T Nation

Getting the Most of Creatine

my container ( prosource brand ) says 1 tsp before workout and 1 after. The loading phase is 7 tsp a day for people over 220 lbs ( me, 235 ) should I do 3 or 4 tsp a day to get max results because I’ve seen very little in the first month and a half on this

Maybe you’re creatine levels were already saturated so additional creatine will do nothing for you. Maybe creatine only accounts for %1 of your gains over the last 6 weeks.

i dont think the amount is as important as the delivery source. Just make sure you are taking it with sugar or a big carb meal.

I usually just mix it with whey and waxy then sup peri workout.

The loading phase is unnecessary.
What are you expecting?

If you’e expecting creatine to act like a steroid, you are mistaken. You might be able to grind out that extra rep, or able to put 5 lbs more on the bar when supplementing creatine. These little things add up over time.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
The loading phase is unnecessary.
What are you expecting? [/quote]
Yep and yep.

[quote]Mike_Madden wrote:
I’ve seen very little in the first month and a half on this[/quote]
What were you expecting to “see”, especially with whatever other stuff you’re taking?

And did you end up doing a loading phase back in December when you had your last thread about creatine?

As was said (then and now), loading isn’t needed but if you did a loading phase before and you’ve been using it fairly consistently since then, you’ll be fine with 5 grams pre-training. If it’s only creatine in the product, their label recommendation of two servings aren’t necessary.

I wasn’t expecting steroid like gains, my bench went up a few pounds and I can tell I’m getting that one extra rep. So 10g a day will do fine? And yeah I mix it with 8 oz of cranberry juice after a meal.

5g/day is good. 10g likely result in a little more water retention with no benefit strength-wise. As Dr. Pangloss said, your muscles are probably already saturated, so more won’t do much.

Every time some one says they can’t feel creatine working or see results from it my ability to discuss the issue civilly dies a little.

[quote]JLone wrote:
Every time some one says they can’t feel creatine working or see results from it my ability to discuss the issue civilly dies a little. [/quote]

I’ve noticed nothing and I’m like 45-60 days into it. I’m assuming I’m a non responder or that my natrual levels of saturation are optimized or near optimized…or I simply just don’t break it down as well…i dunno.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:
Every time some one says they can’t feel creatine working or see results from it my ability to discuss the issue civilly dies a little. [/quote]

I’ve noticed nothing and I’m like 45-60 days into it. I’m assuming I’m a non responder or that my natrual levels of saturation are optimized or near optimized…or I simply just don’t break it down as well…i dunno.[/quote]

The thing most people notice is the water weight which is really the ole CellTech ‘Dude i gained 10 lbs in 4 weeks’ claims that make most have unrealistic expectations.

I also think lots take it on low carb diets or without a delivery source which makes it less effective in my humble opinion.

I’ve noticed nothing and I’m like 45-60 days into it. I’m assuming I’m a non responder or that my natrual levels of saturation are optimized or near optimized…or I simply just don’t break it down as well…i dunno.[/quote]

45d and you dont notice it?
Personally, as an example, I gain like 4lbs weight fairly quickly, and my dumbbell bench press
goes up 10 lbs.

Did you perhaps take supplements that included creatine before?
Also, I’ve heard some dont respond to monohydrate well.

How do you usually take it?

[quote]JLone wrote:
The percentage of people who are non-responders is relatively small compared to all of the people of the internet that think they are snowflakes. If you have giving it a shot for 60 days and see no benefit then you may truly be a non-responder. If that is the case I feel sorry for you as I consider creatine a blessing and I take 5g every day.

As for my original post, I was more talking about all the noobs that make threads talking about how they can’t feel creatine working. It’s not a stimulant yet people act as though they should have all this energy. It’s not a steroid yet people act like they will get “bulky” with all the massive muscles that grow overnight.

It is 5 f*cking grams of creatine! Even if your body absorbed all 5 grams every day(which it doesn’t) and each gram held 10 additional grams of water in your system. That would still only be 55 grams of water retention per day or 1 pound every 8-9 days. You’re not going to get drug-like effects from 55 grams of water and more readily available ATP.

I didn’t feel the effects of creatine until I started IVing it every day.

[quote]NikH wrote:

45d and you dont notice it?
Personally, as an example, I gain like 4lbs weight fairly quickly, and my dumbbell bench press
goes up 10 lbs.

Also, I’ve heard some dont respond to monohydrate well.

How do you usually take it?[/quote]

Yeah, no weight gain.
I loaded for a few days but just 5g first thing in the morning then 15 min later i have a very high carb preworkout meal. Uhhh, the reason for this is i cant have any food in my stomach when i take creatine because my stomach/shit will be fucked up for hours

[quote]NikH wrote:

45d and you don’t notice it?
goes up 10 lbs.

Also, I’ve heard some don’t respond to monohydrate well.

How do you usually take it?[/quote]

That is exactly my experience with creatine. I gain exactly 4 lbs and my press goes up by 10 lbs. I only get stomach reactions for the first week coming back on. After that, the discomfort is non-existent. I have also found that loading wasn’t necessary like many here are posting. I just hate this 2 week off cycle I have to go through, but it should make my on cycle more potent with my other stacks.

I also took creatine from some mfgs that suggested 10 or more grams a day, which just added water weight and no greater results than my present daily 5g servings.

Personally I feel the difference mainly when I stop it. I feel weaker and it takes longer to be able to perform a new set after a difficult one.

Yeah, no weight gain.
I loaded for a few days but just 5g first thing in the morning then 15 min later i have a very high carb preworkout meal. Uhhh, the reason for this is i cant have any food in my stomach when i take creatine because my stomach/shit will be fucked up for hours[/quote]

There’s a few things you can try out:

1. Take your creatine after workout with your recovery shake for a week and see if something happends.

2. Stop taking creatine for two weeks and see if you become weaker and lose some weight

3. Try another creatine, like instead of creatine monohydrate you could try malate or other.

[quote]Biskui wrote:
Personally I feel the difference mainly when I stop it. I feel weaker and it takes longer to be able to perform a new set after a difficult one.
[/quote]

Good Point

There is a great two part article on what creatine is/does by that Kiefer guy on his site.