Getting Rid of the Burden of Six Meals a Day

That’s interesting you guys are able to make the switch. I eat 8 meals/day right now and strangely whenever I try to eat less I get the worst acid reflux or something of that nature. I get a burning sensation that starts in my chest and comes up my throat and it continues until I have something to eat. Will literally happen every 2 hours regardless of the previous meals size.

That because you have aids waylander.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
That’s interesting you guys are able to make the switch. I eat 8 meals/day right now and strangely whenever I try to eat less I get the worst acid reflux or something of that nature. I get a burning sensation that starts in my chest and comes up my throat and it continues until I have something to eat. Will literally happen every 2 hours regardless of the previous meals size.[/quote]

I don’t think that’s normal…

[quote]therajraj wrote:

That’s interesting you guys are able to make the switch. I eat 8 meals/day right now and strangely whenever I try to eat less I get the worst acid reflux or something of that nature. I get a burning sensation that starts in my chest and comes up my throat and it continues until I have something to eat. Will literally happen every 2 hours regardless of the previous meals size.[/quote]

I don’t think that’s normal… [/quote]

Sounds like someone needs an apple cleanse!

I’m not surprised at all, as you can pretty much train the body to have feelings of hunger on a specific basis and food intolerances.

Look at what happened to Date Tate initially when he switched from eating a Super Size Me diet to eating clean. Most would expect to have him say something like, “Oh man, thanks to JB, my digestion is so much better and I have so much more energy!” Instead the guy once vomited with such force from his new pristine diet that one of his traps cramped.

I don’t think infrequent eating is conducive to ultra-calorie intakes (>6000) unless the person relies on extremely calorically dense foods and shakes (drunk with meals to accomodate infrequent feeding) a la Michael Phelps (~3333 calories per sitting). That’s what I’d do if I had to take in that much. I don’t think I’m ever going back to frequent eating.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

You may have a hiatal hernia (many do, including myself), or a weak cardiac sphincter that causes the GERD. Simple solution is- continue eating frequently. I have the same issues, so I’m with you eating 6-7 meals a day.
[/quote]

Good post. Wasn’t thinking along those lines, but more in line with what huge eating lifters experience. Frequent eating helps with digestive balance.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

You may have a hiatal hernia (many do, including myself), or a weak cardiac sphincter that causes the GERD. Simple solution is- continue eating frequently. I have the same issues, so I’m with you eating 6-7 meals a day.
[/quote]

Sounds spot on, I used to get acid reflux and what felt like a need to vomit when I used to eat 3 meals/day if I ever had too large of a meal.

This has never come up again since I switched to more frequent eating. Not bashing IF’ing just saying it won’t work for everyone.

Yeah i swtiched to eating twice a day about 2 months ago, one big meal couple hours before i lift then a big one after. I’ll have a snack before i lift if i don’t think i’ll hit my calorie goal (~3200) in those two meals.

Ive been gaining weight consistently, sometimes it’s hard to stomach a pound of meat with a carb source in one sitting though. I’ll probably have to bump to 3 meals when i hit 200lbs.

I think I settle in around 4 or so times a day. Because that’s when I get hungry.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[/quote]

Ok good to know, thanks man. I admit I was getting a little worried about it, haha.

I love IFing. The first time I leaned out I used the traditional method of 6 small meals a day because that’s what everyone was doing. While it worked to lose weight, I could never maintain because eventually my desire to overeat would outweigh my will power.

It took me a couple of months to switch over. After the first week or two I was past the hunger pains, and my body was adopted to eating less frequently, however it took me about 2-3 months to get fully adjusted to my metabolism, and how much I could eat, and the timing, etc.

Now that I’ve got it all under control I love it. I just got back from dinner and had a 20 Oz T-Bone, baked potato, and veggies. And that’s a typical dinner.

[quote]Mascherano wrote:
Also used to do 6 meals a day and now I just eat one large meal at night - been on the Warrior Diet since June.

I love it! I never realized what a burden preparing/carrying/eating all those meals and snacks were until I stopped doing it. I feel great, my training hasn’t suffered at all (in fact i think its improved) and now I devote more time and energy to doing other things aside from eating or worse, thinking about eating, or even worse, recovering from eating and then being hungry again.

I also save money b/c i don’t need to take any supps/whey protein except for Glutamine.

I will say, however, that this lifestyle is more conducive to leaning out or maintaining. I think it would be very difficult to eat like this on a bulk…unless you can really REALLY eat big! lol.

And lets face it, nothing is more gratifying than taking a monster shit in the morning…not that girls do that or anything…cough[/quote]

You mean all these years believing that girls poop out rainbows, butterfly’s and puppies was wrong?

Nah bro they poop out kittens and sunshine. CMON BRO.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Who here has changed from eating six meals per day to three?

I now consume about 2,700 to 3,000 calories per day over three meals in addition to fasting twice per week for 24 hours.

And I’m having a blast and a load of pressure is off me!

Who here has gone back to big eat only a few times per day?

How do you feel? [/quote]

By the way do you supplement with BCAA?

i changed to IFing about a year ago .for me it rocks i was so fed up with that 5/6 meals a day . now i do 16 hour fast - 8 hour feeding with 3 meals a day and im no longer hungry all the time .
i get a feelin of hunger around the 12 hour mark but it goes away in about 20 mins .
bulkin phases are hard but droppin fat is a doddle with this way of eating.
i personally supplement with BCAA before training which i do fasted .
im no big guy (175)but all my lifts continue to rise at the same rate as when i was doin the 5/6 meals a day .

I must be blessed, I seem to be the only one in the world who enjoys eating 6 meals a day. Then again I can eat the same thing every day and not get tired of it… I think I’ve bought the same unflavored 2.5lb pork tenderloin once a week for about 15 weeks straight now.

Well it’s definitely harder to bulk on this then I thought. Pounded 3600 calories for dinner last night and was ridiculously full. It was glorious. This should reduce my food bill significantly since I’ll be able to buy in bulk easier knowing that I will eat 1.5-2 lbs of beef or meat for dinner. I know most everyone else seems to be using it for cutting so I’ll be running a bit of a trial on myself for this and keep details in my log for those who are interested.

Link to log with outline of bulking plan I will be doing:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/lm_training_log

Yea - I thimk it’s pretty clear that all that frequent eating and “stoking” the metabolism is bro-science BS.

It seems like it doesn’t make much of a difference when or how much you eat in a given day as long as you hit your total cals and macros overall.

I don’t think that it’s a problem if you do like to eat more frequent, smaller meals. I just don’t think there’s as much benefit for smaller meals as peviously believed. If you like eating that way it’s fine - you just don’t have to be a slave to it.

Personally, I tend to eat about every 4 - 5 hours. But if there are days when I go longer I know it’s not some kind of metabolism wrecker…lol… : )

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Yea - I thimk it’s pretty clear that all that frequent eating and “stoking” the metabolism is bro-science BS.

It seems like it doesn’t make much of a difference when or how much you eat in a given day as long as you hit your total cals and macros overall.

I don’t think that it’s a problem if you do like to eat more frequent, smaller meals. I just don’t think there’s as much benefit for smaller meals as peviously believed. If you like eating that way it’s fine - you just don’t have to be a slave to it.

Personally, I tend to eat about every 4 - 5 hours. But if there are days when I go longer I know it’s not some kind of metabolism wrecker…lol… : ) [/quote]

I agree with what your saying, I also believe it varies on the individual – an endomorph can actually benefit by eating less frequently. I believe if you have a naturally fast metabolism- ie ectomorph- you have the greatest benefit of frequently getting carbs and protein every couple hours.

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
I agree with what your saying, I also believe it varies on the individual – an endomorph can actually benefit by eating less frequently. I believe if you have a naturally fast metabolism- ie ectomorph- you have the greatest benefit of frequently getting carbs and protein every couple hours.[/quote]

Agreed.