T Nation

Getting Serious about Diet

Looking for some input on my proposed sample meal plan below. Background is I’m about 5’10 175-180lbs probably about 15% bf. Have always eaten very healthy but never paid attention to hitting macros or counting cals. In terms of lifting experience, I’ve been around the block, currently using my own version of Eric Cressey’s Show N Go program trying to fix some postural issues and continue to get stronger.

In regards to diet I was curious to see how my new plan would add up in terms of total macros. I’m looking to ideally shed a few lbs of fat and keep getting stronger. What do you all think about the sample meal plan below and the overall numbers? Thanks!

Daily Totals: 2300cals, 87g fat, 180g carbs, 160g protein

Morning Smoothie - TOTALS: 218cals, 1g fat, 36g carbs, 16g protein
1 banana
1/3 cup blueberries
1/2 scoop ON Whey
1 scoop greens superfood
1 cup water + ice

PWO - TOTALS: 130cals, 1g fat, 2g carbs, 27g protein
1 scoop NOW whey protein isolate

Breakfast - TOTALS: 450cals , 21g fat, 50g carbs, 23g protein
2 hard boiled eggs
Chia Seeds

Lunch - TOTALS: 620cals, 30g fat, 23g carbs, 37g protein
Romain/Arugala mix
Red Peppers
Grilled Chicken
Slivered Almonds
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar

Mid-Afternoon Snack - TOTALS: 200cals, 15g fat, 16g carbs, 6g protein
chocolate + sea salt kind bar

Dinner - TOTALS: 656cals, 21g fat, 52 carbs, 51g protein
6oz Salmon cooked
green beans
1 cup brown rice

Are you able to consistently do this every day?

There will be some natural variation day to day like changing up the dinner protein & veggie. Other than that, I should be able to do this consistently during the week. The weekends will probably be a little different.

You can try it and find out. How do you handle carbs?

I would personally do 65f/250c/180p

I’m actually a type 1 diabetic and manage carbs with an insulin pump very closely. I can handle low glycemic index carbs very well, things get a lot more complicated with high glycemic/high fat meals. Some days will probably be lower in fats but I’m not sure I want to have the carbs much higher than 200g /day.

Then if you can be consistent with it, it’s fine. Just track your progress and adjust as necessary for your goals - small changes are superior to overhauls

I’ve been following this plan fairly closely over the past week and so far so good. I find that I need another mid-afternoon snack since my dinners are kind of late so I’ve been adding some trail mix (raisins, nuts, dried fruit, coconut, etc) as an energy booster in the afternoons.

So far so good!

Keep us updated on your progress!

Seems like you got a solid plan there man. But let us know of your progress as you progress man! I wanna know how it turns out. Good luck !