T Nation

Getting Tired of the Same Diet

I’ve been doing the same diet as long as I can remember. For the most part it’s worked (55lbs in 1 year w/ 0% fat gain) but I decided to put up here since advice never hurts. Plus… I’m getting tired of the same thing over and over and over.

Breakfast
1 pack oatmeal (2 on training days)
3 eggs (2 on training days)
1.5 cups blueberries/raspberries

Snack 1
yogurt w/ granola
mixed nuts or peanut butter

Snack 2
Shake

Lunch
varied, 40g protein, 60g-ish carbs on/30g off, 25g fats, 800-1000 calories depending on how much i can shove down.

snack 3
tuna salad w/ grain crakers or cottage cheese w/ fruit

snack 4
shake

snack 5
shake w/ raw veggies or fruit off training
Surge on training

dinner
lg. chicken breast
2 cups mixed veggies off training, 2 cups rice on training

bedtime
shake w/ whole milk
greens+

Supplements:
BCAA
ZMA
Creatine
Surge (post workout shake)
Multivitamin

Any suggestions on additions/changes? Also, I’ve been looking into the beta-7 but haven’t heard any personal accounts if it’s worth it.

I’m 5’8" 175lbs currently, up from 120, with a very high metabolism and high carb tolerance. Calories are always a struggle for me since it takes so many.

Beef, turkey, different veggies, try new things, spices will be huge get creative try new ones if need be get a book, just generally try new stuff bro. there was a great article by Chef Lisa the other day and she also has a running thread on recipes

Phill

You’ve gained 55lbs of fat free mass in one year on this diet? The best advice you can get is to keep doing it then. That is exceptional progress. (Although I’m sure some guy is going to one-up this now that I’ve said this…“That’s nothing, this one time, I gaid 55lbs in two weeks. Squats and milk!”)

You’ve had to increase your serving sizes as you’ve gone along, right?

The only suggestion I can make here is to consider getting some more fats in your diet, doesn’t appear to be much there. Although I don’t know what you’re putting in your shakes.

[quote]bino wrote:
You’ve gained 55lbs of fat free mass in one year on this diet? The best advice you can get is to keep doing it then. That is exceptional progress. (Although I’m sure some guy is going to one-up this now that I’ve said this…“That’s nothing, this one time, I gaid 55lbs in two weeks. Squats and milk!”)

You’ve had to increase your serving sizes as you’ve gone along, right?

The only suggestion I can make here is to consider getting some more fats in your diet, doesn’t appear to be much there. Although I don’t know what you’re putting in your shakes.[/quote]

Actually serving size has been the same all the time. I figure, if I wanted to be 185lbs, just eat like I’m 185lbs. This worked great until I wanted to be 200lbs, now I can’t eat enough in one sitting because I start to feel iffy. When I actually upped my diet for a short amount of time, I tended to work out until I spewed some hustle juice (a.k.a. "vomit). I have since fixed this problem by not eating 45 minutes before I lift.

Fats are probably a good idea, because I really don’t get a lot. I’m ordering some Flameout tonight and that should help. Also for the shake thing, I go through about 2 gal’s of vitamin D milk per week and that’s all I put in my shakes. Two are water because I’m at work, but the rest are milk.

I’ll look into Chef Lisa, Phil’s post sparked my memory of her. I just hope she has some fast and easy stuff because I don’t really like spending much time cooking when I could be reading eating or sleeping haha. Spices are a good idea too, just at the moment I’m spice retarded. I have garlic, sea salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. I pretty much use those on everything because I don’t know any better.

You have a blessed metabolism. Wanna trade? I would weigh over 300 lbs in three months eating like that, and it wouldn’t be good weight. I’m not saying you are making bad food choices, they are actually quite good, just a lot of food. I can see why you have trouble gaining.

You might want to consider trying to make actual meals, like PN meals, or other things. Looks like you are just throwing together piles of food without much thought, and repeatedly. Eating the same thing over and over again can’t be any fun. Discover some new foods, try other ethnicities for example. Mix things up. I rarely eat the same things as time goes by other than the main staples.

you could replace the foods with other food that have similar nutrient values.

oatmeal= grits
rice= whole wheat/multi-grain pasta
mixed veggies=steamed veggies
chicken=turkey

if you crave something salty like junk food just eat some turkey bacon. tastes good and is healthy.

im on the carb cycling diet and am really loving it because i am not eating the same thing for more then 2 days.

Try some red meat it has creatine and might give you a boost in T. If your body responds poorly to it cut it back out with your met. I’m sure you’ll recover. Besides you can find beef that is really lean.

[quote]Zero_Z wrote:
I’ll look into Chef Lisa, Phil’s post sparked my memory of her. I just hope she has some fast and easy stuff because I don’t really like spending much time cooking when I could be reading eating or sleeping haha. Spices are a good idea too, just at the moment I’m spice retarded. I have garlic, sea salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. I pretty much use those on everything because I don’t know any better. [/quote]

Hey I heard someone say my name over here:

A few suggestions for you,

One question first. Are you sick of the foods you are eating or the structure of your plan?

If it’s the foods then I CAN help you with that.

Some simple suggestions: just as others have said. Take the things you are eating and replace them with similar items.

Grains to try:
Quinoa
Amaranth
Rye berries
Wheat berries
Different rices like:
Black Rice
Forbidden Rice
Brown Basmatti
All totally easy to cook and can be made in large batches and frozen.
Flavor with spices, herbs and citrus zests for something different.

Maybe take your oats and toast them with some sweetener and then mix them with some dried fruits to make some granola and then just add milk instant cereal.
You can make large batches and eat it dried also, great snack.

Proteins:
Try some different things like,
Fish (there are hundreds of them)
Seafoods (lots of these too)
Pork tenderloin (low fat quick cooking nice flavor)
Duck breast (take off the skin for less fat, leave it on for more)
Turkey breast (roast whole, yumm)
Beef (some different cuts, Top blade-flatiron, teres major-shoulder tender, flank, skirt, tri-tip, eye of round)

Veggies:
try some different flavors like:
Radicchio, endive, chiccory etc. bitters mixed in with other lettuces or grilled and mixed in with other grilled veggies

Try some other cooking methods:
Braising, grilling, sear, roast, poach

Spices:
Get a great spice book and try mixing some spices together or just try some mixed pre made spices you find at a good spice store like:
http://www.atlanticspice.com/

Flavored oils:
Super easy to make and lots of flavors to try.
Mix spices with oil and warm, and let sit for a while then drizzle over your cooked veggies or meats. Yummmm…

Citrus zest and juices:
Add tons of flavor without any added anything…get a good microplane grater like this:
http://us.microplane.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6

PM me or write on my Recipes With Photos thread in the Muscle Sorority, if you would like me to help you with anything. I’m here to help as much as I can.

There are also tons of other guys (and ladies) here that have tons of great cooking and nutrition ideas too. Pick the brains of the people that have been around a while. They are all mostly more than willing to help.
Good luck breathing new life into your eating plan.
Variety is the spice of life…

Wow thanks a bunch, that’s perfect!