Getting Started With Comics...

I don’t have the patience or the information to debate with Prof X so I’ll keep it simple.

80’s comics :kicked ass.
90’s comics: kicked ass.
2000 comics: I don’t give a fuck.

As long as Thor is one of the top 3 heroes in the universe, I’m happy.

damnit, how come theres no jacked geeks around where i live. its either guidos, jocks, or skinny oily gross nerds

Little geek/body dysmorphic side-funny:

a few years ago, when I topped out at 210lbs and single-digit BF, I walked into a comic shop (which is now local) with my sleaveless karate shirt. I picked up about $100 worth of books, took them up to Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. He asks me if the gym let out early, and if I was going to need any help in reading some of the bigger words. I had a not-so-witty comeback, got a discount, left.

For the OP, start pretty much anywhere not labeled Lie-Field. Or anything which looks similar. (I refuse to spell or speak his name)

As far as getting the whole story is concerned it may be a bit of a bugger to do as there were often multiple titles of one character running at one time with different stories.

Amazing Spiderman
Web of Spiderman
Spectacular Spiderman

I believe all of them ran at the same time or overlapped at times.

Start with the newer comics as they are visually more impressive and the writing is more contemporary and edgier in general than the older stuff. After that you should go back and read older stuff as it is nice to get a dose of nostalgia every once in a while. Ditko and Kirby are a must.

I’ve been enjoying the new Punisher series, written by Garth Ennis. They come in graphic novels to cover the different arcs, like In The Beginning, Kitchen Irish, and Mother Russia. Its dark, good writing, and definitely graphic.

I’m not really a fan of superheroes with super powers, so this was right down my alley.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Storyline is last on my list.

[/quote]

That is in large part why they are in decline… A good story is paramount…
By the way yeah the art work now IS awesome.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
This might seem like an odd question, but to someone new to the entire realm, it can be overwhelming…

Let’s say I was interested in the hulk and wanted to start from the beginning…is there a single line of comics that deal with just his story?

Are they in chronological order? Is it an ongoing story?

I mean…where does one start?

Seems we have a few buffs around here, gimme some tips. I really, really enjoyed the story behind the hulk last night.[/quote]

The dvd compilations are fine for getting every issue, but reading every issue is not necessary. About every 10-15 years the mainstream characters get re-invented. Plus, as one author leaves and a new author picks up the story the character may veer and head off in a new direction for better or worse. This is why long standing heroes lead such soap opera like lives. Read a major characters bio on Wkipedia and see if it your head doesn’t spin.

One way to start is by selecting a few characters that appeal to you and pick up a couple of the recent trade paper backs (TPBs). For the Hulk I would start with Prequel to Planet Hulk, Planet Hulk, and World War Hulk. That would bring you up to AfterSmash and The Incredible Hercules.

Another way (and my preferred way) to start is seeking out highly recommended story arcs such as those kevinm1 has suggested or look for highly reccommended authors. Frank Miller and his stint with “Batman: The Dark Knight Returns” comes to mind. If you like Millers work then you can explore his other stuff like the “Sin City” series.

Jim Lee and J. Scott Campbell teamed up and created “Gen 13” which I thought was great but some sticks in the mud clained was too sexy, as if… Other good Jim Lee team ups were with Marc Silvestri for the early 90s X-Men, with Brian Azzarello on “Superman: For Tomorrow” and with Jeph Loeb for “Batman: Hush”.

J. Scott Campbell went on to write “Danger Girl” which is just plain FUN to read. Its got humor, over the top action, and it’s sexy as hell.

Michael Turner’s Fathom and Witch Blade are both phenomenal. Nobody draws a woman like Turner does.

For great stories aimed for more adult readers you can’t beat Vertigo as a publisher. The art generally isn’t as flashy as the capes and cowl stuff but the stories are epic, addicting, and they don’t pull their punches. “Preacher” by Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon would be a great start.

