Getting Set Up for Floor Presses?

I have been doing one arm DB floor presses for a month or so and like the movement (with current pec tie-in/shoulder issue). I want to switch to using a barbell and am looking for suggestions on how to get under the bar. Currently, I am using stacked plates to get the weight off the ground and me underneath it, but it seems less than sturdy. The power rack’s lowest setting is too high. Any other suggestions?

You could do a pull-over press. They did it like that in the olden days. Or have a buddy lift it and hand it to you. If you are really ambitious you could go ahead and make some blocks to set it on out of 2x6’s, instead of using plates.

ask someone to deadlift it over you?

I had the same problem, so I actually stacked like 4 sets of 3 45lb plates to create a platform to lie down on. This raised me high enough.

Put the bar on the end of a flat bench, get someone to lift it over and spot.

I usually just try and wiggle underneath the bar…

Use the power rack.

Put the J-hooks (thing thingy where the bar rests normally) very low so that when you are lying down they will be around 6 inches from the lockout.

Lie down in the middle of the power rack. From there you can perform the floor press just like a regular bench press.

Use two flat benches as uprights, with the sleeves of the barbell resting on the benches, so the weights are inside of the benches. Some gym owners get pissed when you put heavy shit on the benches because it fucks up the padding, so beware.

The only downside is you have to deadlift it back onto the benches every time you change weights.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Use the power rack.

Put the J-hooks (thing thingy where the bar rests normally) very low so that when you are lying down they will be around 6 inches from the lockout.

Lie down in the middle of the power rack. From there you can perform the floor press just like a regular bench press.

[/quote]

Thats the best way, but I was assuming he had no power rack