T Nation

Getting Sick Like Clockwork

I am a recreational lifter and aspiring powerlifter at 88kg, 21 YEARS OLD (squat:200kg (440lbs) Deadlift:220kg (485lbs) Bench: 160kg (352lbs) not great totals but only started training last year following a debilitating knee injury which put my basketball ambitions to rest.

Anyway, the story goes that every 4 to 6 weeks i get ILL without fail!!! High temperature, fever, coughing up mucus and dizziness, so not ‘man flu’ as some might claim. My diet is around 120grams protein daily/80gram carbs, lots of broccoli and veg. ANY1 KNOW IF DEPLETING FAT FROM UR DIET HAS DETRIMENTAL EFFECTS AS I DO NOT EAT MUCH FAT. (i do snack on peanuts and sunflower seeds though. Fruit juice and i also take l arginine supplement and a regular whey protein powder when i can afford it, RECENTLY BOUGHT A VITAMIN C 1000MG SUPPLEMENT AND IT DOESNT SEEM TO WORK?

ANY IDEAS? I AM REALLY SICK OF GETTING ILL ALL THE TIME AND IT IS KILLING MY PROGESSS SO BADLY! ANYONE WITH ANY EXPERIENCE ON ALTERATIONS I CAN MAKE TO MY DIET WOULD BE A GREAT HELP. MY 4DAY SPLIT IN THE GYM IS AS FOLLOWS:

MONDAY: BENCH PRESS, DECLINE BENCH, DUMBBELL PRESS,
SHOULDER PRESS, MILITARY PRESS, WEIGHTED TRICEP DIPS,
SPEED PULLS WITH UP TO 100KG…

WEDNESDAY: SQUATS/ LUNGES/ PULLUPS/ BARBELL ROWS/ T BAR ROWS/ KROC ROWS/ CABLE PULL THROUGHS

FRIDAY: LENGTHY WARM UP, ROMANIAN DEADLIFTS FOLLOWED BY DEADLIFTS

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME. THANKS ALOT

Add a dreaded mult-vitamin and some additional mineral support and see what happens.

Google vitamin and minerals with immune system. Good stuff.

Biotest sells minerals, I prefer liquid vitamins personally.

Your caps lock key is broken. Dickhead

120g protein

80g carbs

That equals 800 calories.

Plus the small amount fat and vegetables and fruit juice. Youre barely over 1000 calories per day.

So not only are you a dickhead for posting the way you do. But youre also a complete idiot with not the slightest clue as to how a man should eat.

vitamin D. 10,000 iu’s first day taken with a source of fat. 3,000 iu’s daily after that taken with a source of fat. (omega 3’s perhaps)

Eat fat. Its good for you. Additionally most vitamins are fat soluble.

High dosing of Vit D took me from being chronically sick, to not being sick for the last 2 years.

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:
vitamin D. 10,000 iu’s first day taken with a source of fat. 3,000 iu’s daily after that taken with a source of fat. (omega 3’s perhaps)

Eat fat. Its good for you. Additionally most vitamins are fat soluble.

High dosing of Vit D took me from being chronically sick, to not being sick for the last 2 years.[/quote]

So you and the other clown that posted in this thread think the issue is a vitamin deficiency and not that fact that he eats less than a 150lb woman should eat? Really? A vitamin deficiency? Really?

no. I agreed with your post i just didn’t feel the need to repeat you.

Sorry if i offended you, I’ve read a ton of your posts an highly respect your opinion.

Severe calorie deficit + hard training = overtraining = weakened immune system. Sounds to me like you’ll need to tone down your training if you’re not willing to eat more. OR, you can eat more and keep training as you are.

This is really a no brainer OP, eat more food.

cheers. didnt post for abuse but its always welcome, ill shoot up the calories then. cheers

the low carbs account for trying to get leaner, 120g protein usually when i dont have a shake (45g protein) so i could easily get up to around 200g protein per day…

[quote]TheAthleticOne wrote:
the low carbs account for trying to get leaner, 120g protein usually when i dont have a shake (45g protein) so i could easily get up to around 200g protein per day…[/quote]

Low carb does not equal fat loss. A calorie deficit equals fat loss, and too big of a calorie deficit equals numerous negative effects.

thanks, im gonna up the calories for sure

.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:
vitamin D. 10,000 iu’s first day taken with a source of fat. 3,000 iu’s daily after that taken with a source of fat. (omega 3’s perhaps)

Eat fat. Its good for you. Additionally most vitamins are fat soluble.

High dosing of Vit D took me from being chronically sick, to not being sick for the last 2 years.[/quote]

So you and the other clown that posted in this thread think the issue is a vitamin deficiency and not that fact that he eats less than a 150lb woman should eat? Really? A vitamin deficiency? Really? [/quote]
Nutritional deficiency in general, definitely believe his vitamin and mineral intake is super low.

Are you suggesting vitamin and mineral deficiencies don’t lead to compromised immune systems?

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:
no. I agreed with your post i just didn’t feel the need to repeat you.

Sorry if i offended you, I’ve read a ton of your posts an highly respect your opinion. [/quote]

I wasnt offended. I was in a jumpy mood this morning. I shouldnt haven even quoted your reply. excuse that please

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:
vitamin D. 10,000 iu’s first day taken with a source of fat. 3,000 iu’s daily after that taken with a source of fat. (omega 3’s perhaps)

Eat fat. Its good for you. Additionally most vitamins are fat soluble.

High dosing of Vit D took me from being chronically sick, to not being sick for the last 2 years.[/quote]

So you and the other clown that posted in this thread think the issue is a vitamin deficiency and not that fact that he eats less than a 150lb woman should eat? Really? A vitamin deficiency? Really? [/quote]
Nutritional deficiency in general, definitely believe his vitamin and mineral intake is super low.

Are you suggesting vitamin and mineral deficiencies don’t lead to compromised immune systems?[/quote]

Plenty of people do not supplement with vitamin d and dont get sick every 2 months.

Im not suggesting anything. You post a fuck ton of bullshit. On a regular basis. I dont even bother giving second thought to half your posts because it almost sounds like youre trolling half the time.

It’s glaringly obvious that the problem here is a 1000 calorie diet. If he has a vit d deficiency, fine. That’s still not going to add the 1000-1500 extra calories he probably needs

Ok fine, vitamin and mineral deficiencies do not have a detrimental effect on the immune system. There, you “win”.

Also, all of GAL is bullshit. It is not “serious business” like the training and nutrition side of a lifting site.

Of course eating more would be helpful in his case. So would consuming a greater amount of vitamins and minerals, which can be done by eating more, through supplementation or both. Don’t be a silly cry baby, nobody is challenging your opinion.

And I never said to up vitamin d specifically, you’re mixing up your posts.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
And I never said to up vitamin d specifically, you’re mixing up your posts.[/quote]

Plenty of people dont take a multi vit/mineral supp and dont get sick often.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Ok fine, vitamin and mineral deficiencies do not have a detrimental effect on the immune system. There, you “win”.

Also, all of GAL is bullshit. It is not “serious business” like the training and nutrition side of a lifting site.

Of course eating more would be helpful in his case. So would consuming a greater amount of vitamins and minerals, which can be done by eating more, through supplementation or both. Don’t be a silly cry baby, nobody is challenging your opinion.[/quote]

OK you believe that eating 1000 calories a day and a multi vitamin is the way to go.

I’ll believe in something that’s not completely retarded.