Getting to a 400 lb. Deadlift

[quote]Heracles_rocks wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

I’m down guys. Current best with straps is 535, but current best without is 525. Currently getting over my pissed off piriformis/glutes. But will be in on this in a week or two. [/quote]

Any issues with the rules set forth thus far within?

[/quote]

Sounds good to me, though as brad asked are we going to use straps? Maybe i missed it, but an important one to think about. [/quote]

BL was cool with them I believe, and I don’t care either.

I can’t use them from the floor as they fuck up my whole flow, but yeah if you want go for it.

I mean straps from the floor are an insult to jesus himself, but hey, who am I to judge ;)[/quote]

Sounds good, and to get things going. Here is my second deadlift attempt from my meet in july. Went for a pr on my 3rd but had nothing left.

[/quote]

Nicely done.

good shit man, when the thread shows up, I’ll update your start to 515…

I’m not 100% on the title, let me know if you want me to change it.

[quote]biglifter wrote:

fml, is that 550? You are much better at that “grind the fucker out” thing than I am, I either hit it, ramp it or drop that shit, lol. I’m going to get killed here, but I’m going down swinging like a motherfucker.

How tall are you?

I was hoping to test Friday[/quote]

If it breaks the ground, 99% likely to go up.

And I’m 5’5", you know, one of them weak annoying manlets.[/quote]

that’s typical of sumo style.

and you’re one strong fucking “manlet”.

good shit man, when the thread shows up, I’ll update your start to 515…

I’m not 100% on the title, let me know if you want me to change it.[/quote]

Thanks BL and thanks beans.

Sounds good man, and it doesn’t have to be anything complicated, maybe CB’s Deadlift Challenge would be sufficient.

CB’s Deadlift Challenge would be sufficient. [/quote]

lol, went a bit more juvenile than that.

Just waiting for it to show up.

You’ll know it when you see it, i need to go lay in bed and not sleep for another night. If you see it first, link it here plz.

EDIT:

get some

CB’s Deadlift Challenge would be sufficient. [/quote]

lol, went a bit more juvenile than that.

Just waiting for it to show up.

You’ll know it when you see it, i need to go lay in bed and not sleep for another night. If you see it first, link it here plz.

EDIT:

get some[/quote]

LMAO, you certainly did.

[quote]Prof wrote:
In as well[/quote]

For which race dawg?[/quote]

I’m at 485 now, so a ways off…but definitely aiming for 600. I’ll get in on the new thread asap

[quote]Prof wrote:

[quote]Prof wrote:
In as well[/quote]

For which race dawg?[/quote]

I’m at 485 now, so a ways off…but definitely aiming for 600. I’ll get in on the new thread asap[/quote]

Close enough, I’ll add you now.

About 5’7". I’ve always had decent strength regardless of bodyweight.
Here’s my first 600+, 605 done 6/7/11. Bodyweight was 205, used a loose metal deadlifter , and was 47, 48 now.
The actual weight was 619.5, I weigh all my plates btw.

[quote]Alffi wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

…This, plus tight fascia/calves/hams etc… Can really make it difficult for some to pull 405 regardless of stance. Not impossible at all, but for me it was probably easier to bench 405…

[/quote]

Seriously?

I’d compare a 405 dead with a 225 - 250 bench in terms of accomplishment or degree of difficulty.
[/quote]

Agreed . I was just shy of it at 19 and 132 lbs . It’s not that hard for a grown man .[/quote]
Were you also very short?[/quote]

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
You guys and your run at 600 makes me want to run at 5 with anyone. I know there are “Race to XXX” threads, but they’re mostly people coming in whenever saying “I’m down, I’m 10 #'s away, blah blah” and it’s a continuous run.

Anyone pulling sub-450 wanna go for 500?[/quote]

Joyce, I’m down

I’m pulling around 415 ish at the moment … At the rate I’m going I should be able to pull 500 soon enough … where are you at?[/quote]
Sweet. 435 at a meet a couple months ago, but I know I’m a bit north of that now. Hit a “moderately easy” 425 last week, but not much deadlifting in my programming right now. Still, I’ll race ya!

