T Nation

Getting Tested Today

Hey guys.. I've been lurking on the forums for a bit and decided to jump in. I'm getting my blood work today to pursue TRT if needed. I'll post my stats below and a follow up after I get my results. I'm posting ahead of the appointment in case there are any questions I need to ask the doc or any issues I need to look out for. Thanks

-height : 6'5"
-waist
-weight : 265
-describe body and facial hair : moderately hairy chest and back, full beard
-describe where you carry fat and how changed : carry my fat on my belly, more pronounced after 30
-health conditions, symptoms [history] : gall bladder, history of colon polops, ACL, MCl, Rotator, miniscus, and AC damage/surgeries.
-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever : Mobic/Naproxen,
-lab results with ranges : I'll post lab results today.
-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets] : breakfast (egg whites/oatmeal/fruit), morning snack (either tuna or a shake), lunch (chicken breast/turkey burger pattie/ or fish with veggies and rice or quinoa, afternoon shake or tuna, dinner with family
-describe training [some ruin there hormones by over training] : Tuesday - Cardio and arms, Thursday - cardio and chest/shoulders, Saturday - cardio and back
-testes ache, ever, with a fever? : no
-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed : no

My story is wacky. Up until 7 years ago I was training hard at Metroflex in Arlington. I was also playing minor league football in the area. I was up to a healthy 315lbs and starting to compete in amateur strongman comps. The day before St Patrick's Day 2006 I was rear ended by a Dodge Magnum. I got out to confront the guy, he got back in his car and ran me down.

The force of the impact threw me up on his hood, then when he jumped the curb to get around traffic I flew over the car and landed on the street on my shoulder. At the end of the day, they never caught the guy (he had stolen plates of a Grand Am) and I ended up with a torn ACL/MCL, a torn Rotator and a damaged AC. Needless to say, that affected my lifting and fitness plans. I didn't handle it very well and let depression and anxiety keep me out of the gym until this year.

A good friend of mine has been mentoring me and encouraging me to get back on a track to lifting again. I've been working with my Ortho (great doc and amazing with my rehab) on crafting a workout plan to get me back into lifting safely. We scoped my knee recently (I'm out 65% of the cartilage in my right knee) and I'm able to get around without constant knee pain. All this said, I'm 37 years old and my energy levels are lower than they've ever been.

Getting back in the gym has been helping, but I'm willing to explore any option out there and TRT seems to be a path a lot of guys my age are checking out. I'm also willing to look into other options I'm researching on the forums and elsewhere. I've been around guys who self inject and know what they're doing, but I've never gone that route myself.

I have no objections at all. I also have great insurance that covers a lot of these treatments. At this point in my life I want to be able to get my body back and get past the road blocks I've allowed to keep me from the lifestyle I miss.

To wrap it up. I'll post my lab results in full when I get them today. If there are any questions I should bring up at my appointment or anything I should be looking out for, please feel free to share.

OK.. The doc at the Low T Clinic I went to told me my Testosterone level was 289. I'm going back today and hopefully get the full results of my blood work back. I went ahead and got my first test shot at the clinic last week. Going to get a 2nd today (and hopefully get results). Would my level being that low warrant following up with a PCP for the long term?

Going to that clinic is going to be expensive (like others have noted on the forums). I'd like to find someone here in DFW that knows what's up.

I started TRT self injections 2 months ago because of low T - I am 45 - I can give you a few words of advice : unless you have bad symptoms of low T I would advise not to start it - if you do be prepared for some of the T to turn into estrogen unless you take an AI - when that happened I got ED and I am working to get rid of that ( never had it before )

OK... I've got my results from the initial blood work:

I could definitely use help decoding the results and where to proceed from here.

Diagnostic Test Results
Glucose, Serum 85
BUN 20
Creatinine,Serum 1.02
eGFR 93
eGFR 108
BUN/Creatine Ratio 20
Sodium, Serum 141
Potassium, Serum 4.9
Chloride, Serum 100
Carbon Dioxide, Total 25
Calcium, Serum 10.1
Protein, Total, Serum 7.3
Albumin, Serum 4.9
Globulin, Total 2.4
A/G Ratio 2.0
Bilirubin, Total 0.3
Alkaline Phosphatase, S 69
TSH 1.970
LH 6.1
FSH 6.1
Prolactin 7.1
WBC 7.6
RBC 5.14
Hemoglobin 16.6
Hematocrit 48.6
MCV 95
MCH 32.3
MCHC 34.2
RDW 12.6
Platelets 322
Neutrophils 54
Lymphs 33
Monocytes 10
Eos 3
Basos 0
Neutrophils (Abosolute) 4.1
Lymphs (Absolute) 2.5
Monocytes (Absolute) 0.8
Eos (Absolute) 0.2
Baso (Absolute) 0.0
Estradiol 17.8

Total Testosterone 289
PSA 0.77

Ya your T is low.

The problem is not secondary but what Is the problem?

Have the doctor checked the testicles?

Your labs are basic and you don't have lab ranges or units listed.

Have you read the lab testing sticky or advice for new guys?

Yes.. These are the results that the doc at the Low T center gave me. Considering moving over to a PCP now. Just doing my research and getting info from the forums as I go along. It's a lot to digest!

You go to a low T centre and they will tell you that you need T..

It's a business man.

They didn't check anything diagnostic if you ask me.

Not even cholesterol levels???

They have no intention on finding why you have low t ony to give you drugs.

OK.. I've been getting t shots from the clinic while I researched for a PCP here in the Dallas area that is going to be able to treat my condition and help me meet my goals. After several weeks of shots (weekly doses from 200mg to 120mg) my T level is up to just 425. My "free t" is 9.8

I have an appointment to go see Doctor E. at Kaner here in DFW. He was recommended by someone else on one of the other posts. I'm hoping he'll take a more focused approach and help me not only get my levels up, but figure out why they are low. Anyway.. Thanks for the replies and this site is a wealth of knowledge. I'm learning a lot from your posts and links that are suggested.