Getting Weaker When Bench Gets Heavy

Greetings, all.

OK, I’m on my 3rd week of my 3rd month of using the 5/3/1 protcol for the big lifts.

On everything else I’m doing just fine. When it comes to bench, I’m hitting rep PRs when it calls for higher reps, and I hang any where below 255lb. But if I go above that, it’s a no go.

For instance, last month I hit 240lbs for 7 reps. A week ago I hit 250lb for 6. Then today, I hit 265lb for a fucking single. I recharged and went again, and was able to get two. Which is ridiculous, because before I started the 5/3/1 protocol, I was able to hit 275lb for 3 reps. Now I could barely hit 265lb for 2. Hell, a couple months ago I hit 255lb for 2 sets of 5, then a few weeks later, I was barely able to hit 265lb for 3 reps.

What the hell is going on?

I usually get more of my presses with lower TM, when I approach weights that are 90% of my estimated 1RM my progression suffers.

Anyway, sounds just like a couple really bad days. Maybe you we’re underecovered or you we’re too stuffed mentally when starting the set ( Getting anxious before new heavy PR can really ruin your concentration).

So my advice is: lower your TM a bit and attack your bench with a different plan. It can be different frequency, more (or less) volume, different assistance etc. Whatever you seem to need.

Check out Jims website. He just posted awesome article about the bench press and how to overcome plateaus in the movement.

[quote]CaliberWinfield wrote:
Greetings, all.

OK, I’m on my 3rd week of my 3rd month of using the 5/3/1 protcol for the big lifts.

On everything else I’m doing just fine. When it comes to bench, I’m hitting rep PRs when it calls for higher reps, and I hang any where below 255lb. But if I go above that, it’s a no go.

For instance, last month I hit 240lbs for 7 reps. A week ago I hit 250lb for 6. Then today, I hit 265lb for a fucking single. I recharged and went again, and was able to get two. Which is ridiculous, because before I started the 5/3/1 protocol, I was able to hit 275lb for 3 reps. Now I could barely hit 265lb for 2. Hell, a couple months ago I hit 255lb for 2 sets of 5, then a few weeks later, I was barely able to hit 265lb for 3 reps.

What the hell is going on? [/quote]

Doing 5/3/1 doesn’t mean the same thing for everyone, and there are ways to mess it up. Also, if the other three lifts are progressing, then ride that wave. All four lifts will not progress at once. Some may even suffer for a couple of cycles. Keep at it.

What was your training week like before?

What is your training week like now?

Let us know the answers to those questions, and I bet the answer will be clear.