Hopefully that’s not too overwehlming. I someimes get carried away.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
damnit, how come theres no jacked geeks around where i live. its either guidos, jocks, or skinny oily gross nerds[/quote]

We are a rare breed, then throw in the fact that some of us actually gasp read other things besides muscle adn fitness and comic books for entertainment and look out. FYI I find the term guido offensive I am Italian and I do not represent the sub culture of douchebag that one refers to as guido

[quote]spiderman739 wrote:
As far as getting the whole story is concerned it may be a bit of a bugger to do as there were often multiple titles of one character running at one time with different stories.

Amazing Spiderman
Web of Spiderman
Spectacular Spiderman

I believe all of them ran at the same time or overlapped at times.

Start with the newer comics as they are visually more impressive and the writing is more contemporary and edgier in general than the older stuff. After that you should go back and read older stuff as it is nice to get a dose of nostalgia every once in a while. Ditko and Kirby are a must.[/quote]

I remember when the all ran at the same time. It sucked.

These are some great suggestions. I’m thinking about starting up reading comics again but was unsure of where to start.

The Frank Miller Batman series sounds interesting. Any other good Batman ones out there?

How about Captain America?

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
These are some great suggestions. I’m thinking about starting up reading comics again but was unsure of where to start.

The Frank Miller Batman series sounds interesting. Any other good Batman ones out there?

How about Captain America?[/quote]

Some good Batman Arcs:
-Dark Knight Returns (been said, but good place to start)
-Year 1 (again, by Miller, and totally retool the origin)
-Arkham Asylum (Inmates take over the Asylum)
-Long Halloween & Dark Victory (by Jeff Loeb, good stuff!)
-Gotham by Gaslight (Imagine Batmen during the
time of Jack the Ripper! It’s an ‘elseworlds’ story)
-Hush (great story, sometimes a little too complicated,
but Jim Lees artwork make it worthwhile when it gets
confusing)

S

Hush . . .

Sweet God. Everything from that run got retconned to hell and back again.

The character Hush had sooooo much potential; he’s basically the non-enhanced anti-batman (that being Dethstroke). But, there’s only so much you can do to that character, I guess.

Grant Morrison’s run on Batman is turning out great.

Immortal Iron Fist is one of, if not THE, greatest comic books currently being produced.
The Tournament in Heaven contained the best martial arts in comics I’ve ever seen . . . and I’ve always been a Karate Kid/Val Amorr fanboy. Check that out.

Remember, comics often reflect the times in which there are written. To shoot them down for being old and poorly written is unfair. In the 70’s a cheesy character named Dazzler was introduced by Marvel in the Spiderman books…why, because disco was hot so Marvel represented. (I think she was on roller skates)

In the 60’s they were cheesy but that reflective of America’s desire to have heroes, standing up for democracy and justice…why, because of the past & present wars.(enter Captain America) Light & cheesy can be fun and if the OP really likes the HULK or SPIDEY then the go to the comic shop and flip through the dusty boxes and pick up some early issues. To know where these heroes are now you must know their past.

Actually, yeah,… Dazzler wore Roller Skates, Bell Bottoms, and would use her mutant power to concert Disco Music into a light show on stage -lol. My buddy always refered to the 70’s as the ‘Decade that taste forgot’.

S

[quote]Vash wrote:
Hush . . .

The character Hush had sooooo much potential; he’s basically the non-enhanced anti-batman (that being Dethstroke). But, there’s only so much you can do to that character, I guess.

Immortal Iron Fist is one of, if not THE, greatest comic books currently being produced.
The Tournament in Heaven contained the best martial arts in comics I’ve ever seen . . . and I’ve always been a Karate Kid/Val Amorr fanboy. Check that out.[/quote]

Agreed on Iron Fist. I just hate that they don’t do more with Luke Cage.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Vash wrote:
Hush . . .

The Tournament in Heaven contained the best martial arts in comics I’ve ever seen . . . and I’ve always been a Karate Kid/Val Amorr fanboy. Check that out.

