Getting Stronger While Maintaining Weight

I know it is possible to have little muscle and get very strong.

I understood that to achieve this you need neural adaptation, therefore low reps, high weight.

I never do more than 5 reps, usually 5’s 3’s or singles. Yet my experience is i never get stronger if i don’t eat an excess of calories.

Is it possible for me to get stronger, while maintaining weight and only doing 2 lifting sessions a week.

(Need to maintain weight for competition and cant really get in more than 2 sessions because it hinders my other training too much, I could perhaps spread the training out over daily lighter sessions if frequency is the missing link here)

“I know it is possible to have little muscle and get very strong.”

I didn’t know this was possible.

[quote]Wolfpacker27 wrote:

I didn’t know this was possible.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply…

[quote]Wolfpacker27 wrote:

I didn’t know this was possible.[/quote]

Increasing strength/power without gaining excess LBM is the dream of most combat athletes.

Hence, it takes a lot more discipline than simply gorging on food to make up for lackluster training protocols.

It also brings into the conversation, pound for pound strength.

OP, if you find that you can’t get stronger without eating excess calories, it means your workouts aren’t conducive to strength gain.

Plus, minimizing that to just two workouts in 7 days… that’s another huge challenge.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
OP, if you find that you can’t get stronger without eating excess calories, it means your workouts aren’t conducive to strength gain.

Plus, minimizing that to just two workouts in 7 days… that’s another huge challenge.

[/quote]

Are you saying i should do even lower reps/heavier weights than 5’s?
Like only singles and tripples?

What are your lifts, BW, age, height?

Most importantly, what is your programming like? As others mentioned, it is a challenge to increase strength under these conditions, so your programming needs to be spot-on. A 2-day Texas Method setup might work (e.g. volume Monday, intensity Thursday), but recovery might be difficult depending on your sport.

Or something like this which I just stole from another forum:

Day 1 - Squat/Press
Day 2 - Bench/Deadlift

Week 1: 5s
Week 2: 3s
Week 3: 2s
Week 4: 5s
Week 5: 3s
Week 6: 1s

Work up to one top set, and one back-off set (keep volume relatively low).

[quote]Respeezy wrote:
Is it possible for me to get stronger, while maintaining weight and only doing 2 lifting sessions a week.
[/quote]

If you’re a beginner/otherwise not lifting very heavy weight or fat and don’t carry a lot of lean mass relative to total body weight, then yes.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]Respeezy wrote:
[/quote]

If you’re a beginner/otherwise not lifting very heavy weight or fat and don’t carry a lot of lean mass relative to total body weight, then yes.[/quote]

I see what you did there.

2 day a week 5/3/1 template, for assistance only do pullups, abs and rear delt/shoulder prehab work: