Getting Strong as Possible

Guys, this is the last thing I wanted to do, but after using the search tool here and at elitefts… I still can’t find what I’m looking for and I’m definitely not trusting this to Google. I’m 19 and have been lifting off and on for about 3 years, seriously for about a year. I went from 6’2 160lbs at age 16 to about 200 now. Now, while most people say 40 pounds is a lot… 6’2 160 left me pretty goddamn skinny. So my size now is only “above average” if that.

The routine I’ve been doing now is a 5 day split from Mike Knowles over at Troponin nutrition. While that has made my physique much more impressive than it was, I still feel that after about 6 months, regardless of how my appearance is, I am still weak. At this point, I could care less about the fullness of my pecs or my bicep peak. I just want to get strong, period.

Now comes the part where I need some help. Could you guys point me in the direction of an article or even post one of your own splits. Most of the articles I found searching were other peoples training logs or just articles on powerlifting/strongman in general, not specifics. I also don’t have access to a prowler, ab rollout or some other kind of fancy ass shit that people like to plug in these threads. Barbell and dumbbell lifts would be preferable, however I do go to a local gym that has all the basic local gym stuff.

Thanks in advance.

inb4 USE SEARCH TOOL DUMBASS

Well I dont really understand how your situation is different to 100s of other lifters.

What are your current lifts?

[quote]db2000 wrote:
Well I dont really understand how your situation is different to 100s of other lifters.

What are your current lifts?[/quote]

My situation isn’t that special you’re right. But I’m trying to be specific. There are people who want to look good and thats all they care about, there are those who want to be able to knock out 100 pushups… and a dozen other things. My specific situation is that I am looking for a split that is based on liberal use of BB and DB lifts and directed at 1 thing and 1 thing only. Massive Strength… not Radical Hypertrophy or anything else.

By current lifts do you mean numbers or whats my split look like?

How much weight do you use for compound movements (bench press, squat, deadlift)

[quote]db2000 wrote:
How much weight do you use for compound movements (bench press, squat, deadlift)[/quote]

For 4x10 I was doing approx Bench: 225 Deadlift: 235-265 Squat: 250-275

In that case, something like Madcows 5x5 would do you well

Eat More, Rest More, Train Less
Maybe changing up to 3 days a week.
Incorporate 1 of the ‘big 3’ at the start of each workout. and get away from the BB mentality of more(volume) is better…(volume training does have a place, just not if you are trying to improve strength OVER size and not vice versa)
5x5 W/O are pretty good , so is the 5/3/1 system (both you can research on here and the 'net)
and find a good training partner if you don’t have one yet…
It’s very difficult to push yourself (possible failure) if you have no form of safety (spotter)
G/L

[quote]huffer wrote:
Eat More, Rest More, Train Less
Maybe changing up to 3 days a week.
Incorporate 1 of the ‘big 3’ at the start of each workout. and get away from the BB mentality of more(volume) is better…(volume training does have a place, just not if you are trying to improve strength OVER size and not vice versa)
5x5 W/O are pretty good , so is the 5/3/1 system (both you can research on here and the 'net)
and find a good training partner if you don’t have one yet…
It’s very difficult to push yourself (possible failure) if you have no form of safety (spotter)
G/L
[/quote]

Appreciate it. And yea I’ve started doing the 5x5. Now that you have suggested it also, I’ll look into it more and get a comprehensive split.

The hardest thing IMO, is to not train AS much (volume or BB mentality)…
Leave the isolation moves for later on down the road…Machines are nice and have their place, but not in a strength building routine. The key is to train hard and try to increase everytime.

i agree with Huffer. But i prefer every 3rd week to get away from 5+5 and go 5+3…

I’ve been on the bill Starr program for 4 weeks now and I’m loving it so far. Constant progression and I feel stronger. Of course I wont really see results for another four weeks or so but ill keep y’all posted

Looking to get back into training. Been training one day a week since January this year because of work. I’ve put in my resignation and I’ll be heading back home (Tokelau) in two weeks. Like Tysdon I want to get strong as possible.

ATM i only have:
1 x Olympic standard barbbell
160kgs of weights
60kgs of chains
4 sandbags @ 20kgs each

Coconut tree logs which Im guessing weigh in between approx 60 - 100kgs and some odd shaped stones lying around the beach

Deadlift 210kgs
Squat 120kgs (i think, its been awhile since i last did a max effort)
and Bench 110kgs

as mentioned it has been awhile since i last did a ME so the above weights may be less than stated. In terms of nutrition I’m pretty much living off the land; Coconuts, fish, shell fish, chicken, pigs etc. As Tokelau is isolated and no landing strip, ships/ boats come in at least twice a month so i will be getting a constant supply of Protein and other supplements.

Anyway i’ll keep yous posted of progression and i’ll try and send some photos.