Getting Out of the Rat Race

Aren’t you going to be getting into a rat race no matter where you live?

Who can escape adult responsibilities if they don’t want to be living in the streets or with their parents if they don’t continue in the rat race (adult daily living)?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Drugs are a good temporary reprieve. You can get blown the hell out and be standing in your own living room not knowing where in the world you are.

Just don’t leave your house wearing clothes and come to naked somewhere else unless you like mystery and intrigue too.
[/quote]

Best Post[/quote]

Thanks! I knew those black-outs would come in handy some day.

cwill1973 wrote:
When I was 21 I moved from PA to WY with no plan. Turned out pretty good for me.

Oh, we can tell…what with all of that info about how it worked plastered all over your post.

You make how much now?

You work where?

You stayed in your car when you first moved?

I make more than 50K less than 100K. I work for the city where I live. Stayed with a family a friend of mine knew from college until I got a job and an apartment. Saw WY while on vaca, liked it, and moved there. When I was 21 all I really needed was beer money.

I’ve been contemplating something like this for a while. I’ve been trying to set something up in New Zealand but it’s just not working out. Frankly it’s difficult to set something decent up with out a network of support established. I abandoned the NZ idea as to great a risk. I do plan on moving soon but I plan to keep it in CONUS for the time being…baby steps for now. It’s a huge risk that could just land you out a couple grand. definitely think it through.

I moved from India (when my parents migrated) to Australia back in 89. They certainly wanted to move but took us some 10 years to really settle, buy our home, be able to blend our culture with Australia etc. I moved to Singapore 9 years ago (2001), again, took me 5 years or more to settle down, buy a home, car etc I got married in the meantime too.

1. Travel to the place you plan to move to and research the work, amenities, location, environment, taxation etc.
  2. Can you afford 3 months to move there and live there and know if you can stay there?

Whatever it is, whatever family situation you’re in, however old you are, don’t rush a move like this.

They grass may seem greener on the other side, but where there’s grass there’s shit, and shit is pretty much the same wherever you go.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Who can escape adult responsibilities if they don’t want to be living in the streets or with their parents if they don’t continue in the rat race (adult daily living)?[/quote]

x2. As long as your expenses exceed income from sources not requiring you to work you’re still a rat in a rat race. Moving to another country won’t solve that. Sure, move to Thailand or other country with lower cost of living, tell me what your quality of life is like after 6 months to 1 year when the locals still don’t speak English as fluent as you, healthcare is below standard and the quality of simple things like food and produce are not the same of where you came from.

Be grateful for what you have.

you don’t wanna get rid of your bullshit. There will be nothing left

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
When I moved to Maine, I had just gotten out of graduate school (Geology/Geophysics) in New Mexico and just turned down what would have been a rat-race, but lucrative career with Exxon, who paid for my thesis.

Knowing I didn’t want to go back to NJ, I got online (this is mid/late 90’s btw) found some phone listings in Maine for Land Surveyors (which is how I had previously paid for college/rent) and found a small company that was hiring.

Drove to NJ, dropped off the wife and dogs at her parents, droove up to Maine and interviewed. Got the job on the spot. Couldn’t find a place to rent right away, so I lived in a tent for 3 weeks (no big deal, I had just spent the past 6 years in a tent in college).

Finally found a place and moved moved the wife and dogs up.

I wouldn’t recommend doing it that way unless you have some marketable skill that will get you income, or you’re not worried about income (ie. trust fund or inheritence baby) and can chew up a year or two wandering.

Now I have 3 kids, and I wouldn’t do it that way again, but I also wouldn’t trade the experience for anything.[/quote]

This is very impressive…kudos bro.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:
Not to get all Dr. Phil on you… but sounds like a geographic fantasy to me.

Moving doesn’t fix problems. Wherever you go, there you are.

just sayin.[/quote]

Agreed. Unless you’re moving for a unique opportunity, what will change?

I bet if you leave the “rat race” you’ll eventually make a thread complaining about being listless, unchallenged annd living without meaning or purpose.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]cwill1973 wrote:
When I was 21 I moved from PA to WY with no plan. Turned out pretty good for me. [/quote]

Oh, we can tell…what with all of that info about how it worked plastered all over your post.

