T Nation

Getting Tossed Out of Class

hey guys im in high school and I wanted to make a thread of what happend to me today, Im in class, this is a sports medicine class. The teacher thinks he knows everything and today he was talking about how protein powder is dum because the body can only use 80g a day. Thats when I raised why hang and said im sorry but your wrong. He said you could be 200 pounds or 50 and your intake should be the same at 80g.

I again raisd my hang and said you couldnt be more wrong. Name me one person who got big on 80g of protein. Thats when he gave me a face and went on to the next talk of discussion. He then said low carb diets dont work because the body needs at least 100g of carbs a day. Thats when again i raised my hang and said yiu could live off 0g of carbs. Your body will use ketones as fuel. He then said there is no such thing and your body needs that many.

Then I said so when a bodybuilder gets ready for a show what do you think he does eat tons of carbs a day? thats when he started yelling and threw me out of his class. I was laughing so hard i thought I was going to die as I walked out. Damn smuck.

That’s not a good story. I know the misinformation can be shocking, but that’s that.

People are dumb, so shut up and let them be dumb. All you accomplished is getting kicked out of class. Never get in a pissing contest with the man on the balcony above you.

I understand the frustration, but sometimes you just have to bite your tongue in those situations.

I was in a nutrition class back in college and the teacher said that protein powders were a waste of money and you only needed to add ‘an egg white or two’ to your diet and that’s more than enough protein.

I knew she was wrong, but what was I going to do? Argue with her and then she fails me?

Pick your battles, I guess.

Exactly, AV. It’s just not worth it.

When I was an undergrad I had to take a generic intro nutrition class and the big final project was a fod log and analysis. Among the funnier things that happened in that class, I had something written down like “2 pounds of chicken” and the instructor corrected it and wrote “two oz.” I went back and was pissed and had to explain to her that no, I in fact ate several pounds of chicken that day and would have eaten more if I wasn’t so broke. It devolved into an argument about the role of carbohydrate and saturated fats in obesity.

Now, in my defense, my grade in that class had more to do with my mediocre performance than it did with that exchange, but still it wasn’t smart.

Two more loosely related points:

1)There are two kinds of nutrition/fitness experts I have no use for whatsoever. The skinny and weak or fat and out of shape turds who clearly have no way of knowing if their knowledge works because they can’t apply it to themselves and the person who, although they may have a good physique, has essentially the same body they’ve had their entire lives. I don’t think either of them really walk the walk. Don’t tell me I don’t need more protein if you can’t lift a grocery sack and don’t tell me I eat too much fat if you have the same four abs you’ve had through every beer bender and crash diet you’ve ever done.

1. What the hell high school do you go to that has a “sports medicine” class?

[quote]conorh wrote:
Exactly, AV. It’s just not worth it.

When I was an undergrad I had to take a generic intro nutrition class and the big final project was a fod log and analysis. Among the funnier things that happened in that class, I had something written down like “2 pounds of chicken” and the instructor corrected it and wrote “two oz.” I went back and was pissed and had to explain to her that no, I in fact ate several pounds of chicken that day and would have eaten more if I wasn’t so broke. It devolved into an argument about the role of carbohydrate and saturated fats in obesity.

Now, in my defense, my grade in that class had more to do with my mediocre performance than it did with that exchange, but still it wasn’t smart.

Two more loosely related points:

1)There are two kinds of nutrition/fitness experts I have no use for whatsoever. The skinny and weak or fat and out of shape turds who clearly have no way of knowing if their knowledge works because they can’t apply it to themselves and the person who, although they may have a good physique, has essentially the same body they’ve had their entire lives. I don’t think either of them really walk the walk. Don’t tell me I don’t need more protein if you can’t lift a grocery sack and don’t tell me I eat too much fat if you have the same four abs you’ve had through every beer bender and crash diet you’ve ever done.

1. What the hell high school do you go to that has a “sports medicine” class?[/quote]

I go to a regular public school and we happen to have a gym teacher who teaches it. Most schools dont have it though.

yea i kno it probably was a bad idea, im just happy ill be gone in 3 weeks haha but yea I probably should of just shutup

Does “why hang” mean “my hand”?

Pig Latin, I guess.

excellent question lixy. i presume the answer is yes

yea it does hah

how do you raise ur hang? wtf

[quote]crod266 wrote:
I again raisd my hang and said you couldnt be more wrong. [/quote]

No teacher will react well when you tell them in front of the entire class that they “couldn’t be more wrong”. They’d probably take it as a sign of disrespect.

I took Advanced Placement Biology this year, so I had to learn all the standard info about how high protein is bad, carbs are absolutely necessary, ect. I just sit there and don’t say anything, and answer “true” to test questions like “Carbs are essential for humans”. No point in arguing with a teacher who will not change their mind, no matter what.

You should have just laughed and then p’ed on his car.

Maybe you could’ve taken notes what your teacher seems misinformed on, do research to find what are contrary to your teacher’s facts, and show them to him before or after school the next day. Teachers can be wrong but the good ones learn from their students.

If I were your teacher I’d be turned off by how you reacted to my misinformation. I’d think that you just wanted attention or to pick a fight, which seniors (which I assume you are) seem likely to do as graduation nears.

I think you should question the teacher, just not publicly. If you really want to discuss the issue with him, ask him after class. You made it a pissing contest, but I do think it is good that you are active in your own education and are questioning the dogma. Just use a little tact.

The teacher may even have been interested if you had presented the info to him in a non-confrontational manner.

I’ll take a lower mark any day than let some idiot teacher/prof say stupid things. Same goes for doctors. I used to get in a lot of trouble in high school. It was totally worth it.

The way to do it without attacking them, is to ask them to explain themselves like you are truly interested in their answer. They won’t be able to explain it.

e.g you could have asked your teacher why the body only uses 80g protein a day. Then you can go two routes. Ask what happens to any protein used over that amount, or ask him which study suggests that amount. He won’t be able to answer #1 because it will probably expose a logical fallacy of his, and he won’t be able to answer #2 because there are no studies that suggest that. If he tries ignore your questions, you can get a little more aggressive, and ask him if it is really a good idea for him to be teaching things he doesn’t know the science behind.

In the end, you will pretty much have schooled him without ever making one direct attack.

It is true that alot of seniors would do that for attention but i didnt. I said it very politly and wasnt aggresive. He was the one who tanked so what can you do. If you cant have a debate in class than whats the point of the class. You should discuss issues.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
You should have just laughed and then p’ed on his car.[/quote]

that could of been my senior prank…haha joking

You did the right thing, you would have looked back for the rest of your life saying damn I wish I would have owned that dumbass if you didnt say that stuff to him.

So true.

I still regret not standing up to power-tripping teachers in grade 3.