T Nation

Getting Someone to Quit Smoking

so my roommate smokes cigarettes and i want to know what to tell him to get him to quit.
-i need something other than its going to kill you.
-he quits on occasion but never quits for good.
-he works out and is in good shape (football player)
-so other than the lung cancer thing, is smoking stopping him from gaining what he really could be gaining in the gym?
-since he is so active there is no motivation to quit because he doesn’t seem affected by it (no wheezing or short of breath)

thank you guys

[quote]MrLarry wrote:
so my roommate smokes cigarettes and i want to know what to tell him to get him to quit.
-i need something other than its going to kill you.
-he quits on occasion but never quits for good.
-he works out and is in good shape (football player)
-so other than the lung cancer thing, is smoking stopping him from gaining what he really could be gaining in the gym?
-since he is so active there is no motivation to quit because he doesn’t seem affected by it (no wheezing or short of breath)

thank you guys[/quote]

Well, it’s really hard to get someone to stop smoking. It took my mother a swift kick in the lungs to scare her to the point that she realized it wasn’t worth her life.

You can mention that he smells. Don’t relate it to cigarettes, just say that he smells, then make the connection at a later date (but relatively soon). Also, mention that smoking gives you bad teeth.

However, as with most-if not all-smokers, they lack the foresight and willpower to quit now. Many of them are extremely stubborn and won’t do anything until it’s too late. Given that, just mention that it’s safer to stop and not have to worry about future issues than to keep smoking and have to deal with them in the future. If he doesn’t respond in any way to that, then so be it. He’ll learn eventually, but it might be too late.

Get female friends of his to complain, especially about his smell.

You cannot say anything that will get him to quit, all you can do is help him if he wants to quit.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
You cannot say anything that will get him to quit, all you can do is help him if he wants to quit.[/quote]

I clicked on this thread thinking you’d say something funny…I…ummm…I’m dissapointed…kinda like when you hear one song on the radior by a band and it’s cool and you buy the record and every other song sucks…thanks…I hope the OP got something out of your non-funny comment…

You could stab him in the chest, most people find it hard to smoke with a collapsed lung.

I’d find a new room mate. Tell him it’s because of his smoking. That probably won’t have any effect but at least you won’t be forced to be around it anymore.

impossible

I tell my roommates I won’t push around their oxgyen tanks when their older, they laugh, but they never quit.

but does will/does it affect his lifting/training/muscle growth in any way? because that will make him at least think about it if i can relate to his performance?

he doesnt smoke around me

“Only YOU can prevent forest fires” Smokey the mother fucking bear

As a former smoker - quit two years ago after 16 years at about a pack a day - there is nothing that can be said that will make him quit. It is entirely an individual decision and he has to be ready. Once he is there, you can help him deal with unexpected cravings and keep him on track, but until then don’t even bother.

When he is asleep go into his room and steal his cigs.

You thought that was it didn’t you?

Stick each individual cig in your ass; one at a time, or if you want to get creative you can insert multiple cigs. After you do this put 'em all back in the pack and put back in his room.

The next day, AFTER he lights one up and has a few drags, tell him that last night you stuck his squares up your ass. He may, or may not quit, but it will at least give you two something to joke about when there is that awkward silence when you come visit him at the hospital before he gets his throat cut out.

Debbie Downer fo sho.

[quote]dk44 wrote:

Stick each individual cig in your ass; one at a time, or if you want to get creative you can insert multiple cigs. After you do this put 'em all back in the pack and put back in his room.

The next day, AFTER he lights one up and has a few drags, tell him that last night you stuck his squares up your ass. He may, or may not quit, but it will at least give you two something to joke about when there is that awkward silence when you come visit him at the hospital before he gets his throat cut out.

Debbie Downer fo sho. [/quote]

The amount of nicotine absorbed from the cigs in your anal cavity would likely kill/make you extremely sick. Ironically, you’d suffer for trying to prevent your friend’s suffering. :slight_smile:

[quote]dk44 wrote:

Debbie Downer fo sho. [/quote]

That’s too f’n funny.