Getting Stronger

I have been in the fitness industry for 10 years, and started light lifting last year. Now I signed up for a strength training class at school and would like to be a little stronger when it begins. I also recently lost 10 pounds from holiday stress and really need to regain strength.

my lifts for reps include:
bench 65 x 10
shoulder press 40 x 10
squat 90 x 10
bicep curl 15 x 10
tricep extension 20 x 10

ready to start the year off strong!

I bet you’ll find that you are much stronger than you thought… once you start pushing yourself. Have fun!

I agree with sic – most women underestimate the amount that they can lift ;).

Malinda

Hey thanks girls for the encouragement!

Do you have someone you lift with? My husband helped me realize that I was a lot stronger than I thought I was. I have to admit that until he spotted me, I had no idea how much I could lift. It gave me the confidence to lift heavier when by myself.

Good luck!

Jana

taught a great yoga class last night, a very good crowd. We really worked hard and I actually feel sore. I may hit the gym today depending on my crazy schedule. My weight is still down despite my efforts to eat a little more. Gotta get strong!

What does your diet and training look like right now? I know you said you are starting a strength training class at school, how will you work that into your existing schedule? Will you drop some cardio or yoga sessions or will you just add it in?

good luck with your goals, you will learn lots here :slight_smile:

Good workout today!
squat
65 x 10
85 x 10
85 x 10
105 x 6!

bench
65 x 10
65 x 7
65 x 7
70 x 5!

bent over row single arm
25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10
30 x 9!

shoulder press
40 x 10
40 x 10
40 x 8
40 x 7
wow I feel great about it. Still weigh 135.

When I start the weight training class at school I will drop my own weight training sessions. I may lose some strength but it’s all I have time for. Gotta keep teaching yoga for one more 5 week session, made the commitment.
Thank you sic and straten for the encouragement!

ladies, I saw a great instructor at my gym do DL’s without completely straightening up. I tried it and it felt good- anyone else try it?

Not sure what you mean by not completely straightening up. Can you explain more? What is the starting body position and what is the ending position?

[quote]aeromom wrote:
ladies, I saw a great instructor at my gym do DL’s without completely straightening up. I tried it and it felt good- anyone else try it?[/quote]

I’m not sure what you mean, either. Does she get to the lockout? Some people have an exaggerated lockout position, meaning they bend backward a bit, but if you don’t even get to a full vertical, then it isn’t a deadlift, IMO.

Do you mean something like bent-over rows?

Hi ladies, and thanks…

it wasn’t a row. started out bent over with bent knees and lifted with the legs till the bar is about mid thigh, then lowered. Seemed to target the hams. My DL today went all the way up, is that “locking out”? My hips went forward a little. I don’t lift very heavy but I pulled 100 for 6, I was happy.
today
DL
65 x 10
85 x 10
95 x 10
100 x 6

bench
65 x 10
65 x 10
70 x 7
70 x 6

bent over one arm row
25 x 10
25 x 10
30 x 9
30 x 9

military press
40 x 10
40 x 10
40 x 8
40 x 8
any advice? Thanks again!

This is a Romanian Deadlift, it hits the hammies.

This is the opposite of what you are describing because he is working the top part of the lift, not the bottom like you describe.

Watch how his hips come forward at the very top. That’s the lockout. If he were competing it would not be considered a good lift until his back is straight and hips slightly forward.

Hi Sic… and thanks.
From the video it seems that is the way I pulled it today, Romanian. I didn’t take the bar all the way down, and coming up,my hips came forward in a lockout.

Now I just have to improve my grip strength!
No, you all are right, what I was describing earlier is not a deadlift at all.
Thanks to all for your advice!

Fun workout today.

squat
85 x 10
95 x 10
105 x 10
110 x 7

bent over barbell row
65 x 10
65 x 10
65 x 7
70 x 6
concerned about by form, couldn’t tell if my back stayed straight.

bicep curl
30 x 10
30 x 8
30 x 7
30 x 7

triceps extension
15 x 10, 4 sets, shouldn’t have lifted so light.

AeroMom,

If you live near the Wilkes-Barre Scranton area and are interested of getting personal training you need to contact a guy named Doug who trains people at Odyssey fitness…Great reviews from everyone who goes to him…he is cheap cheap cheap, like 65 dollars a week for 4 sessions a week…

I guess he is very knowledgeable and his cheap prices are used to build his clientele…A kid Pat I know trains with him and says he never would of thought he could become so strong so fast… PM me for more of his information if interested…

good progress ladies?

DL
95 x 10
100 x 10
105 x 8
110 x 7

bench
70 x 10
75 x 5
75 x 3
75 x 3
bent over one arm row
30 x 10
30 x 10
30 x 10
35 x 9
decline abs w
10 lb plate on chest x 10
25 lb plate on chest x 10 3 sets

goals include a body weight DL (140), a 100 lb bench and one unassisted pull up. Not exactly up to what you ladies are doing, but I’m darn proud of myself! It may be time for a partner, at least to help me rack and unrack. That’s getting challenging.
Thanks for any advice!!!

You get stronger through recovery. Lifting every day is detrimental to your goals.

Less is more, in this case.

good time today, a brisk 3 1/2 mile walk. Looking forward to a 115 lb DL tomorrow.