Getting Ready for My First Show

Hi, i’m kinda new here, but figured that some of you guys would be able to help me. I am getting ready for my first show next August (i know its a ways off, but i want to win that bitch), the NPC Southern States. I’m 18 now, so i’ll be in the teen class.

Currently i am just shy of 210 at 6’ tall and my abs show through a little (not sure % BF). Anyway, i would like to compete at about 210-215 and was hoping you guys would be able to give me some advice on how to get to this goal, meaning should i do the traditional bulk and then cut, or should i try to make the gains while staying lean? Sorry i dont have any good refernce pics, but i’ll try to get one up soon. Any help you could give me would be great, thanks.

In my experience, it’s a lot easier to cut then to gain substantial muscle mass. I’d bulk for a good while and then do a good cut.

-daMOJO-

yeah, i was thinking i should just eat like its a job and concentrate on the big three (bench, squat, deadlift) and make sure i hit the peripherals as needed. i was a thinking that if i got to like 230-240 i could diet to my desires competition weight. the only problem with that is that im in miami right now, so its perpetual beach season (a hell of a reason to stay lean).

Check out Dr. Berardi’s Massive Eating articles. The rules he sets up are a great way to eat to gain muscle without gaining much fat. Remember that it’s a lot easier to lose the extra fat without losing muscle if there isn’t much extra fat to lose.

I’ve heard guidelines of staying within 3-5% of your contest bodyfat levels in the off season, though I don’t compete or anything, so I don’t know how realistic that is.

-Dan

sorry, gotta bump it, i need more replies (think like the amount in one of the theology discussions, lol).

[quote]tjd772 wrote:
sorry, gotta bump it, i need more replies (think like the amount in one of the theology discussions, lol).[/quote]

You’re not going to get much more than what was said. You’ll need to read John Berardi’s articles. Everything you need to know is there. You should be able to improve while staying relatively lean.