Getting Old, So I Need to Write Stuff Down

Thanks guys. I can never pay back all the good stuff I’ve gotten in my life. Just a way to show how much I appreciate it.

I sneak in to the commercial gym on the weekends to do accessory stuff.

Leg press, start with 1 plate per side, do 10 reps, and work up to 6 plates.

Front squats 185x6x1, 225x4x3, light good mornings 185x8x3

BW pull ups 4x8, Hammer strengh iso row, 3 plates per side 8x3

Seated BB ohp 135x8x1, 155x8x1 175x4x2, 185x3x2 DB side lateral raise 35x10x3, pec dec rear laterals 155x8x3

Straight BB curls 70x10x1, 80x10x1, 90x10x1, machine preacher curls 110x10x3

1/23/12 Heavy upper body, did reverse band bech tonight, 365x3x1, 385x3x1, 405x2x1, 425x1x1, 435x1x1

db incline press, 100x7x3
seated cable rows 180x8x2

DL warm ups,then pulled 305 for 15 singles, sumo

435 reverse band

try again, 435 reverse band bench

It’s great to see you posting your training. I admire you for donating the kidney. You are a rare breed my friend.

Also… i’m really an asshole when you get to know me:)

I’ll be following along with your training. I don’t know if you have any plans for heading back to brute strength gym for any meets but i’m doing the one in february and then the plan is to referee the april meet for them.

Thanks Meat appreciate it alot!

We all have our moments, but for an a-hole, you sure spend alot of time helping others.

My daughter is currently deployed on the Abe Lincoln. It’s supposed to go into dry dock sometime this spring, in Norfolk. If I don’t get up there this spring, it’s definetly in future plans.

I guess they have what is called a Tiger Cruise, where parents come on board for a few days, might happen when they come around Florida…heading for port. I am way ready for that if it works out.

Nice work Greystroke. You’re putting up some damn good numbers. That bench vid knocked me out. Godspeed to your daughter on the Lincoln. When you get to Norfolk drop me a note, I know a lot of good places to eat.

Great job on the benching grey, and to finish it all off with the sumo reps…keep killin’ it.

Thanks guys.

Up until about 6 months ago, all my focus was on the bench. I had given up on squats and deads.

Called a guy that ran a powerlifting gym, to see if he could help me learn to bench in a shirt.
I told him I couldn’t squat or pull, because of a bad back. He said he understood. We’re doing box squats tonight, and it’s your turn.

Been going ever since. The back has never felt better.

1-25-2012 Heavy lower body, Box squats with bands. Bands add about 140lbs at the top. Warm ups, then 205x5, 245x4

295x3, 335x1, 295x2 plus bands, but without the box, just because.

Front squats, 205x5x1, 245x4x1, 265x3x1

Deads, warmed up, 350x2, 405 for 5 singles

GHR 3x10, holding a ten lb plate.

I was tired going in, fried when I finished.

1-27-12 Some dynamic stuff. Flat bench with doubled mini bands. Empty bar, x10, 135x10, 185x3, 205x3x9

Floor press 225x5, 245x5, 275x3, 295x2

pull ups 4sets of 8 with a 20 lb chain around neck.

squats, 155x8, 205x8, 295x5, 335x5

RDL 185x10, 230x10x2, all of these supersetted with GHR x10

Sunday morning accessory work.

Bent over rows, 135x10, 185x10, 225x8, 245x8

seated cable rows, 200 x10, 220x8, 230x8

pull ups bwx8x3

standing shoulder press, 135x10, 155x10, 165x6, 175x3x2

lateral raises 30x10, 35x10x2

close grip bench 135x10, 185x6, 225x6, 245x5, 265x4, 285x3

weighted dips, bw plus a 90lbs, 3x8, just bw x15

hammer curls, 45x10, 50x8, 55x8

ez bar curls 90x10, 100x8x2

Grey, since you asked my opinion, I will oblige:
I had training partners tell me to go directly to multiply, but I’m glad that I did go to single ply gear first. I started wearing gear at 48 years young. I did throw around some heavy weights raw for my size and lifted for 4+ years. I hit what I thought was near my raw maximum limits before deciding I really wanted more.

Some reason for going SP:

1. Single ply was less expensive, if I decided I didn’t like it.
  2. It was still going to support my joints
  3. It was still going to allow me to lift bigger weights
  4. I could max out SP and still have room for more when I was ready for Multiply

I luckily took to SP gear really fast and it worked well for me, granted I wear it really tight. In training, I was overloading my bench at the top almost 200#'s more than my best raw lift. I finally hit a CNS overload and had to back down for over a week and half to recuperate. That never happened when I was lifting raw, I didn’t like the feeling, but overall I knew I was probably lifting best of my ability at the time, and that made up for it.

Single briefs or in my case, suit just worn with straps down, helped me widened my squat stance and really move to utilizing the posterior muscles. Saves my hip flexors soooo much. I did try really tight compression shorts and power pants, but it’s just not the same.

I guess what I mean it that it takes time to build the joints/muscles/bones to handle so much more weight. I feel that if I went multiply right away I may have really injured myself as I feel the MP I could probably lift a lot more than I was and probably would have to inorder to touch. I have a friend who jumped right into MP and got pushed and snapped the humerus completely in half, multiple pins and plate. My feeling was there wasn’t enough training time to build the bone density up, but I may be wrong.

Since I just had bicep surgery, I’m planning on SP for the my next meet in April just to rebuild the tendon/bone strength. After that I will be going to MP.

sorry for this being so long, but I hope somewhere in here I may have answered the question/s you have. If not, let me know.

Thank you for the confidence in asking in the first place.

Did too much Sunday, and I was weak Monday night.

Bench, 135x8, 185x6, 225x6, 245x4, 275x4, 315x2, 335x1

Put on shirt and hit a 3 board, 365x2x2, 405x1

Incline DB bench, 90x8x3

skull crushers with db’s 30x10, 40x8, 50x8, supersetted with heavy band tricep ext

Dead lift 365x10

Good lifting in here man.

Also it is rare to have a person willing to donate an organ to a Family member let alone a friend, my faith in humanity is a little stronger from reading your thread.

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
Good lifting in here man.

Also it is rare to have a person willing to donate an organ to a Family member let alone a friend, my faith in humanity is a little stronger from reading your thread.

[/quote]

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words.

good work. what kinda shirt you using?

don’t listen greystoke… move towards the light. dont’ be drawn to the darkside.

It’s a Titan f6. The shirts happy spot is a little lower than my raw bar path. I need to use it more before I dump it on my head.

Meat…I am curious. I want to dabble in the dark arts. I was wondering where all the 50 plus lifters were. I found them…in single ply, lifting in the IPF. No plans to compete, but want to see what it’s about.

[quote]greystoke wrote:
It’s a Titan f6. The shirts happy spot is a little lower than my raw bar path. I need to use it more before I dump it on my head.

Meat…I am curious. I want to dabble in the dark arts. I was wondering where all the 50 plus lifters were. I found them…in single ply, lifting in the IPF. No plans to compete, but want to see what it’s about.[/quote]

i totally get it. i’m actually afraid to get into gear because i’ll like it too much. i’m sure i’ll move that way at some point. i really want to hit that equipped elite total raw first. once i hit that i plan to whore it up as much as possible.