T Nation

Getting Started With Comics...

This might seem like an odd question, but to someone new to the entire realm, it can be overwhelming…

Let’s say I was interested in the hulk and wanted to start from the beginning…is there a single line of comics that deal with just his story?

Are they in chronological order? Is it an ongoing story?

I mean…where does one start?

Seems we have a few buffs around here, gimme some tips. I really, really enjoyed the story behind the hulk last night.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
This might seem like an odd question, but to someone new to the entire realm, it can be overwhelming…

Let’s say I was interested in the hulk and wanted to start from the beginning…is there a single line of comics that deal with just his story?

Are they in chronological order? Is it an ongoing story?

I mean…where does one start?

Seems we have a few buffs around here, gimme some tips. I really, really enjoyed the story behind the hulk last night.[/quote]

I’m not a comic “buff” but I have gotten back into them now that Marvel seems to be growing in its writing along with the audience reading them.

There is no one way to get into the comics again. You could start with something like this:

…which will get you every comic made up until about 2006. I did this with Iron Man. They are difficult to read at time on the computer so that is the major downside.

Also, you could get the compilations like:

It is up to you. I buy most of mine from Amazon since I don’t live near a good comic store anymore (the one in Florida was literally a nerd’s dream warehouse).

Mind you, there is a HUGE difference in story telling from comics from 20 years ago compared to today. I personally don’t c are at all about earlier comics other than nostalgia.

Buy the trade paperbacks Marvel has been pretty good about trading their stuff lately, sucked that Armor Wars just came out(18yrs later). Also go to a comic shop and ask the guy who works there, the guy who works at mine likes helping new people

Along the lines of what X was saying: Stay away from older comics. The writing is so cheesey and horrid it’s unbelievable. Even some of the new stuff is pretty bad. Choose wisely, however, and you can find some incredible art. If any of you were fans of the TV show Angel, the relatively new comic is amazing; much better than even Marvel’s new, edgier work.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Along the lines of what X was saying: Stay away from older comics. The writing is so cheesey and horrid it’s unbelievable. Even some of the new stuff is pretty bad. Choose wisely, however, and you can find some incredible art. If any of you were fans of the TV show Angel, the relatively new comic is amazing; much better than even Marvel’s new, edgier work.[/quote]

EH? Older stuff bad? Extinction agenda, Fall of the Mutants, Mutnat Massacre, Streets of Poison?

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
Along the lines of what X was saying: Stay away from older comics. The writing is so cheesey and horrid it’s unbelievable. Even some of the new stuff is pretty bad. Choose wisely, however, and you can find some incredible art. If any of you were fans of the TV show Angel, the relatively new comic is amazing; much better than even Marvel’s new, edgier work.

EH? Older stuff bad? Extinction agenda, Fall of the Mutants, Mutnat Massacre, Streets of Poison? [/quote]

Most older comics ARE bad compared to the ones being released today. Comics from the 70’s are written like the only people reading them were under the age of 10. Comics today are written for their audience and they know by now that many of them are up into their 30’s.

There is no comic from the 1980’s or earlier as gritty as a newer Punisher graphic novel.

You picked a few examples as if that is a representation of all early work…and that is just not the case.

Be careful of parallel stories. At one time I think there were as many as 5 spiderman stories running at the same time. This was many years ago but it still happens. For instance the WEB of Spiderman is different than Spiderman. This happens when different artists have the opportunity to tell their versions of popular character stories.

In my experience trying to start at the beginning is hard because beginnings in comics can change. Look at Wolverine’s saga. Find a character you like and dive in. You will work forward but also begin to look backwards in the stories. Not to mention you will be introduced to other characters that have series that are just as good if not better.

I have enjoyed this site since I know little about graphic novels and have been going to check out the ones people reference on this site. I live in NYC so it is just about the best comic book scene money can buy.

I don’t know about you guys, but I read comics because of the action, artwork, and the main character. Storyline is last on my list.

Can’t say i’ve read any traditional superhero comics but two series that I REALLY enjoyed were Transmetropolitan and Preacher

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
I don’t know about you guys, but I read comics because of the action, artwork, and the main character. Storyline is last on my list.

[/quote]

I know it sounds dorky but when I re-read comics it is the story that pulls me back. My 1st time through it is about everything you describe above.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
Vicomte wrote:

EH? Older stuff bad? Extinction agenda, Fall of the Mutants, Mutnat Massacre, Streets of Poison?

Most older comics ARE bad compared to the ones being released today. Comics from the 70’s are written like the only people reading them were under the age of 10. Comics today are written for their audience and they know by now that many of them are up into their 30’s.

There is no comic from the 1980’s or earlier as gritty as a newer Punisher graphic novel.

You picked a few examples as if that is a representation of all early work…and that is just not the case.[/quote]

Agree to disagree This man this monster(60’s ff story), Marvel when they restarted their super hero line was very adult themed.

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

I know it sounds dorky but when I re-read comics it is the story that pulls me back. My 1st time through it is about everything you describe above.[/quote]

The “action, artwork and character” are better in comics made after the mid 90’s. I doubt many of us would be compelled to read too many comics from 40 years ago when the action was juvenile and sugar coated. The story line matters if you plan on getting something that you will actually read more than once.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
Vicomte wrote:

You picked a few examples as if that is a representation of all early work…and that is just not the case.

Agree to disagree This man this monster(60’s ff story), Marvel when they restarted their super hero line was very adult themed. [/quote]

I’m not saying that there were NEVER ANY comics ever made before the 90’s worth reading. But if your stance is that most of the comics made decades ago stand on equal ground with those made today, you need to share whatever it is you are taking.

