Getting Stronger, Not Much Bigger Anymore...

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
10lbs of lean muscle isn’t that noticeable if you’ve been staring at yourself every day and you have a some bf over it. You would need a before and after picture. Considering how much muscle legs hold you could very well have added 6lbs of muscle to your legs and 4lbs to your upperbody, although as you have noted your upper body numbers have gone through the roof. Many things go into how the body appears, including cardio, glycogen depletion and other stuff. have you been doing cardio? You look more like an athlete in your initial pic.

1. An initial pic says nothing about what you are asking. Impressive build but I’m sayin

2. Get a pump

3. If I did use, I’m not sure I would take pictures and state that I was.
    [/quote]

1. Good point

2. Good point

3. Good point

In that initial pic, I was walking uphill a few times a week on the treadmill after lifting.

As far as rep ranges like everyone has been suggesting, I went higher volume last night on back…huge pump. The only real heavy, lower rep exercise I did was starting off the night with weighted pull ups. But everything else was 10 or more reps with shorter rest periods. Felt great.

[quote]Cron391 wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:
So 8 months ago you say you were 194 @ 14% and now you say you are 205 @ 12%. What exactly is your question?[/quote]

if these numbers are correct then this would be amazing progress.[/quote]

If this were true without using PED…he’d be man of the fucking year.

In 8 months = gained 11lb of LBM while SIMULTANEOUSLY loosing 2%bf

thats pretty dam unreal borderline impossible.
[/quote]

Just gonna point out here, for no real reason, that you aren’t really looking at this properly from a mathematical standpoint. It is actually possible to add fat mass, while decreasing your bodyfat percentage, if you add enough lean mass. That isn’t the case here, but it is certainly possible, so don’t discredit it.

The math indicates the following:
-11 pounds total gain
-2% (percentage points) bodyfat lost
-2.6 pounds of fat lost
-13.6 pounds of muscle gained

Carry on.

[quote]youngster543210 wrote:

By test do you mean Steroids? Or pro hormones?[/quote]

From your progress and hairline, I would have sworn you were on AAS…after reading this question, I would swear there’s no way you know anything about AAS lol

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

From your progress and hairline, I would have sworn you were on AAS…after reading this question, I would swear there’s no way you know anything about AAS lol[/quote]

lol you know how prohormones are, I’m sure there is something stupid out in the world now called TEST-abolic or TESTOBOL Xtreme

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

From your progress and hairline, I would have sworn you were on AAS…after reading this question, I would swear there’s no way you know anything about AAS lol[/quote]

lol you know how prohormones are, I’m sure there is something stupid out in the world now called TEST-abolic or TESTOBOL Xtreme [/quote]

Haha in your defense I’m sure there are plenty of shit products out there with the word test in them lol ;-). As far as the hairline goes…thankfully I’m not predisposed to MPB! I see so many guys my age or younger who have ran multiple cycles (and not made a whole hell of a lot of progress). And have wrecked their hair lol

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:
Hey guys,

5’8
12% bf

So in the past several months all of my lifts have gone up a substantial amount. I feel denser for sure, but not that much bigger. For instance, I have brought my flat bench from 365x4 to 405x4(5 if it’s a good day). Decline bench has gone from 315x6 to 315x10-14. All my other major lifts (squat, deads, etc.) have increased as well.

I know the first obvious response will be…EAT MORE DUMBASS! But I am, really. I mean, I have even been dirtying up my diet just to add cals. More peanut butter, more pasta, massive sub sandwiches, etc. Of course I still have my main foods: chicken, steak, sweet potatoes, brown rice, greens, eggs and egg whites, protein shakes, etc.

Is it just that my strength is ahead of my muscle size? I mean I have gained some weight, but I don’t feel like personally look to much bigger?

I have to admit that I have been hitting a lot of lower rep higher weight sets the past month or so, so maybe I just need to incorporate way more higher volume work? I do at least one high volume exercise for everybody part every week, maybe I need more?
[/quote]

First off, nice progress man you’re looking pretty solid

I had a similar problem a while back, I had been working on a basic progressive overload style of training which had worked well for me in putting size on for the first few years but after a while the size gains stopped. I started to focus more on time-under-tension, mind-muscle connection and working through a full range of motion on most exercises and this worked a treat and still is working for that matter.

I’m making an assumption here that when you flat bench 405x4 you’re not working through a full ROM and you’re form is a bit sloppy and you maybe feel you’re triceps doing more than their fair share of work? I only say this because when I got up near to that kind of weight this was the case for me, shoot me down if I’m wrong. Try 315 or 275 focusing solely on time under tension and improving your mmc with the target muscle group and I’m sure you will notice size gains if you’ve not already been training that way.

