T Nation

Getting Pregnant: Test / HCG / Clomid (Asking for Hubby)

Hi all,
First post here so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.
Asking for hubby because he feels entirely emasculated during this whole process, so I’m trying to research and take some of the burden off. We have been Trying to Conceive for 1.5 years, perfectly timed every month (trust me - I’m doing it all on my end to ensure timing), and no luck whatsoever. He has 2 children from his prior marriage, ages 11 and 8, so we know (at one point) that he was fertile. I have been pregnant in the past as well so we also know that I am capable of conceiving.

Now, here is the problem-
He has been injecting Test, 250 mg every 10 days, for the past 10 years (and taking Anavar). We are both assuming at this point his sperm count is at a grand total of Zero…

So, he agreed to go off the Test.
He was able to get HCG and Clomid from his… sources. Waiting on needles which should be any day now.

So, we have questions -

• What is a recommended dosage of HCG? How frequently? Do you take Clomid concurrently? If so, what dosage of Clomid is recommended?
  • How long do you think it will take to kick start his natural sperm production back into gear?
  • How long should he take HCG and Clomid? 3 months? 6? Indefinitely?
  • Any anectodal / success stories? He is already moody as F*ck being off the Test… it’s been 2 weeks so far. He’s miserable, but he wants another baby. Still doesn’t change the fact that he’s miserable, moody, and doesn’t feel like a man.
  • Any reason that he SHOULD still be taking Test? He was tested many years back, before he was on Test, and his natural Testosterone level was around a 300 - which according to him is fairly low.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INSIGHT. We have watched a few Youtube videos on this exact topic, all of which have entirely conflicting info. Please helpm:tired_face:

You should have him read all the stickies to be found at the top of the T replacement forum. But this is the one that addresses your questions most directly. Good luck to you

HPTA Restart for TRT w/Application to Gear & PCT

It seems he has been using Test a long time. And I am guessing he was not using HCG? If he was he should still be fertile. He very well may not need to go off of testosterone. It may not even be a good idea, as the restart might not do much for a long time user. Some testosterone is needed for fertility. Keeping your testicles in good working order while on testosterone takes about 250mgs of HCG every two days. More is not better.

If the restart can get him over 300 he should be fertile. He needs sperm testing and male infertility tests as well as his basic blood work.

Hopefully someone who knows more on this subject will pipe in. And it sounds like you really need a urologist with a fellowship in andrology

From what you say, he has made a mess of things.

What has happened to the side and firmness of his testes?
How have they been hanging, or is scrotum pulled up tight.
From what you said, I assume that he was not using hCG those 10 years.

He does not need to stop using T, you do need to preserve libido.
Many here on TRT have been making babies, mostly using hCG all of the time as all TRT guys should, but some have used hCG to recover, but that only acts on LH receptors. Some planned to switch from hCG to SERM, but got a pregnancy first.

Did he use anastrozole to manage E2 levels?

250iu hCG SC EOD is a replacement dose for LH hormone. High doses can lead to uncontrollable E2 levels.

Never use a SERM [clomid, nolvadex] at same time as hCG or high doses of either as this overloads the LH receptors and risks desensitization of the receptors.

Get him back on T.
Clomid should cause his pituitary to generate LH and FSH. This is better than hCG as FSH is important for sperm production. He can take 25mg every other day, sometimes that is too much and E2 gets high. Some guys feel like crap with clomid, other fine. If he has used before - you know. Nolvadex never does that.

The testes take time to recover form and function. Observe changes to size, firmness and how they hang.

On Clomid or Nolvadex, do these labs:
E2
LH/FSH

• if LH/FSH are there, it is working, numbers should be 4,5,6 avoid high range
    TT, FT will be high, no need to test
    SHBG will be useful.

In time, if not pregnant, have a semen analysis done.

All of what we know about TRT is in the stickies and applies to him for general health, mood, energy and libido.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

But the result$ could be di$appointing and doses in$anely high.

This is true and it would not be nearly so costly just to find out if he is fertile

Last thing the success rate in restoring your husband’s sperm production is very high and does not take that long.

“Success defined as induction of spermatogenesis with >1–1.5 × 106 ml-1 sperm was reported to occur in 44%–100% of patients treated for 6–144 months.”

Here is the entire paper on the subject

As you can see there is no reason for a fellow in andrology not to know this subject. But I know that most of them are not this cutting edge

If hubby was on T for 10 years and never used hCG or SERMs, the outcomes may be a different data set. Lets wait for OP to respond.

He has had no issues with his testes / size / shape / firmness. They are pretty awesome actually. Lol

Yes, he has never used HCG or any other medicine. Test only for the past 10 years.
So the consensus seems to be to keep him on Test and add in the HCG. And no Clomid.
How long will it take to kickstart his system?? 3-6 months? Does he take the HCG forever and ever until we achieve pregnancy?

ps THANK YOU for your replies!!! Much appreciated!

You probably shoud read https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4854084/

It is 100% on your topic and is rather encouraging. It recommends a treatment regimen that looks a lot like @KSman s other than they also talk about increasing sperm production even more with the addition of FSH

Verne for some reason your link is not working - can you re-send?
Thank you!

I edited it it works now

We do see a few guys who do not get testicular shrinkage.
Would be interesting to see if he has maintained some swimmers as well.

He can stay on T with hCG OR low dose clomid. Clomid would be least cost and could work better than hCG. I suggested dosing earlier.