift by about 100lbs, my squat about 60lbs, and my bench…well I’m working on that

Edit:
Forgot to mention that muscle growth was about 15lbs of lean mass so it was a success no matter how you look at it.

fyi, a push press is different then a jerk or push jerk.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Sleeping is probably the best “GH releasing” activity. [/quote]

I overtrained with this activity, was late for work

[quote]Steel88 wrote:

The best growth I ever experienced was while I was training with low volume using only the most basic compound movements for three days so it looked something like what you are doing except I still did benches and squats. I did it over the summer and upped my deadlift by about 100lbs, my squat about 60lbs, and my bench…well I’m working on that

Edit:
Forgot to mention that muscle growth was about 15lbs of lean mass so it was a success no matter how you look at it.[/quote]

Sorry Tuesday and Saturday i meant to put weighted dips, Thursday was suppose to be a push jerk day. I do squats on Wednesdays and dead’s Tuesday and Thursdays.

So my routine looks more like this.

Tuesday:
Weighted Dips 5x5
Weighted Chins 5x5
Deadlifts 5x3 (I go really heavy)

Thursday:
Push Jerks 5x5
Weighted Chins 5x5
Squats 5x7 (Go higher reps)

Saturday:
Weighted Dips 5x5
Weighted Chins 5x5
Deadlifts 5x3

Sunday and Monday: OFF

I dont do benches much anymore, just for a warm up, i stick to dips cause they are easier on my shoulders.

I too am confused about this. Does this mean that the GH release (aside from a negligible amount) is the same with a hard total body workout when compared to a split of say chest and bis (temporary or long term?)

By GH I assume you mean Growth Hormone, which is not testosterone. I have not heard that GH is released more by certain exercises than others, but I’m sure that compound lifts have a greater effect than single joint lifts. However, the rest between sets has been correlated to GH release, which is oddly enough totally opposite to testosterone release.

GH Release Increase: higher reps with less than a minute rest between sets

Testosterone Release Increase: lower reps, heavy load, 2-3 minutes rest between sets

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Sleeping is probably the best “GH releasing” activity.

I overtrained with this activity, was late for work[/quote]

You need some time off. Don’t sleep for a week and then try again.