Nothing wrong with keeping some heavy weight-low rep stuff in there too

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:
Hey guys,

5’8
12% bf

I have to admit that I have been hitting a lot of lower rep higher weight sets the past month or so, so maybe I just need to incorporate way more higher volume work? I do at least one high volume exercise for everybody part every week, maybe I need more?
[/quote]

well, first of all you look GOOD!
said this, if i was in your shoes I just change reps number and rest time; for example, use 10/12 reps per set (not “toy weights”,about 70% of your 1rm or a weight that you can lift IN GOOD FORM for 10/12 reps before failure) and shorten rest to 1m(ish) between sets ,less for isolation excercises…you 'll note a very increased pump and very deep doms after first sessions…don’t be afraid to lighten the weights after first sets to stay in that reps range;I have used lows reps for years (because of my sport conditioning) but yes, you get stronger but not so bigger,now i’m (maybe) weaker but bigger than in the past and my joints are very happy :slight_smile: look at Mighty STU adivices and Meadows articles…all this IMO

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:
Hey guys,

5’8
12% bf

So in the past several months all of my lifts have gone up a substantial amount. I feel denser for sure, but not that much bigger. For instance, I have brought my flat bench from 365x4 to 405x4(5 if it’s a good day). Decline bench has gone from 315x6 to 315x10-14. All my other major lifts (squat, deads, etc.) have increased as well.

I know the first obvious response will be…EAT MORE DUMBASS! But I am, really. I mean, I have even been dirtying up my diet just to add cals. More peanut butter, more pasta, massive sub sandwiches, etc. Of course I still have my main foods: chicken, steak, sweet potatoes, brown rice, greens, eggs and egg whites, protein shakes, etc.

Is it just that my strength is ahead of my muscle size? I mean I have gained some weight, but I don’t feel like personally look to much bigger?

[/quote]

First off, nice progress man you’re looking pretty solid

I had a similar problem a while back, I had been working on a basic progressive overload style of training which had worked well for me in putting size on for the first few years but after a while the size gains stopped. I started to focus more on time-under-tension, mind-muscle connection and working through a full range of motion on most exercises and this worked a treat and still is working for that matter.

I’m making an assumption here that when you flat bench 405x4 you’re not working through a full ROM and you’re form is a bit sloppy and you maybe feel you’re triceps doing more than their fair share of work? I only say this because when I got up near to that kind of weight this was the case for me, shoot me down if I’m wrong. Try 315 or 275 focusing solely on time under tension and improving your mmc with the target muscle group and I’m sure you will notice size gains if you’ve not already been training that way.

Nothing wrong with keeping some heavy weight-low rep stuff in there too[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement and advice man.

I actually stick to straight form, and I ALWAYS go full ROM…I’m a stickler about it.

But yea I do think that I would benefit size size from hitting 275 x 12+ reps for some sets on chest. And of course similar rep ranges for other body parts. Actually did legs this morning and went heavy for 4 sets of 10 on squats, but then kept everything else at 15-20 reps (leg press, extensions, lunges, calves, etc). Felt great. Almost puked lol!

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:
Hey guys,

5’8
12% bf

[/quote]

well, first of all you look GOOD!
said this, if i was in your shoes I just change reps number and rest time; for example, use 10/12 reps per set (not “toy weights”,about 70% of your 1rm or a weight that you can lift IN GOOD FORM for 10/12 reps before failure) and shorten rest to 1m(ish) between sets ,less for isolation excercises…you 'll note a very increased pump and very deep doms after first sessions…don’t be afraid to lighten the weights after first sets to stay in that reps range;I have used lows reps for years (because of my sport conditioning) but yes, you get stronger but not so bigger,now i’m (maybe) weaker but bigger than in the past and my joints are very happy :slight_smile: look at Mighty STU adivices and Meadows articles…all this IMO[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment man!

And solid advice as well. Seems to be the general consensus…to go higher reps and shorter rest periods. I will just have to suck it up and take my ego out huh lol!!!

So I got my bf tested today by a buddy who owns a local supplement shop. 15% at 205. Cron was right saying that I underestimated my bf bc of how I carry it. Just wanted to clear that up. My mistake.

Check your PMs, Ironmanzvw.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Check your PMs, Ironmanzvw.[/quote]

Nothing there?

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

Nothing there?[/quote]

Made ya look.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

Nothing there?[/quote]

Made ya look.[/quote]

lol…

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

Nothing there?[/quote]

Dang, I suspect my PMs have been disabled for some time but I suppose this confirms it.

Well, I didn’t really want to mention this here because it’s not really pertinent to your thread, but I would be careful about putting yourself out on the internet (especially face) and disclosing any kind of illicit drug use/activity. I know a couple people that have had some borderline issues with it and one guy IRL who legitimately even had feds monitoring his computer just due to mentioning his PED use on the internet.

I know anything can be tracked to IP addresses and all that jazz - but just be careful man.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

Nothing there?[/quote]

Dang, I suspect my PMs have been disabled for some time but I suppose this confirms it.

Well, I didn’t really want to mention this here because it’s not really pertinent to your thread, but I would be careful about putting yourself out on the internet (especially face) and disclosing any kind of illicit drug use/activity. I know a couple people that have had some borderline issues with it and one guy IRL who legitimately even had feds monitoring his computer just due to mentioning his PED use on the internet.

I know anything can be tracked to IP addresses and all that jazz - but just be careful man.[/quote]

Thanks for the concern man. You’re absolutely right. I just honestly wasn’t even thinking about it.