Agreed on Iron Fist. I just hate that they don’t do more with Luke Cage.[/quote]

F’in’ srsly. like the curent sub-plot with Rand reopening and backing Heroes for Hire, and being the financier of the outlaw Avengers that Cage is fronting.

I think the prime reason Cage is not getting as much development is no one really knows what to do with him. He’s going to be carrying the “Sweet Chris’mas” baggage for a hell of a long time, and it’s going to take some very talented writers to develop him at the same time they trim the fat.

(see, I didn’t even once mention the difficulty of white writers updating and de-sploiting a blaxploitation characature! Oh, hell, oops . . .)

[quote]Vash wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Vash wrote:
Hush . . .

F’in’ srsly. like the curent sub-plot with Rand reopening and backing Heroes for Hire, and being the financier of the outlaw Avengers that Cage is fronting.

I think the prime reason Cage is not getting as much development is no one really knows what to do with him. He’s going to be carrying the “Sweet Chris’mas” baggage for a hell of a long time, and it’s going to take some very talented writers to develop him at the same time they trim the fat.

(see, I didn’t even once mention the difficulty of white writers updating and de-sploiting a blaxploitation characature! Oh, hell, oops . . .) [/quote]

It isn’t that hard. They did it very well with Blade so they can do it here as well. It just needs someone bold enough to make some changes that will last. His overall character may have worked way back in 1979, but today, it is a little played out. This a man who is bulletproof, weighs over 400lbs and can not be injured aside from minor bruises from some of the strongest villains in the world…but he’s that broke and still fits the same stereotype.

If you have a chance, find that Black Panther comic (I am not sure of the name but it is fairly recent within the last year or so) where it is just him and Luke Cage. It was one of the funnier comics I’ve read and THAT is where they need to take the character full time…a streetwise, cool, smartass who works as a bodyguard for (a Puff Daddy clone in the comics) who turns on him when “Puff” pimp slaps a woman in his entourage…while Black Panther just happens to be in the club looking for a future wife. The man catches a bullet in his hands and simply says, “ouch”.

His link to Black Panther could be the very link that gives that character substance.

they are making a movie right now on that character. Hopefully that is where they are taking it.

Vash wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Vash wrote:
Hush . . .

(see, I didn’t even once mention the difficulty of white writers updating and de-sploiting a blaxploitation characature! Oh, hell, oops . . .)

It isn’t that hard. They did it very well with Blade so they can do it here as well. It just needs someone bold enough to make some changes that will last. His overall character may have worked way back in 1979, but today, it is a little played out. This a man who is bulletproof, weighs over 400lbs and can not be injured aside from minor bruises from some of the strongest villains in the world…but he’s that broke and still fits the same stereotype.

If you have a chance, find that Black Panther comic (I am not sure of the name but it is fairly recent within the last year or so) where it is just him and Luke Cage. It was one of the funnier comics I’ve read and THAT is where they need to take the character full time…a streetwise, cool, smartass who works as a bodyguard for (a Puff Daddy clone in the comics) who turns on him when “Puff” pimp slaps a woman in his entourage…while Black Panther just happens to be in the club looking for a future wife. The man catches a bullet in his hands and simply says, “ouch”.

His link to Black Panther could be the very link that gives that character substance.

they are making a movie right now on that character. Hopefully that is where they are taking it.[/quote]

you realize I’m going to spend the next hour looking for that issue, you do realize this, right?

Edit: give me a range to work from

[quote]Qaash wrote:

you realize I’m going to spend the next hour looking for that issue, you do realize this, right?[/quote]

It’s worth it. It is my favorite Black Panther comic to date. It is just before he decides to settle down with Storm.

Qaash wrote:

you realize I’m going to spend the next hour looking for that issue, you do realize this, right?

It’s worth it. It is my favorite Black Panther comic to date. It is just before he decides to settle down with Storm.[/quote]

Thanks! That really narrows it down. It’s in the first 12-15 issues.

Edit:
http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=4140

The story is in issues 10-13 collected in the trade in the link above.