You make how much now?

You work where?

You stayed in your car when you first moved?[/quote]

The guy voluntarily moved to Wyoming. Out of all 50 states, he chose Wyoming. That should tell you a bit about it right there…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

The guy voluntarily moved to Wyoming. Out of all 50 states, he chose Wyoming. That should tell you a bit about it right there…[/quote]

…came a voice, ironically, from new jersey…

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Who can escape adult responsibilities if they don’t want to be living in the streets or with their parents if they don’t continue in the rat race (adult daily living)?[/quote]

I wouldn’t consider adult daily living as rat race, what I would consider rat race is chasing a pay check, especially living pay check to pay check.

I’ve got my money in the bank and if I don’t work for eight months, I’m good.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

x2. As long as your expenses exceed income from sources not requiring you to work you’re still a rat in a rat race. Moving to another country won’t solve that. Sure, move to Thailand or other country with lower cost of living, tell me what your quality of life is like after 6 months to 1 year when the locals still don’t speak English as fluent as you, healthcare is below standard and the quality of simple things like food and produce are not the same of where you came from.

Be grateful for what you have.[/quote]

Went on vacation to BA, and partied up for like 50 bucks for a four day weekend. Crazy cheap.

[quote]Eli B wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

The guy voluntarily moved to Wyoming. Out of all 50 states, he chose Wyoming. That should tell you a bit about it right there…[/quote]

…came a voice, ironically, from new jersey…
[/quote]

…came a doubting voice, even more ironically, from Missouri…the state that sucks so much it makes the corn in Kansas lean east.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

My thoughts exactly. My exit plan for the rat race is a weekly lotto ticket.

Edit - to clarify I consider the rat race having to work for a living.

I always thought of the “rat race” as doing a job you hate so you can make enough money to keep up with the Joneses. I thought “leaving the rat race” meant “taking a job that you like where you make a lower salary than you could make at a job you hate.” I’m surprised to see some equating it with adult responsibilities. Does the OP just want to take a lark for a year or two?

Anyone else see this thread title and think of Robert Kiyosaki and his game CashFlow ?

His definition of Rat Race (my interpretation):
You’re in the rat race when you’re still working for your money to live on. The way to leave the “rat race” is to acquire enough passive income (stuff you don’t work for) that it meets or exceeds your expenditures.
A.k.a. making enough through non-job means that you don’t have to work for a living anymore.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

They grass may seem greener on the other side, but where there’s grass there’s shit, and shit is pretty much the same wherever you go.[/quote]

Gospel

Didn’t I read somewhere that NJ is just one big landfill. Except for a few acres of forest in the middle. If you want mountains, wide open spaces, all the hunting and fishing you can stand, and barely one person per square mile come to WY. Wait, disregard that last sentence.

To me, and this is my ultimate goal, Getting out of the rat race is earning enough money to buy a farmable plot of land, at least 10 acres of good land. Then using modern technology, to subsistance farm. Your structures are ultra energy efficient with solar and geothermal, in 10 years from now these technologies will be good enough to support this type of energy load.

Then I have some beef and milk cows free ranging on my land. I’ll have some ducks and chickens for eggs and meat. I’ll have a large family garden. I’ll sell eggs and milk to people looking for raw milk and local free range eggs and meat. It’s a growing market and you can get much better prices than normal grocery store equivalents.

Anyways, the technology will take those old farming hours of sunup to sundown and cut them down to a couple hours per day regularly with certain days needing more attention, like planting and harvesting days. Maybe 10 acres won’t cut it, maybe I need 20, but in any event, I think one could get a really nice setup for around $500,000. Probably less but until I actually start crunching the numbers thats a safe estimate.

Then at that point your actual cost of living is very low. You’ll need one reliable automobile. A very small grocery budget and then whatever spending and play money you deem necessary. So maybe if you had an additional 100,000 saved to spend slowly, you could live off that for a very long time and you would be bringing in 5-10K in revenues per year off the farm.

V