Getting the Most of Creatine

I always drop weight on Creatine, but usually feel I recover quicker/better in between sets. Like, if I hit a weight for 15 reps, I may be able to hit again for 14 2 mins later, as opposed to without Creatine I may only get 12-13 reps 2 min later.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
I always drop weight on Creatine, but usually feel I recover quicker/better in between sets. Like, if I hit a weight for 15 reps, I may be able to hit again for 14 2 mins later, as opposed to without Creatine I may only get 12-13 reps 2 min later.[/quote]

Yes…now add that up over the course of ten years.

Creatine is just one of the three nutrients your skeletal muscle utilize. It won’t “boost” anything.
It helps along the same premises that carbohydrates help.
It just maximizes your nutrient stores more efficiently than eating a bunch of steaks but accomplishes the same thing.

The higher intensity your exercise is the more important creatine becomes as a nutrient.

5g a day is enough for anyone to maintain high levels in SM cells.

If you are doing a lot of planned overreaching in your training, then you may need more eventually.

You can also use a “loading” phase if you ant to in the first 30 days but it’s totally unnecessary because anyone who is serious about their long term goals would consider the difference between 30 days of “laoding” and a few months insignificant. You’ll also avoid bloat by not trying to do a “loading” phase.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:
Creatine is just one of the three nutrients your skeletal muscle utilize. It won’t “boost” anything.
It just maximizes your nutrient stores more efficiently than eating a bunch of steaks but accomplishes the same thing.
[/quote]

I dont think creatine is a nutrient, and doesnt help like carbohydrates. Carbohydrates provide energy, but creatine is more like a storage device.

When your muscles contract myosin in your muscle cells uses ATP (3 phospates)that turns to ADP (2 phosphates). Phosphocreatine can anaerobically donate a phosphate group to ADP to form ATP during the first 2 to 7 seconds following an intense muscular or neuronal effort, before the body’s main fueling will come from breaking down glycogen storages. Conversely, excess ATP can be used during a period of low effort to convert creatine to phosphocreatine.

So what happends when you take creatine, is that you fill your muscles with even more creatine, and have more “quick anaerobic energy” available, since you can bypass needing energy from glycolysis etc the first few seconds.

[quote]NikH wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:
[/quote]

I dont think creatine is a nutrient, and doesnt help like carbohydrates. Carbohydrates provide energy, but creatine is more like a storage device.

When your muscles contract myosin in your muscle cells uses ATP (3 phospates)that turns to ADP (2 phosphates). Phosphocreatine can anaerobically donate a phosphate group to ADP to form ATP during the first 2 to 7 seconds following an intense muscular or neuronal effort, before the body’s main fueling will come from breaking down glycogen storages. Conversely, excess ATP can be used during a period of low effort to convert creatine to phosphocreatine.

So what happends when you take creatine, is that you fill your muscles with even more creatine, and have more “quick anaerobic energy” available, since you can bypass needing energy from glycolysis etc the first few seconds.[/quote]

Thank you for tedlling me what I already know about how creatine is used in SM.
Creatine is a nutrient. It’s primary source in food are fish and red meat.
It contributes to increased stores of ATP-phoshate in SM.

Carbohydrates are a nutrient. Their primary sources is in the form of starches.
Carbohydrates(glucose) contribute to glycogen stores in SM.

Carbohydrates themselves don’t provide energy either, they are stored as glycogen first.

You don’t need creatine to survive in the same way that you don’t need carbohydrates to survive, but both are nutrients.

And I know you’re going to disagree with your wiki knowledge but that’s ok, you’ll still be wrong.

At the end of the day you can:

eat 5 steaks or use a creatine supplement.

Similarly you can:

Eat a sweet potato or use a high carb MRP.

Angry much? Saying it helps the same way carbohydrates help was obviously wrong. Like I said carbohydrates are broken down for energy, while creatine is used to store energy, and for that reason I dont see it as a nutrient, as it doesnt provide nourishment/energy.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:
Carbohydrates themselves don’t provide energy either, they are stored as glycogen first.
[/quote]

Carbohydrates, in this case you mentioned glucose is what the body loves for energy. Glycolysis, krebs cylce etc. Anaerobic glycolysis already provides new ATP but alot less than aerobic. It’s the major energy source for the body. And it’s not necessarily stored as glycogen first.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:
[Creatine] contributes to increased stores of ATP-phoshate in SM.
[/quote]

It’s Adenosine TriPhosphate. Not Adenosine TriPhosphate-Phoshate. And no it doesnt contribute to ATP stores, it contributes to creatine phosphate stores.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:
And I know you’re going to disagree with your wiki knowledge but that’s ok, you’ll still be wrong.
[/quote]

Here’s some wiki reading for you: