Getting Tight Gear On

I finally got my metal pro stuff in the mail today. I am around 200-210 and i have a 42 in pelvis. I can get the briefs on my myself with some work. Ill pull it up, then do hip flexors stretches and wiggle into it. This is in a 44 brief which is a size up from what i should have bought. I havent figured out how to get into my squatter. how do you guys do it? its a 50 squatter if that helps. i dont have slippers.

Work the leg opening up an inch, then pull the slack up. Repeat. It might take some time. On the suit you can wrap the straps around a barbell in a squat rack and hang- allowing your body weight to pull you in.

I wiggle it up high enough that I’m not exposing myself, then use the ends of a Smith machine, bodyweight squats, lunges, and bending over to work it into position. I’ll alternate putting straps up (when I get it high enough) and lunging and whatnot.

This information is all very usefull to me right now. I also now feel bad for what I put my training partner through on Saturday:)

You have to get suit slippers. I don’t care how your suit fits, with poly it’s the only way to go. The metal ones are very well made, fwiw.

In the meantime, try using plastic shopping bags (one per leg) with the handles down (aimed towards your feet).

Pull the hips up as high as you can get them, then push the legs up over the bags as far as you can without bunching them up too badly, then pull the hips up a little more and repeat until you can’t get them any higher. You may have to grab the handles of the bag to pull them below the cuff. the key is to keep the bag below the cuff all the way around as you are working up the legs.

Then, stretch side to side using your body to pull the legs up. when you are able, put a strap up on the side you are pulling up. This will help. Eventually work to where you can get both straps up and then just work it.

If the hips are really tight you are better off getting them up as far as you can, without wrinkles, before you try to seat the legs.

To seat it that last half-inch a lot of time you just have to take a squat. Just make sure your spotter stays close because the suit can be squirrely when not seated all the way.

Baby powder helps too, but I wouldn’t suggest using it very often, maybe only the first few times getting it on and that’s it or else you will damage the material

Under armor boxer briefs are a god-send. You won’t be able to wear them under your suit for meets, depending on which federation you compete in, but for getting them on for training they’re perfect.

I have a shitton of compression shorts from my wrestling days and thats what i had on when trying to slip on my briefs. I was able to finally get them all the way up and seated well in my crotch after i cuffed the bottom seam. I was watching a few videos on youtube and a ton of people seem to struggle even more than i did so im less nervous about actually fitting into my gear now.

I was told not to buy extra tight gear so i went a size up in everything and its still tight haha. maybe i’m just getting fatter. who knows. I’m deloading this week and getting into the briefs next sunday so i am looking forward to seeing how it all works out. thanks for all the info guys.

[quote]crashcrew56 wrote:
Baby powder helps too, but I wouldn’t suggest using it very often, maybe only the first few times getting it on and that’s it or else you will damage the material[/quote]

Well, the other problem with babypowder is you want the gear to grab and stay put for optimal performance.

That’s why I never recommend using baby powder because unlike a bag or slipper, it can’t be removed once it’s applied.

[quote]bjjwannabe152 wrote:

I was told not to buy extra tight gear so i went a size up in everything and its still tight haha. maybe i’m just getting fatter. who knows. I’m deloading this week and getting into the briefs next sunday so i am looking forward to seeing how it all works out. thanks for all the info guys.[/quote]

Well, at least you got good advice on fitting the gear. You can always alter it to make it tighter.

FWIW, I have more problems using slippers than just going bare-skinned. Maybe cuz I’m not a hairy dude, but slippers just don’t help me (although I do use bags for my shirt). Also, I never use lotion before putting on gear, it makes my skin grabbier.

You gear will feel tight now, but then you’ll get the correct size after you use this stuff for a bit, and it will suddenly seem like the old stuff was super loose. I’m wearing a suit now that I thought I could never wear when I first tried to get into it at 10 lbs lighter, lol, and I can put it on alone.

I just emailed Jo Jordan over at elite and he said i should go up a size or two on the squatter but keep the same briefs. So as soon as i get back to school I’m going to send back my 50 for a 54 most likely. I dont want gangster tight gear. The briefs will be solid and a semi-tight fit over that should be great. This is actually great timing with my training cycle. Thanks for all the help guys.

I wouldn’t suggest wearing underarmor compression shorts or boxer briefs under your gear on a regular basis, maybe only when you are breaking it in. The compression shorts and boxer briefs don’t allow the briefs or suit to bite properly on your legs.

I finally got my metal pro stuff in the mail today. I am around 200-210 and i have a 42 in pelvis. I can get the briefs on my myself with some work. Ill pull it up, then do hip flexors stretches and wiggle into it. This is in a 44 brief which is a size up from what i should have bought. I havent figured out how to get into my squatter. how do you guys do it? its a 50 squatter if that helps. i dont have slippers.[/quote]

BJJ, I have an ACE Squatter sized 50 also. I weigh in at 235 and have 44" pelvis (I’m 6’). My suit is very tight and what I do to get it on is to use the straps to “pry” myself into it while side stepping. Just throw it over one shoulder and shrug while pushing the leg down. When you get it mostly on hang the straps over a bar set high in a rack and hang from it while swinging your legs around. I have used suit slipper and found it only work marginally better for me plus they are hard a fuck to get out of the suit once you get it on. I wouldn’t send the suit back if I were you. hope this helps

Dawg,
are you saying i should stay with the 50? i may be mistaken but i believe that the ACE gear and the PRO gear are sized differently. The fact is that i couldnt even get the suit on by itself, much less over the briefs. id rather have a slightly looser fit than gangster tight.

Dawg,
are you saying i should stay with the 50? i may be mistaken but i believe that the ACE gear and the PRO gear are sized differently. The fact is that i couldnt even get the suit on by itself, much less over the briefs. id rather have a slightly looser fit than gangster tight.[/quote]

OM I’M A DUMB ASS. I DIDN’T GET ALL THAT AT FIRST. Sorry dude. I’m not sure of the sizing differences,but yeah I’d say if you can’t get it on by itself then I see how getting it over the briefs would be a real deal breaker. Have you called the guys at EFS yet? Jim helped me get my suit as I was in between sizes. Sorry I didn’t help much…

nah dont even worry about it. im gonna go up two sizes and stick with tight briefs and a looser suit. its my first experience with2 ply gear anyway. no reason to make it tight. i can always alter it…or even better, gain weight

nah dont even worry about it. im gonna go up two sizes and stick with tight briefs and a looser suit. its my first experience with2 ply gear anyway. no reason to make it tight. i can always alter it…or even better, gain weight[/quote]

I like the way you think!

[quote]crashcrew56 wrote:
I wouldn’t suggest wearing underarmor compression shorts or boxer briefs under your gear on a regular basis, maybe only when you are breaking it in. The compression shorts and boxer briefs don’t allow the briefs or suit to bite properly on your legs.[/quote]

This.

I’m amazed how many people seem to think it’s a good idea!

[quote]Hanley wrote:
crashcrew56 wrote:
I wouldn’t suggest wearing underarmor compression shorts or boxer briefs under your gear on a regular basis, maybe only when you are breaking it in. The compression shorts and boxer briefs don’t allow the briefs or suit to bite properly on your legs.

This.

I’m amazed how many people seem to think it’s a good idea![/quote]

I realized the suck when I was getting nothing out of my power pants. I took off te comp shorts and got about 40 pounds of carryover.