I see what you guys are saying - I think I’m in the middle - to me that is the original storylines with what X is saying - writing that is geared towards a more mature audience.

The DVD set you pointed me towards is exactly what I’m looking for, thanks. It would be nice to have them in actual hardcopy, but that’s a great place to start.

kevinm1 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
Vicomte wrote:

Agree to disagree This man this monster(60’s ff story), Marvel when they restarted their super hero line was very adult themed.

I’m not saying that there were NEVER ANY comics ever made before the 90’s worth reading. But if your stance is that most of the comics made decades ago stand on equal ground with those made today, you need to share whatever it is you are taking.[/quote]

Not all books can be winners, look how they portrayed African American heros in the 70’s Luke Cage was a murder(framed) the Falcon was a pimp until the Skull used the cosmic cube to alter his brain to be more like Capt America’s(I got this really cheesy record/comic and the voice they have for the Falcon is just so bad it’s like are you serious?). All I’m trying to say is not all books are winners but for their times they’re good

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
Vicomte wrote:

I’m not saying that there were NEVER ANY comics ever made before the 90’s worth reading. But if your stance is that most of the comics made decades ago stand on equal ground with those made today, you need to share whatever it is you are taking.

Not all books can be winners, look how they portrayed African American heros in the 70’s Luke Cage was a murder(framed) the Falcon was a pimp until the Skull used the cosmic cube to alter his brain to be more like Capt America’s(I got this really cheesy record/comic and the voice they have for the Falcon is just so bad it’s like are you serious?). All I’m trying to say is not all books are winners but for their times they’re good
[/quote]

That’s the point though. Luke Cage was a JOKE when he was first created. He was an answer to ‘blaxploitation’ films of the 70’s…like Blackula (yes, that was a real movie and not a cereal). There is no way a comic like that would make it out of the gate today, forcing writing to improve for that character. Today, Luke Cage is actually interesting and not just known for making stereotypically black comments every time something happens.

I am glad people like Stan Lee came up with some of the very first black characters in print along with all of his other work), but I won’t pretend like all of the early stuff is on par with some of the works of art from today.

The entire New Avengers books (with Spiderwoman and Cage) are written with good depth and a mature look on events. that would have not occurred in the 60’s. Hell, the Invisible Woman acts more like the leader of the FF now in many circumstances than simply Reed’s wife.

kevinm1 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
kevinm1 wrote:
Vicomte wrote:

That’s the point though. Luke Cage was a JOKE when he was first created. He was an answer to ‘blaxploitation’ films of the 70’s…like Blackula (yes, that was a real movie and not a cereal). There is no way a comic like that would make it out of the gate today, forcing writing to improve for that character. Today, Luke Cage is actually interesting and not just known for making stereotypically black comments every time something happens.

I am glad people like Stan Lee came up with some of the very first black characters in print along with all of his other work), but I won’t pretend like all of the early stuff is on par with some of the works of art from today.

The entire New Avengers books (with Spiderwoman and Cage) are written with good depth and a mature look on events. that would have not occurred in the 60’s. Hell, the Invisible Woman acts more like the leader of the FF now in many circumstances than simply Reed’s wife.[/quote]
I don’t think so either my comment was in
response to the guy who said all the earlier stuff was trash and it wasn’t. I remeber Blackula I’ve seen both films as well as Blackenstein, little trival knowledge William Marshall(Blackula) was the voice of the Juggernaut in an episode of Spiderman and his Amazing Friends. Anyway back on topic can you name an influencial character that wasn’t from the 80’s or before?

and yes my new gif is bad ass

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

response to the guy who said all the earlier stuff was trash and it wasn’t. I remeber Blackula I’ve seen both films as well as Blackenstein, little trival knowledge William Marshall(Blackula) was the voice of the Juggernaut in an episode of Spiderman and his Amazing Friends. [/quote]

OK, that is worth at least 5,000 Geek Points. No Homo.

Not really, but that wasn’t the point. I respect the early work of the creators. They are the reason we have these new bad ass movies to go to, especially considering I had pretty much given up on actually going to a movie before this.

However, these characters have just now reached a level of maturity that allows readers NOT in junior high school something to latch onto as well.

That isn’t an attempt to discredit early work. I just know what I like…and 1960-70’s comics are generally not that.

kevinm1 wrote:

response to the guy who said all the earlier stuff was trash and it wasn’t. I remeber Blackula I’ve seen both films as well as Blackenstein, little trival knowledge William Marshall(Blackula) was the voice of the Juggernaut in an episode of Spiderman and his Amazing Friends.

OK, that is worth at least 5,000 Geek Points. No Homo.

Anyway back on topic can you name an influencial character that wasn’t from the 80’s or before?

Not really, but that wasn’t the point. I respect the early work of the creators. They are the reason we have these new bad ass movies to go to, especially considering I had pretty much given up on actually going to a movie before this.

However, these characters have just now reached a level of maturity that allows readers NOT in junior high school something to latch onto ass well.

That isn’t an attempt to discredit early work. I just know what I like…and 1960-70’s comics are generally not that.[/quote]

Yeah I got geek points!!! I wasn’t really trying to hate on the stuff out now I love the Max Punisher, although I also like War Journal which is set in tradional marvel u. I like the old Spiderman cartoons from the 80’s and the new one’s out now I try to appreciate it all and take it for the tiem period