Getting Smoke Checked

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I would pick 5-6 BW exercises (push-ups, side-straddle-hops, burpees, crunches, etc…) and do 10 reps per exercise then move to the next exercise with no rest. [/quote]

I do something similar (10 reps of 10 calisthenics with no rest under 5 minutes) at judo practice.

Shit is deceptively hard. I can’t even imagine how difficult it’ll be if I manage to do it with some actual ROM on the buddy squats and the clapping push-ups.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I would pick 5-6 BW exercises (push-ups, side-straddle-hops, burpees, crunches, etc…) and do 10 reps per exercise then move to the next exercise with no rest. [/quote]

I do something similar (10 reps of 10 calisthenics with no rest under 5 minutes) at judo practice.

Shit is deceptively hard. I can’t even imagine how difficult it’ll be if I manage to do it with some actual ROM on the buddy squats and the clapping push-ups.[/quote]

Lol, it’s certainly not fun. It’s used as a form of punishment in boot camp…

[quote]OGrady wrote:

[quote]PainRain wrote:
My first thought was that you simple need to get stronger. You talking about 225 lb dead-lifts maxes makes me assume that you are probably still very weak. I’m no endurance monster but a 75lb dead-lift would be nothing but a joke, 20 reps or not.
I don’t think you mentioned your height but 155lbs is pretty small. You would likely benefit from allowing yourself to gain some muscle to get stronger. Increase your strength, eat some food, walk your dog several times a weak for several months and try again.

I wouldn’t blame 5/3/1 for not meeting you goals even though I think its a pretty slow building program, I think its your execution and mindset. Good luck![/quote]

Ouch on the mindset comment. Not sure that’s quite a fair remark, as I didn’t A) blame 5/3/1 for anything, and in fact asked how I can continue to use it, and B) exhibit anything other than an intense desire to gain knowledge about how to continue to get stronger and achieve my goals.

You’re right though, I am still pretty small, and pretty weak. I need to get stronger, and continue to eat and lift. Alas, I’m fairly new to strength training.

However, seeing as how I need to hit an 18min 5k, and train for 3-10 mile hikes with a heavy load, I think maybe I’ll need slightly more vigorous conditioning than walking my dog. I hope that was a genuine suggestion for easy cardio, and not a cheap joke at a beginner’s expense.

The walking the dog was a serious suggestion. A brisk walk is very effective. Add a weighted vest and take it to the next level. The 18min 5k is bullshit and will prove to be very difficult to combine with other activities unless you are a natural built runner. You are probably going to have to do a lot of running to hit those times. The hike should be be pretty easy. Simply getting stronger should take care of the rest and I bet 5/3/1 could do that for you.