I mean straps from the floor are an insult to jesus himself, but hey, who am I to judge ;)[/quote]

God damn I almost choked on my protein shake.

Hey hey can I play with the big boys. I’ll join the push for 600. I’m at 475 planning on going for either 485 or just saying fuck it and going for 5 plates next week. Bodyweight is 193.

I deadlifted 405x1 when i was 19… i weighed between 210 and 220 tho.
currently working my way back up to those numbers. I took a looong hiatus.

I’m surprised nobody’s posted in here for a month, especially given all the new posters I’ve seen in that time span.

I’m running 531 just so I have a progression model to follow. I tested myself for a 1RM a month ago and hit 335, which at the time was a PR+40 lb. injuries and poor technique had limited me up to this point. I then started supersetting ab work in with whatever isolation work I was doing after doing no direct ab work for a year and some (bad, I know).

this was my 3rd week on a working max of 300, pulled 285x8 which felt easy so I said why not try for a new 1RM? I chalked up, worked up to and pulled 365, alternating grip, no belt.

I’m gonna run another 3 weeks at the new 1RM then hopefully pull 405 with chalk/no belt.

ive been close to a 405 the last year, but everytime id get close life would own me and i’d be out for a month or more…

Last thursday I felt like crap, but said id go the gym anyways, got two double cheese burgers on the way cause my lunch was small… worked up to 315 for 8, went for 365 for a double, did 385 for a single and felt great so said F it and pulled an ungly 405 while telling myself mentally it was light and I could do this no problem…

anyways, glad to break that barrier, now time for 495… at the time I weighed 192±2 and am up to running 9 miles at a time in my marathon training…

still need to drop 15 more pounds to lean up…

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
ive been close to a 405 the last year, but everytime id get close life would own me and i’d be out for a month or more…

Last thursday I felt like crap, but said id go the gym anyways, got two double cheese burgers on the way cause my lunch was small… worked up to 315 for 8, went for 365 for a double, did 385 for a single and felt great so said F it and pulled an ungly 405 while telling myself mentally it was light and I could do this no problem…

anyways, glad to break that barrier, now time for 495… at the time I weighed 192±2 and am up to running 9 miles at a time in my marathon training…

still need to drop 15 more pounds to lean up…[/quote]

funny how you can accomplish what you think is impossible despite feeling like crap! my first pull at 335 was done after a 12 hour workday and unsure form.

good luck buddy!

Maybe we should have started this thread by defining “GYM”. There is a HUGE difference between what was SanDiego Barbell/American Iron in Reno/MonsterGarageGym/Frantz/Quad City and your typical 24hrs of LA Bally’s
Planet Fatness.

Of course in those latter named places you are not going to see four plate deads/squats or 3 plate benches as you would have with the previously mentioned proper Gym’s !

My squat is shit @355# but I get the funniest looks when I am in SD @ 24/La Fatness, or when I max @415 on the dead. Yeah, I am not at 5 plates…yet but give me till Halloween of 2012.

Then again maybe I should shut up about people not knowing a squat rack from their ass as it is always OPEN ; )

au contraire mon frere.

my LA Fatness has a few guys that can pull 4-5pps for reps and a couple that can bench 4-5pps for reps. squatting is not as good but I have seen some guys who probably weigh around 200 squat 3 pps for reps. there is one monster by the name of George that squatted 6pps for 5-6 reps with a belt and knee wraps, he made it look like a warmup. friggin guy told me once that he was trying to get to a 1900 total with a belt and knee wraps. he had hands like oven mitts.

ofc the great majority are your usual half-ROMers and those that deadlift with their backs…

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
and those that deadlift with their backs… [/quote]

?

And how else would one deadlift? Perhaps if you start using your back you might reach your goal :slight_smile:

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
and those that deadlift with their backs… [/quote]

?

And how else would one deadlift? Perhaps if you start using your back you might reach your goal :)[/quote]

X2 I always thought of the DL as more as a back movement more than anything, I am aware it incorporates the legs but I feel it is mainly a back movement.