T Nation

GH-Free Milk

There has been a run of new ads for Garelick Farms (may be just a New England area company) that sells thier milk as “growth hormone free”.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t beef cattle given growth drugs and not milking cows?

Why would milking cows recieve growth drugs anyway?

It appears to me that they are claiming something that’s already a given in the dairy industry and playing on the whole “organic & drug free” thing.

The ad never mentions whether or not thier cows are “drug or hormone free” just “growth hormone free”.

Seems a bit disengenuous to me.

I think it’s similar to claiming foods like Oreo cookies are “TRANS FAT FREE”, my god, eat them by the bag folks they are damned good for you!!!

I’m not sure if they use GH for milk cows, but they are pumped full of hormones to keep them bigger and make it seem like they’re pregnant so that they produce milk throughout the year.

I just go with organic milk. Don’t fall for milk products that say “No Added Hormones”. No milk companies add hormones to the milk. What you want (if you want hormone free) is guy Certified Organic (will have small USDA organic symbol) so that the cows that give the milk aren’t pumped full of hormones.

[quote]derek wrote:
There has been a run of new ads for Garelick Farms (may be just a New England area company) that sells thier milk as “growth hormone free”.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t beef cattle given growth drugs and not milking cows?

Why would milking cows recieve growth drugs anyway?

It appears to me that they are claiming something that’s already a given in the dairy industry and playing on the whole “organic & drug free” thing.

The ad never mentions whether or not thier cows are “drug or hormone free” just “growth hormone free”.

Seems a bit disengenuous to me.
[/quote]

Wait…an ad that is a little “disingenuous”? I personally am so shocked I just peed myself.

Dairy cows can be given BGH and it increases their milk production significantly. However it appears to have some side effects on the cows that aren’t worth it. The FDA says that BGH is harmless for humans, but some people disagree with that. If you do a search of dairy cows and hormones you get a lot of stuff, here is a link

http://www.awionline.org/farm/rbgh.htm

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Wait…an ad that is a little “disingenuous”? I personally am so shocked I just peed myself.[/quote]

A little sarcasm on my part (and yours obviously)

I know ads slant things toward thier products but I’m a little weary of peole falling for all thier bullshit, ya know?

I’m so disturbed by misleading advertising, I’m going outside to smoke a Marlboro, drink a Budweiser and buy me some fat-free gummi-bears.

[quote]derek wrote:

I’m so disturbed by misleading advertising, I’m going outside to smoke a Marlboro, drink a Budweiser and buy me some fat-free gummi-bears.
[/quote]

Camels are much better for you than Marlboros. They have the least chemical additives of all cigarettes!

The growth hormone they are talking about is ‘bovine growth hormone’ produced by Monsanto.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=axU9ngbTxKw&mode=related&search=

You’d be better off finding a local farmer who produces and sells raw milk.

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

[quote]Jason32 wrote:
The growth hormone they are talking about is ‘bovine growth hormone’ produced by Monsanto.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=axU9ngbTxKw&mode=related&search=

You’d be better off finding a local farmer who produces and sells raw milk.

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html[/quote]

In what ways would you be better off specifically?

In these ways:

http://www.notmilk.com/

[quote]Sinuous wrote:
In these ways:

http://www.notmilk.com/
[/quote]

Hahahahahahaha

wheeze

Hahahahahahaha

[quote]derek wrote:
A little sarcasm on my part (and yours obviously)

I know ads slant things toward thier products but I’m a little weary of peole falling for all thier bullshit, ya know?

I’m so disturbed by misleading advertising, I’m going outside to smoke a Marlboro, drink a Budweiser and buy me some fat-free gummi-bears.
[/quote]

Well, if you were at all concerned about your health, you’d smoke Marlboro LIGHTS, and drink Bud LIGHT. At least those gummy bears won’t get you fat.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Jason32 wrote:
The growth hormone they are talking about is ‘bovine growth hormone’ produced by Monsanto.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=axU9ngbTxKw&mode=related&search=

You’d be better off finding a local farmer who produces and sells raw milk.

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

In what ways would you be better off specifically?[/quote]

Sure check out this link:

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_milk_health_benefits.html

I’m sure that most here are well aware that a lot of the old school iron gurus (like Vince Gironda) advocated the consumption of large quantites of raw milk for muscle growth (see link below).

http://www.westonaprice.org/men/splendidspecimens.html

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Sinuous wrote:
In these ways:

http://www.notmilk.com/

Hahahahahahaha

wheeze

Hahahahahahaha[/quote]

If you didn’t drink milk, you wouldn’t be wheezing every time you laugh. You’re clearly exhibiting signs of congestion.

…and yeah, I’m definitely being facetious.