T Nation

Getting Ready for FB After Months In a Cast

My foot for 4 months was in a cast so iv got out of shape. At the gym this is what i do

elliptical machine for 21 minutes.
bench: 10x4 reps of 190 the **** is hard
abs: 30x3
shrugs: 10x4 of 60 pounds
curls: 30 (15 each arm)xx with 30 pounds
leg press: 10x4 of 270
back of the bicep machine worker thing lol: 30x4 of 120
and another back machine thing: 14x4 of 70

The the next day Ill do all swimming or sprints. so monday: weights, tuse: cardio, weds: weights, thurs: cardio, fri weights, sat: free day, sunday: cardio. I just dont like running right now beacause it hurts my knees, thats why im trying to get rid of some of the weight. Sprints are ok, but running miles on hard ground hurts.

I’m 6’2 297
me:

Get your diet in check and start a program like cresseys maximum strength or defranco’s westside template…add in some interval training for conditioning.

learn to squat, don’t jog, do more rows and chinups, do some jumping.

but mostly get your diet in check (something balanced), your activity level will be high enough that you’ll lose fat if you stick to mostly meat, vegetables, and fruit, with some starch here and there.

What position do you play?

That will make a difference in how you should approach your training/diet.

You don’t have much time (aren’t teams practicing now- conditioning/2 a days???)

I play D and O line.

I think they are, last I checked they were not, but I gotta check again. Im transferring so im not exactly in the school yet.

Your strength numbers are very low for your size.

You need to get stronger. That might be hard to do if you start football conditioning. I don’t know your situation but it sounds like you are not ready. You should think about taking a year off and do nothing but lift weights and get strong. gi2eg gave you good advice(above).

How old are you?

[quote]JoeC5267 wrote:
How old are you?[/quote]

Im 17, and im in the 12th grade. So i cant take a year off, its my last one. I was at the gym today. Benched 210 no prob. Then I squatted 360 no prob. I guess I was just not pushing myself.

If I were you I would cut out all the cardio you have and do sprints instead. Since you are a lineman, focus on sprints less than 40 yards, mainly in the 10 yard region. I would completely change your weightlifting routine as well. I play inside backer for a 1AA program and our program is somethin like this:

Monday:
Hang Clean 6x3
Front Squat 5x5
Lateral Shoulder Raises 5x10
Rotator Cuffs 4x10
Abs
10 40 yard sprints and Plyometrics

Tuesday:
Hang Snatch 4x2
Bench 5x5
Bent Over Row 5x8
Incline Dumbell Bench 3x8
Chin Ups 3x AMP
Abs
16 110 yard sprints

Wenesday Off

Thursday
Back Squat 5x5
Barbell Lunges 5x8
Glute Ham Raises 4x10
Romanian Deadlift 4x8
Abs
10 Shuttle Drills and assorted agility drills

Friday
Military Press 5x5
Close Grip Bench 4x8
Barbell Curls 4x12
Decline Skull Crushers 4x8
Dumbell Curls 4x10
Abs

If you’re planning on playing this year, you need to contact your new coach and get the ball rolling. You don’t want to get too far behind.

In the meantime you should do pre-season football conditioning drills everyday(5-6days/week) in addition to your strength training.

You can find lineman pre-season conditioning drills online or at the library.

For the lifting I would keep it real simple - your new coach will probably put you on a new workout anyway- so no need to overthink it.

something like this:

mon- squat, bench, rows
wed- cleans, pushpress, pulldowns
fri-deadlift, farmers walks, abs

And of course–> Eat lots of food.

good luck.

Stop swimming. For conditioning run sprints up a big hill. Start with 4 or 5 and add 1 every day.

Strength-wise you are not going to make significant progress in the next month, so just keep lifting as you were.

Thanks for the help guys. Would you recommend any pills/supplements to help me get stronger faster? Im not trying to replace pills with eating right, but I would like to add to it.

I wish I had Spike when I played. It would have made those 6am practices much easier to handle.

A suggestion: since you are the new guy, make sure you are the first one on the practice field and the last one off, every day. Bust your ass in EVERY drill. Don’t take a single rep off. Take notes during your chalk talk sessions. Study them at night. Make time to get your lifts in during camp and in-season. Also, take steps to make sure the coaches notices your extra effort. Don’t be a brown-noser, just be visible (sit up front for meetings and film, etc.)

You need to face the fact right now that physically you are pretty much as good as you’re going to get. You can improve your conditioning, but you’re already behind. You need to master the mental side as much as possible to make an impact.

Good luck.

[quote]xCerealKillerx wrote:
JoeC5267 wrote:
How old are you?

Im 17, and im in the 12th grade. So i cant take a year off, its my last one. I was at the gym today. Benched 210 no prob. Then I squatted 360 no prob. I guess I was just not pushing myself.[/quote]

That is often the case. Keep pushing yourself, with your size you should be a force.

[quote]xCerealKillerx wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. Would you recommend any pills/supplements to help me get stronger faster? Im not trying to replace pills with eating right, but I would like to add to it.[/quote]

At your age (and size) you don’t need help in the supplement department. Lots of protein and healthy fats (olive oil, fish oil etc.). If you feel you “need” something try creatine.

Edit: Since you are trying to shed some fat limit carbs.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
xCerealKillerx wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. Would you recommend any pills/supplements to help me get stronger faster? Im not trying to replace pills with eating right, but I would like to add to it.

At your age (and size) you don’t need help in the supplement department. Lots of protein and healthy fats (olive oil, fish oil etc.). If you feel you “need” something try creatine.

Edit: Since you are trying to shed some fat limit carbs. [/quote]

Awesome advice, the only thing I might add is a multi-vitamin.

thanks guys. Would you suggest any training routines? I was think about doing the one azbulldog posted.