Getting Started

Hello: I’m not in very good shape at the moment, but would like to get started on some kind of work-out plan. I have read several of the articles and there is a wealth of good information, but I’m not sure what I can do to actually get started. I would kindly appreciate any advice on where to begin for someone new to working out. Thank you.

[quote]wkharman wrote:
Hello: I’m not in very good shape at the moment, but would like to get started on some kind of work-out plan. I have read several of the articles and there is a wealth of good information, but I’m not sure what I can do to actually get started. I would kindly appreciate any advice on where to begin for someone new to working out. Thank you.

[/quote]

That’s a pretty broad question.

1. How athletic are/were you? Being a beginner that has never played sports in his life is different than being a beginner who once was a good athlete and/or very active

2. How old are you?

3. What are your exact goals? “Getting in shape” is not a goal… it’s too broad… I’ve rarely seen someone who simply wanted to “get in shape” achieve anything worth mentioning. A goal (1) is precise, (2) measurable (3), (4) realistic, (4) has a deadline/time frame (5) a specific strategy. The more precise it is in your mind, the greater are your chances to succeed. For example “I want to get in better shape this year by going to the gym” basically has zero chance of success. “I want to lose 20lbs of fat and gain 10lbs of muscle within the next 6 months and I will do this by lifting weights four times a week and doing cardio after each workout” is a lot more precise and has a lot more chances for success.

As for goals, if someone wants to gain a lot of muscle and another person is only interested in losing fat, the strategy will be very different.

1. Do you have any injuries or limitations?

2. Do you have any lifting experience?

Thanks for the reply. I’m 47. About 15 years ago I started working out. Losing weight was not my concern as I’m a thin guy. My goal back then was to build muscle and develop a definition. I was very dedicated and loved my work outs. However, once I got into my 40’s I gradually stopped working out to the point when I don’t anymore. However, I’m missing it and I want to get started. My goal is to build muscle an develop a definition. Thanks.

Hello,

you ‘‘should’’ run a basic programm that will help you to get back into lifting. Maybe 3-4 days a week, focusing on the big lifts, technique and progression.
In an other thread CT has outlined this programm:

My recommendation if you are that “skinny” and “can’t move much weight” would be to pick three main movements and train them 3-4 days a week (e.g. deadlift, bench press, front squat) and to that add 1 main assistance movement per day and 1 isolation exercise. The main movements are done for 3 sets of 3, then 3 sets of 6. The assistance lifts for 4 x 6 and the isolation movement for 3 x 8-12. For example:

DAY 1
Front squat 3 x 3, 3 x 6
Bench press 3 x 3, 3 x 6
Deadlift 3 x 3, 3 x 6
Bent over row 4 x 6
Barbell curl 3 x 8-12

DAY 2
Bench press 3 x 3, 3 x 6
Deadlift 3 x 3, 3 x 6
Front squat 3 x 3, 3 x 6
Push press 4 x 6
DB lateral raises 3 x 8-12

DAY 3
Deadlift 3 x 3, 3 x 6
Front squat 3 x 3, 3 x 6
Bench press 3 x 3, 3 x 6
Leg press 4 x 6
Leg curl 3 x 8-12

*NOTE: After the main work you would do loaded carries 3-5 sets of 1 minute with as much weight as you can

*NOTE 2: Notice the rotation in the order of the main movements, very important so that each main movement is done once a week in a fresh state

Quote from CT ^^ http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_thibaudeau/which_of_cts_programs_is_best_for_a_skinny_guy?id=5903470&pageNo=1

That’s great! Thanks for the recommendations to get me started.

[quote]wkharman wrote:
That’s great! Thanks for the recommendations to get me started.[/quote]

Please still read the wohle thread ( link^^) and follow the instructions detailled :slight_smile: