T Nation

GH and Testosterone Study

I found an article in Fitness RX magazine at the grocery store about hormonal increases from training.

It said Finnish researchers found that sub-maximal and/or explosive workouts such as OL had minimal effects on GH and testosterone whereas the study group that performed 5 sets of 10 reps to failure greatly increased GH and testosterone.

They claimed this was why OL had moderate musclular development even though they were very strong while bodybuilders develope very large muscles from higher reps to failure.

Comments?

Bullshit.

Im going to go out on a limb (playing the devils advocate) and say that I dont think the hormonal response to training is that important as far as GH and testosterone go.. . I mean it only spikes them for a brief window of time after which it actually goes below baseline.. . which means that spike would only go so far to evening and averaging out the dive later on post workout. ..

Do you have any research to back this up? I agree, I even thought I read the opposite before, that OL workout's caused the greatest and longest increase in testosterone post-workout.

Im going to go out on a limb (playing the devils advocate) and say that I dont think the hormonal response to training is that important as far as GH and testosterone go.. . I mean it only spikes them for a brief window of time after which it actually goes below baseline.. . which means that spike would only go so far to evening and averaging out the dive later on post workout. ..[/quote]

The article claimed GH and testosterone from training were the main reasons for muscle growth, without them you just get strength i.e. small/strong O lifters