Getting Started w/ Sleds, Father and Son

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]fish_4_all wrote:
I’m 42, out of shape, okay strength. Looking to gain muscle, lose inches in waste and get back into both muscular and cardio shape.
Son is 14, going to start training for high school football. Needs to put on some weight and a lot of muscle mass. Speed, agility and stamina also.[/quote]
Nutrition will be crucial for both of you to reach your goals (Side note: you do need to prioritize your goals. You can’t do four things at once).

Priority is my son. If I have to work like he does then so be it. there has to be a way for me to get a coupe of my goals while working out with him and doing what he does. Eventually he will simply surpass what I can accomplish in many areas. I just have to make sure he sees it and I give him a little competition early on to make sure he works harder and builds muscle.

There was a recent thread with a dad looking to help his 15-year old put on some size for football. Check it out for some good tips:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/15_year_old_weight_gaining_advice

I will check it out, thank you.

Injury?

Medical condition, lifting weight has the potential to be dangerous. Unpredictable and uncontrollable muscle tremors make a bar a dangerous thing.

Those helped a lot, I will get to work on a plan and post it for fine tuning.

It’s awesome that you guys will be working together, but do understand that your goals are pretty opposite, so sooner or later, you won’t be able to do the same kind of training. Very-very-very basically, lift 2-4 days a week and use the sled 2-4 days a week.

There are tons of lifting plans on the site, any basic one would work. The articles above should help you sort out how to use the sled. As simple as alternating heavy/short distance with lighter/longer distance sessions with the sled is a place to start.

More great information, I am glad I asked for help because I searched for 2 weeks and never saw any of the articles or posts you recommended. Maybe my search skills just suck.

Height, weight, and general fat level (pudgy, average looking, lean) for both of you would be a start. Do you have other equipment in your home gym?[/quote]

5"9" 190, good strength in core and legs, mediocre in arms, body fat about 25% but that is a guess, never had it calculated properly. My tremors have a great side effect, lots of muscle just i the wrong places and I would bet formed and used in the wrong way. Twisting motion, while I see it in workouts, probably are not a good thing when they occur for at least 90 minutes a day. I may be too hard on myself for my actual physical condition. I can run 50 yards every minute or two and not fall over out of breath. I can do 20-30 push-ups, 35-40 sit-ups, carry both my sons, 250# or so, and still walk full stride for 20 yards. I can still lift a 150# bail of hay and move it without too much effort ad not become winded.

Son is 5’3" 125# lean mean running fighting machine. Lean with about 7/8 of a six pack or 8 pack in his case. Can sprint all day, 50 push-ups and sit-ups is a good warm-up for him.

Nutrition: I have to research this and research it hard. I know I do not know near enough to even come close to a proper diet for my son to build enough muscle where he needs to.

Other equipment: Ab Lounge, total gym, dumbbells, exercise bands, Gazelle freestyle. Gym workout will hopefully start with the high school soon and be done right so lifting should be covered. Football coach is supposed to run it and focus on technique and muscle building.

I’ll be honest, I want to work with him to motivate myself to workout. Doing separate workouts will become a necessity sooner than I want but until then, his workout is mine, as much as I can do, as long as I can do it and as many reps as I can do with him. Minus the weight training.