T Nation

Getting Shredded - Diet Critique?

Hey guys, i am currently in my third week of the Get Shredded Diet, but i have made some changes to it and was hoping to get some feedback. PRE DIET STATS are
167 lbs, guessing 13-15% BF
Bench - 235
Squat - 285
DL - 305

My Current Diet consists of:
creatine upon awakening. wait 30 min.
Optimum Power Breakfast Cereal, with flax, soy, bran, fiber. Skim Milk. Coffee

Lunch is usually a turkey sandwich on whole grain, complete protein enriched bread.

Piece of fruit like a banana half hour before workout.

PWO shake is Protein shake with 5 grams creatine. Protein is enriched with glutamine, leucine, potassium, magnesium, calcium, lipase, lactase, protease. The creatine contains 34g of carbs (sugars).

Dinner is usually a decent sized salad, lots of broccoli, a few egg whites and 8oz lean chicken.

I do not take any supplements except for the creatine, protein, and fish oil in the morning and at night. I will often have coffee or green tea during the day for some energy.

I have been seeing good results even just in these 3 weeks and have not suffered any strength loss at all. I am planing to go another 3-4 weeks then transition back with Get Unshredded.

Just looking for some constructive criticism from those who have time, thanks!

You get bread, fruit, and skim milk on the GSD?

i said i made some changes to the diet. and i dont eat more than 3 pieces of fruit a week. The bread is low carb, protein bread, and they are small, 60 calorie pieces.

[quote]fallingreason wrote:
i said i made some changes to the diet. and i dont eat more than 3 pieces of fruit a week. The bread is low carb, protein bread, and they are small, 60 calorie pieces.[/quote]

You’re not on the GSD. Other than that, it’s fine.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
fallingreason wrote:
i said i made some changes to the diet. and i dont eat more than 3 pieces of fruit a week. The bread is low carb, protein bread, and they are small, 60 calorie pieces.

You’re not on the GSD. Other than that, it’s fine.[/quote]

exactly id also look at that bread and cereal both are likely loaded with Soy isolate not a great choice. Some protein pre w/o would be very wise with or instead of current fruit

Phill

[quote]fallingreason wrote:
i said i made some changes to the diet.[/quote]

So you arent on the GSD.

I am in my 11th week on the GSD. What kind of Creatine are you taking that it has 34g Carbs?

As far as I know (I’m sure someone will coreect me if I’m wrong), but the Micronized Creatine from Biotest doesn’t have Carbs in it. So not only are you getting carbs from milk & bread, you get a $hitload from Creatine.

I understand you made changes, but like everyone else said, you are NOT on the GSD. On the GSD, you only get your carbs from veggies and on you once every 2 weeks refeed day.

While you may be seeing results, think of what kind of results you would get if you ACTUALLY FOLLOWED the GSD.

Another question would be WHY did you make changes to the diet?

Have you even tried it as it is yet to see if it works without changes?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

You’re not on the GSD. Other than that, it’s fine.[/quote]

Bingo.

Amuses the hell outta me when people take an article, change it completely then claim to be doing the GS, or doing ABBH or whatever.

To the OP,
Your diet actually looks pretty good. If you can handle carbs and still get lean then it’s probably fine to continue as you are. If you struggle to really lean out think about changing out some of the carb sources you’ve got in there.

Some tweaks I would make:

1. Get rid of that sugar loaded creatine. Just get some basic creatine from Biotest or wherever without the “delivery system” and add whatever carbs you want to it, that way you can tweak it to match your goals.

2. Get a decent serving of protein in your breakfast.

3. What Phill said.