Getting Slower?

So I am still fairly new to lifting since I have only been lifting for about a year and a half now. I am still trying to figure out how to properly program for myself to try and become a all around good athlete. Currently I have been doing power lifting mixed with sprinting so my week would look like this:

Monday: Incline bench- 205 5X5
Trap bar deadlifts- 315 5x5

Tuesday Morning: Sprints 40 yardsX10

Tuesday Afternoon: Squats 225 5X5
Push Press 135 5x5

Wednesday Morning: Squadron PT = Random work out

Thursday Morning: Sprints 40 yardsX10

Thursday Afternoon: Flat bench- 225 5X5
Trap bar deadlifts- 315 5x5

Friday: Squats 225 5X5
Push Press 135 5x5

Saturday: Shoulders/Sprints 40 yardsX10

Sunday: Rest

Now I am seeing gains for myself strength wise since most of those numbers I did not start out at. My issue is I have gotten slower on my 40 time since I added in the sprints about 3 weeks ago. When I started I ran a 5.82 average, but this past Saturday I ran a 9.82 for the same distance. I am unsure if I am just over training or I just have a totally messed up program. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Well I haven’t been lifting as long as you but I suffered a similar issue to you when I first incorporated some sprint in my training to help with basketball.

For the first 2 weeks or so I ran slower than I had previously simply because my body was not used to running while lifting, after this point however I was able to run slightly faster than before.

My recommendation would be to keep at it for another few weeks , if no improvement is seen then you may be overtraining or under resting.

that makes no sense. You’re saying you lost 4 entire seconds on your 40 time, in 3 weeks? No, man. Unless you sustained an injury, this didn’t happen.

How is your 40 being timed? by a dude with a stop watch, or lasers?

9.82 on the 40 is SLOW. Like, really, really, really slow. Every healthy adult male should be able to perform better than that, by several seconds. Run it again, and see what time you get. I simply can’t believe you’re that slow, and if you are, it has nothing to do with your training. It means you need to see a doctor.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
that makes no sense. You’re saying you lost 4 entire seconds on your 40 time, in 3 weeks? No, man. Unless you sustained an injury, this didn’t happen.

How is your 40 being timed? by a dude with a stop watch, or lasers?

9.82 on the 40 is SLOW. Like, really, really, really slow. Every healthy adult male should be able to perform better than that, by several seconds. Run it again, and see what time you get. I simply can’t believe you’re that slow, and if you are, it has nothing to do with your training. It means you need to see a doctor.[/quote]

This^ Unless you posted a typo and meant 6.82 that could be a little more believable. I would make sure you have someone or somthing that is accurate timing you. Even a 1 second drop would be pretty rough unless you are sore or not give yourself recovery time from lifting.

No typo my worst that day was the 9.82 while my best was an 8.88. my times were being timed by a stop watch on a phone, so there is some give for a bit higher time or lower but the number is still ridiculously high either way.

I do have a knee issue that flares up from time to time but I didn’t have it that day, I felt more like my quads were just super tight and were not firing the way they normally would. I know I get most of the explosiveness when sprinting from my hamstrings but maybe that is what affected it?

I am currently in the middle of a deload week so I might try just a few more sprints this sat to see where I am at and if I had just not recovered enough from my week of workouts.

I don’t think you fully understand, lol. Time yourself doing it. 10 seconds on the 40 is basically jogging fast. Explosiveness shouldn’t even really factor in. Nobody should run that slow. You’re not obese are you? I’m still betting your stop watch guy just sucks.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I don’t think you fully understand, lol. Time yourself doing it. 10 seconds on the 40 is basically jogging fast. Explosiveness shouldn’t even really factor in. Nobody should run that slow. You’re not obese are you? I’m still betting your stop watch guy just sucks.[/quote]

No I am not obese lol I am a little big for my size currently (5’8 215 pounds) but that is partly why I added the sprint to my routine. I am going to go to the local high school this weekend and use their field, I was using one here on the base and it does not have the 40 yards measured out already. So maybe I just miscounted my steps when walking out my distance.

I’m not expert of combining lifting and sprinting, I have done short period of both at the same time. My knowledge about the subject is based mostly on Wendlers books(and he has plenty of experience from both).

You’re doing sprinting 3 times/week and high rep squat and deadlift work at the same time. These are all highly taxing exercises. Doing heavy lower body lifting and sprinting so aggressively at the same time may force you to compromise from both areas if you don’t plan your split intelligently (which you haven’t IMO).

Its no surprise you cannot sprint hard after doing sprinting and high rep lifting many times a week. Periodise.

You walked it out? And yet you’re timing it to the nearest hundredth of a second? For fuck’s sake, man. What a worthless thread this has turned out to be. You will not be wasting any more of my time. I’m out.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
You walked it out? And yet you’re timing it to the nearest hundredth of a second? For fuck’s sake, man. What a worthless thread this has turned out to be. You will not be wasting any more of my time. I’m out.[/quote]

I laughed way more than I should have at this.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
You walked it out? And yet you’re timing it to the nearest hundredth of a second? For fuck’s sake, man. What a worthless thread this has turned out to be. You will not be wasting any more of my time. I’m out.[/quote]

lol I posted this in the beginners section for a reason. I have to do what I have to do to at least come close to what I am trying to achieve during my workout. nothing is going to be exact when it comes to the sprinting but I just posted the times as they were when I ran. thanks for at least trying to address my issue even if all it did was piss you off.

[quote]Rattus wrote:
I’m not expert of combining lifting and sprinting, I have done short period of both at the same time. My knowledge about the subject is based mostly on Wendlers books(and he has plenty of experience from both).

You’re doing sprinting 3 times/week and high rep squat and deadlift work at the same time. These are all highly taxing exercises. Doing heavy lower body lifting and sprinting so aggressively at the same time may force you to compromise from both areas if you don’t plan your split intelligently (which you haven’t IMO).

Its no surprise you cannot sprint hard after doing sprinting and high rep lifting many times a week. Periodise. [/quote]

How would you change the routine then? like I said in the original post I am still fairly new to doing my own program and not just following a pre set up one.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

I think expecting more from a chiefs fan is asking too much.

OP, C’MON MAN find a known distance.

Buy a tape measure at a local hardware/equipment store. Don’t time your sprints all the time only time them on specific days to measure your progress. Get someone to time you on the days that you are testing your sprint times

I would recommend you to read Wendlers writings about the subject and maybe even change to 531 because the program is also designed to be used with heavy conditioning. He’s not only authority about the subject, but somebody worth listen to.

And like everybody said - make sure you have measured sprinting distance and somebody to time you.