Last time I was in the gym I decided to do the following:
95=10 reps
135= 5 reps
185= 5 reps
205= 3 reps
225= 2 reps
250= 2 reps
300= 1 rep [went up fast not too taxing or too close to a 1 rep max]
Went down to whatever I’m doing for my working set=I got two more reps than I usually do with at least one more rep left in the tank]

I will be continuing this experiment but wanted insight into whether I was just having a good day or does anyone think after doing the heavy [but not too heavy 1 rep] the working set was easier and that’s why I got more reps than usual?

Oh, and no I don’t train like a PL I get plenty of volume in afterwards.

-thefreshmanverve

[quote]thefreshmanverve wrote:

-thefreshmanverve
[/quote]

I feel like your notion of how powerlifters do and do not train is fundamentally flawed.

That said, I don’t really see much difference between the two warm ups that you posted. It seems like in the case of the first one you were working in the 5-7 rep range whereas in the second one it was for a heavy single, so it’s hard to even say which method created more success.

EDIT: After reading the reply below, I realize I misread your original post.

This is generally referred to as an over-warm up. Essentially, you hit a heavy single, which really activates your nervous system and then lets you get more reps on your actual work sets with a lower weight. It works very well because neuroscience.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

-thefreshmanverve
[/quote]

That said, I don’t really see much difference between the two warm ups that you posted. It seems like in the case of the first one you were working in the 5-7 rep range whereas in the second one it was for a heavy single, so it’s hard to even say which method created more success.[/quote]

Classic.

OP: Yeah, pretty common approach. Works decently well usually, but won’t make much of a difference at the end of the day.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

-thefreshmanverve
[/quote]

That said, I don’t really see much difference between the two warm ups that you posted. It seems like in the case of the first one you were working in the 5-7 rep range whereas in the second one it was for a heavy single, so it’s hard to even say which method created more success.[/quote]

Classic.

[/quote]

Tell me about it, haha. Slept on the floor last night and got woken up every 20 minutes to take care of a sick person, it’s a miracle I’m even forming words.

"I feel like your notion of how powerlifters do and do not train is fundamentally flawed. "

What I mean is that I don’t really care about numbers, with exception of bench all of my working sets
on main exercises are 9 reps +. I don’t use a belt anymore, and gauge effectiveness of workouts with
how good of a pump I get.

Tried it again, the “over warm-up” works.

I do a supramaximal warm-up for my sets of 8, but I don’t for my lower rep sets.

Charles Poliquin wrote about this method on his site in April. He doesn’t go into much detail on his articles now but you may find it worth a read.

“Charles Poliquin wrote about this method on his site in April. He doesn’t go into much detail on his articles now but you may find it worth a read.”

The effect is known as post-tetanic potentiation.

I’ve tried it out a couple more times with surprisingly good results; increasing weight and getting same reps on each working set.

I used the post-tetanic potentiation concept again today.

I warmed up for a Close Grip Decline working set by doing Close Grip Floor Presses similar as described in my original post.

Difference of 3 reps or 33.333% with same weight from the previous work out.

Next step=try it with squats.