T Nation

Getting Started in Olympic Lifting

I am trying to get started on some Olympic lifting routines, and advice would be appreciated, thanks

Er basically find a trainer OR someone in the gym who knows, good form on oly lifts is essential or else you learn it wrong for life.

Ditto, find a trainer or someone who knows good form. Also helps to read up on the lifts – there’s some good articles on T-Nation that talk about the oly lifts.

As stated get some people who know how to do the lifts to show you but also increase your own knowledge base. On youtube you can see videos of pyrros dimas lifting and our own olympic team. There are books out there on form, tommy kono lectures (also on youtube). Also helpful is to breakdown the lifts into their parts and perfect those.

Google weightlifting clubs/classes in your ara- and join your local club.

IF you are interested, remember this will NOT be “packing on the mass”…

Joe

Not a good way to get big?

is that what your saying joe?

They are if you learn the proper technique and implement them in your Bodybuilding/PL training sessions…

But if you want to be an Oly lifter and join a club you will not be getting big. Strong as FUCK, just not big… saying that - the ones who have the genetics are decent little muscular jack russells… and the olympic squatters etc are big, but you are on about clean and snatch lifts, no?

Joe

Christian Thib has a 12 week beginner routine in his book Black Book of Training Secrets. Check it out. It is VERY thorough and gradually introduces the lifts to the beginner from simple to complex and also includes the proper accessory exercises.

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:

Joe[/quote]

But you will be “Packing on the Power” which has benefits in and unto itself:)

Explosive strength FTW!

www.exrx.net/index.html

This has a basic plan for Olympic Lifting
as well as a basic linear periodization program for Powerlifting.

You could also use the Russian Squat Program generator and do a 3-a-week program where you just Snatched, Cleaned, and Back Squatted with the prescribed percentages.

Crossfit.com is a great place to go if you want to integrate Olympic Lifting into your program but you don’t want to compete.

—Off Topic—

Some of their workouts are awesome and some are just stupid. - If you find the video of “Heavy Fran” and try that workout, your ass will be kicked and you will be stronger. Everyone thinks that the 300 workout will get you cut. They’re wrong. Go Do Heavy Fran.

21reps - 135lb Front Squat to Push Press
21reps - 45lb Weighted Chins
15reps - 135lb Front Squat to Push Press
15reps - 45lb Weighted Chins
9reps - 135lb Front Squat to Push Press
9pres - 45lb Weighted Chins

Do this for time.

Also here are some links i have saved due to the fact i use them too…

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/money_exercises&cr=

www.bodybuildinguniverse.com/routine8.htm

JOe

I answered it for you in the Beginners section, where you asked the same question.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2135937

Thank you everyone, all extremely helpful ideas and hints.

Get a coach. The longer you wait, the longer you will likely be ingraining bad habits.
This post has some tips on finding a coach in your area.

First of all, go to http://goheavy.com
The Olympic Weightlifting forum is where a lot of Oly lifters and coaches hang out. You can ask for a coach in your area and somebody will point you in the right direction.

I see you are from California. If you are from the Bay Area, you are in luck because there are a few EXCELLENT coaches here. Let me know.

The City.

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:

Joe[/quote]

I have had success with it boosting T-levels and then supplementing with building routines to pack on mass so I guess it can def. assist in packing on mass but beyond getting a sick set of glutes, traps, and thighs. The exercises themselves don’t pack on much mass at all.

[quote]xivb4m wrote:
The City.[/quote]

Dude, then go to Jim Schmitz’…at the moment, I understand that he is training people in a gym in South City (that’s South San Francisco for the rest of you), so you might have to take the BART, but he is the MAN. He was coach of the US Olympic Team two or three times. When I lived in the City he was on Valencia Street. His gym, the Sports Palace, was the archetypal T-Nation gym…dark, dank, and funky. The kind of place that attracts iron lubbers and frightens aerobic types. I loved it.

I live in Palo Alto, a bit too far given my responsibilties. Else, I would be training with hin now.

You can ask for the address of his new gym over on goheavy.com OR just google his name. He sometimes posts on goheavy.com and he writes an article for ironmind.com

You won’t necessarily gain leg mass, but you’ll likely get a nicely defined VMO

[quote]Hunt wrote:
Joe Joseph wrote:

Joe

I have had success with it boosting T-levels and then supplementing with building routines to pack on mass so I guess it can def. assist in packing on mass but beyond getting a sick set of glutes, traps, and thighs. The exercises themselves don’t pack on much mass at all.[/quote]

I actually really like the olympic lifter physique. The 85s upwards (but not superheavys heh) especially. You see Taranenko in the 1980 Olympics? 110kg of solid muscle. And those guys are built like HORSES. Huge legs and hips, normal sized arms (but pure muscle), and gigantic lats.

That being said I agree that if you just focused on Olympic lifting as an intermediate lifter you aren’t going to show great size gains until you become very proficient. Didn’t Vasily Alexeev recommend a lot of complexes and higher rep work for taller lifters to start growing muscle asap? I think this is a very good idea and I’ve incorporated it into my training.