T Nation

Getting my Shoulders to Work

Even though i have gotten gains, in terms of muscle.My strength increases have been minimal in my shoulders. I never feel like i get the muscle working well enough, I have a have a problem getting my shoulders to contract instead of my traps and triceps. Any tips how to get better shoulder focus?

keep your traps down, if your shrugging up towards your ears during raises and presses and even rowing movements, you will target ur traps much more so than if you keep the shoulders down and back. Try going super slow on side laterals, or higher reps partial swings, pre exhaust with laterals before you do overhead presses. Hammer your rear delts, dont lockout ur overhead presses, dont go above parrallel with raises (to the floor that is) as your traps take over once you go above a certain point.

Lift more.

Try using cables for laterals, for front raises go with a neutral grip or even rotate to palms up as you finish, this should help put more tension on just the front delt.

High reps, i dont really get a burn in my shoulders doing low reps, so if u cant feel them, u may also need more volume.

Keep the elbows slightly bent during laterals, keep the hands loose, maybe even use straps so that ur hands act like hooks and merely hold the weight, do all the motion with the shoulder, the arms are just connected, if u can learn to not flex the bi’s/tri’s during a lateral it should be alot more tension on the delts.

that should get ya started.

[quote]bignate wrote:
keep your traps down, if your shrugging up towards your ears during raises and presses and even rowing movements, you will target ur traps much more so than if you keep the shoulders down and back. Try going super slow on side laterals, or higher reps partial swings, pre exhaust with laterals before you do overhead presses. Hammer your rear delts, dont lockout ur overhead presses, dont go above parrallel with raises (to the floor that is) as your traps take over once you go above a certain point.

Lift more.

Try using cables for laterals, for front raises go with a neutral grip or even rotate to palms up as you finish, this should help put more tension on just the front delt.

High reps, i dont really get a burn in my shoulders doing low reps, so if u cant feel them, u may also need more volume.

Keep the elbows slightly bent during laterals, keep the hands loose, maybe even use straps so that ur hands act like hooks and merely hold the weight, do all the motion with the shoulder, the arms are just connected, if u can learn to not flex the bi’s/tri’s during a lateral it should be alot more tension on the delts.

that should get ya started. [/quote]

This is probably the best response you’re going get

Thanks guys appreciate it.

[quote]boatload wrote:

[quote]bignate wrote:

Lift more.

that should get ya started. [/quote]

This is probably the best response you’re going get[/quote]

i was feeling productive yesterday :slight_smile: hahaha

-Do most work seated, focusing less on weight, and more on feel
-I’ve done partial laterals when I hurt my traps. Focusing on the bottom half of the movement really gave me a great pump, plus it allowed me to really isolate the medial head of the delts.

^Both of these really improved my MMC which then carried over very well to my heavy pressing work.

S

Thanks guys ill give these a shot! Time is apprecaited,

I have found that JM’s partial swings for lateral and rear delts really tear them up.

I have always had the traps taking over on lateral raises, however after a re-think this is waht I do:
5/3/1 MP followed by 2 warm up sets of 15 reps (6kgx15 then 8kgx15) very strictly avoiding swing and doing a controlled lower, then 4 drop sets, 12.5kg x 15 drop to 8kg x 10-15reps. First work set puts the ‘feel’ into the delts. I started with 2 min rests an am working down. if the reps are easy at the last drop set time to increase weight, So far I cant do the last set at 12.5kgx15 / 8kgx15+. also do a lighter version on Bench day, 3 drop sets, using 10kg & 7.5kg. I feel the high rep and very controlled execution helps me hit the delt, though the trap also gets a little work.