T Nation

Getting Serious About Training

Hey guys, I’ve been lurking around T-Nation for several months now. For the past 2 years I’ve really been wanting to get serious about my fitness. In high school I weighed 215 at about 6’ and around 27% body fat. I got a manual labor job and lost 30 lbs. That was 3 years ago. My freshman year of college I got into a great groove, was working out every other day for 4 months, I was eating right, etc. etc. Then I sprained my ankle and was in crutches for 2 months.

I’ve worked out on and off since then, but because of my crazy work schedule I’ve never really gotten into much of a routine.

I tried a personal trainer for the third time a couple weeks ago and I just about wanted to kill myself.

I don’t want to do any stupid resistance band workouts that have “Cobra” in the name, and I don’t want to work on a bosu ball.

I want to get fucking jacked, and I want to look good too. I’m tired of trying so hard to impress girls. I’m tired of my friends hollering at me when I take off my shirt.

I weigh 185, I have about 18% body fat. Here are my measurements:

Height: 75" (6’3)
Weight: Fluctuates between 185 and 190.
Neck: 16"
Shoulders: 44.5
Upper Chest: 38
Lower Chest: 36.4
Navel: 38
Largest Waist: 39.25
Hips: 37.5
Upper Arm:
Left - 13
Right - 12 7/8
Lower Leg:
Left - 15 1/4
Right - 15
Upper Leg:
Left - 22.5
Right - 23
Ankle:
Left - 10.5
Right - 10.5

I’ve never been an athlete. I’ve never lifted with any supervision.

I guess what I am asking is… What the fuck do I do?

I’ve been thinking about going on the velocity diet.

I don’t know how to design a solid program for myself because I don’t know where to begin.
I don’t know if I’m doing ANY of my lifts right because I’ve never had someone watch me and tell me what I’m doing wrong.
I live in Southwestern Minneapolis, so if theres anybody in the area who would be willing to help me out as a workout partner and guide and actually knows what the fuck they are doing, that would be awesome.

Any help would be appreciated.

You would look like Bale in the Machinist if you got any skinnier. Lift and eat, read the stickies.
Have a trainer show you how to lift, look at the trainer’s numbers too, what does he bench squat and deadlift. If they have you doing some crappy program next trainer. If all the trainers’ programs are shit look at Ripptoe’s Starting Strength or Westside for Skinny Bastards by DeFranco.

Learn to use the search function this will be your life line, you can type in almost anything that you might have trouble with and something will come up.

Godspeed and Party On.

To piggie back on riverhawk, there are tons of articles on here. Read them. They’re free and written by some of the best in the biz.

When I first started lifting seriously I was a skinny son of a bitch. I weighed 140 soaking wet at 5’8". I started reading on here and just browsing for hours on end through the archives. There’s some contradictory information throughout them, some coaches have different views, but that’s fine.

I’m going to give you a little bit of advice though, as far as the impressing girls thing. Stop trying. Work on improving yourself physically and mentally and the girls will be impressed without any effort from you to impress them.

Don’t lift for girls, lift for you. You’re your biggest critic and your own worst enemy. Use it … also, if you haven’t read it yet, read the essay by Henry Rollins. It should be a mandatory for all noobs. Have fun with this stuff brutha, and good luck

Read the stickies at the top of this forum. They have links to training articles and nutrition articles as well.

I’m glad you want to get jacked. But you have to realize that in order to do that, this has to be a LIFESTYLE, not a 4 month or 6 month or even year long commitment. It took the majority of people who gained lots of muscles (40+ lbs) more than a couple years to do it.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. You have to prioritize this over getting piss drunk, over parties, over other obligations. That doesn’t mean you never go out, or never go to parties, or that you can’t stay up late eating pizza and watching movies with your buds from time to time. What it DOES mean though, is that you need prioritize eating right and training over the party lifestyle as a whole, AND that all the excuses need to fall by the way side.

You stay up late watching movies and drinking beer/eating pizza? Go out and party all weekend? Then don’t be surprised when your workouts for the next couple days suck ass. Don’t be surprised when you get fat, or have no energy, or get depressed. This is a commitment. Others have done it while still keeping a social life and full time school or job, I’ve done it too. But the bottom line is you have to be willing to make sacrifices to make this physique change over the next few years. There’s no way around it.

As far as the women go, I’m going to give you some advice too–stop trying. Be yourself. You try too hard and you are a) not yourself b) not cool and c) often come off as a douchebag and fake. Girls see through this.

As far as training goes–pick a program and stick with it. Beginners and intermediates often make the same mistake–they try a program for a couple weeks, decide to try the next newest thing for a couple of weeks, then decide to change programs AGAIN for the next couple weeks----and never make progress. Or they tweak a program from the way it’s written for no reason at all, destroy the program’s layout, and don’t make progress.

Pick a program, stick with it for 6 weeks, or however long the program calls for, then change.

Read the stickies and see which programs you like, then post one up.