GH and Bone Healing

Has anyone ever used GH to help a broken bone heal? I know that it is supposed to increase bone density, but I’m not sure if it would be of any use to me. I’m having a free vascularized fibular bone graft done on my right hip in two weeks, and my goal is to get the femoral head to heal as quickly and completely as possible.

The worst case with this surgery is that the graft fails, and the osteonecrosis progresses to the point of head collapse. In that case, a total hip replacement is my only option, which would suck at the age of (by that time) 30.

Any experience or knowledge of efficacy, dose, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Avoid prednisone and similar hormones as they cause bone loss and bone death. Did you use such drugs in the past? T should be used to offset the effects of long term prednisone use. The results are predicable and could be the basis of a legal action.

Best thing for your bones is high normal testosterone levels, high dose vit-D [4,000 - 6,000 iu/day], DHEA, trace elements. If GH is low, inject GH. T is needed to maintain the collagen matrix in your bones.

Sample of trace elements needed in this product:

Support general metabolism with EFAs, supplements, DHEA, acetyl-l-carnitine, lipoic acid, CoQ10. If you are using statin drugs, those are reducing your CoQ10. You need EFAs to have health cell walls in the new cells that you are attempting to grow.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
You don’t provide an excess of information, but it sounds like you have osteonecrosis of the femoral head. This is a vascular condition promarily and is worsened by high intramural (within the bone) pressure caused by (amongt other things, corticosteroids, which release fat into the blood, causing occlusion of the microvasculature within the head of the femur.

Now it’s been a while since I looked at this and I had a late night last night, but I don’t think GH is really the drug choice for you.

You see, it’s not like you have a local, regional or general loss of bone mineral density. So it’s not like you have excess osteoclastic (BMD reducing) activity, or a reducation in osteoblastic (BMD increasing) activity. Instead, you have (from memory - hope it is correct) localised bone tissue death, caused by lack of blood supply.

I would think that blood thinners might allow some degree of resupply of blood, but if it’s too late, then the bone graft is probably the best option. One that has been done, then tes, re-integartion if the bone matrix into the resectioned area is important, but what about isolating the cause of the blood supply issues?

I know that often Drs label this as ‘ideopathic’ but I suspect there is always a cause - it depends just how dedicated the Dr is to finding it.

BBB[/quote]

The osteonecrosis is the result of trauma to the femoral head (hip dislocation) and the associated vasculature. This occurred about 22 months ago, and progression was visible on MRI at 18 months. It is the opinion of the docs at Duke Medical that I have the graft done, and since they are the world experts on the matter I am doing what they say.

Since the surgery basically involves coring out the dead bone from the femoral head and filling the space with living bone, I thought it might be a possibility that GH could be used to aid in the recovery process by speeding up the rate of bone growth.

Obviously it is entirely possible that I am way off base here.

i would talk to the doctors about it (seriously). we often overlook the fact that they really are experts at their craft (some of them anyway). Talk openly about it to them…you might be surprised at the response.

[quote]morepain wrote:
i would talk to the doctors about it (seriously). we often overlook the fact that they really are experts at their craft (some of them anyway). Talk openly about it to them…you might be surprised at the response. [/quote]

Good advice, I simply have not had the opportunity since I found out about this a week ago and my appointment with my ortho is not until 11/11.

I just know I have to find out soon so I can make arrangements. I’m getting cut in 10 days.

2 x 2iu E3D should do it, as long as you inject at least i.m. and preferrably i.v.

BBB[/quote]

Is that what you would recommend for any injury recovery cycle of GH?

Steel Nation wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
You don’t provide an excess of information, but it sounds like you have osteonecrosis of the femoral head. This is a vascular condition promarily and is worsened by high intramural (within the bone) pressure caused by (amongt other things, corticosteroids, which release fat into the blood, causing occlusion of the microvasculature within the head of the femur.

Now it’s been a while since I looked at this and I had a late night last night, but I don’t think GH is really the drug choice for you.

You see, it’s not like you have a local, regional or general loss of bone mineral density. So it’s not like you have excess osteoclastic (BMD reducing) activity, or a reducation in osteoblastic (BMD increasing) activity. Instead, you have (from memory - hope it is correct) localised bone tissue death, caused by lack of blood supply.

I would think that blood thinners might allow some degree of resupply of blood, but if it’s too late, then the bone graft is probably the best option. One that has been done, then tes, re-integartion if the bone matrix into the resectioned area is important, but what about isolating the cause of the blood supply issues?

I know that often Drs label this as ‘ideopathic’ but I suspect there is always a cause - it depends just how dedicated the Dr is to finding it.

BBB

The osteonecrosis is the result of trauma to the femoral head (hip dislocation) and the associated vasculature. This occurred about 22 months ago, and progression was visible on MRI at 18 months. It is the opinion of the docs at Duke Medical that I have the graft done, and since they are the world experts on the matter I am doing what they say.

Since the surgery basically involves coring out the dead bone from the femoral head and filling the space with living bone, I thought it might be a possibility that GH could be used to aid in the recovery process by speeding up the rate of bone growth.

Obviously it is entirely possible that I am way off base here.

Ah OK, the trauma part was the missing link in terms of patient history.

As long as the ON is not of unknown cause then a bone graft should not be a wasted procedure.

And yes, GH should assist in the healing phase as well as the remodelling phase (which lasts about 18-24 months BTW).

2 x 2iu E3D should do it, as long as you inject at least i.m. and preferrably i.v.

BBB[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it.

One more question: Why is IV preferable to IM?

Detroitlionsbaby wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

BBB

Is that what you would recommend for any injury recovery cycle of GH?

Pretty much, though bear in mind that it would be ‘best’ to use GH for the entire period of the bone remodelling phase, which is at least 18 months. This means that you need to be frugal, due to obvious cost issues.

If it were a soft tissue surgery, I might suggest higher doses, for a shorter overal period.

Also, depending on the patient, it might be a priority of theirs to maximise muscle retention and reduce the likelihood of fat gain, due to downtime from training.

What I mean is that if a high level BBer asked me do design a GH protocol for their injury, and their injury completely prevented them from training, then I would see the retention of muscle/prevention of fat gain to be part of their ‘recovery’ if only from a psychological perspective, and would tailor the protocol to reflect this.

Dammit, another nootropic-inspired wordy post.

BBB[/quote]

Hey I am okay with that! lol, you are like the Langston Hughes of steroids. I could listen to it all day! So, I am the guy with the ligament injuries in the wrists. Would a 2iu X 3 times a day be better? All IV taken with high dose of glucosamine and some an HA shot? Thanks!

I assume that IV entails some risks that would demand a higher level of technique to avoid infection and that very few would have any idea how to do this right.