Getting My Shirt On

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
How’d you do as far as getting weights to touch? (what weight, which boards, etc.)[/quote]

I didn’t have any boards, the gym had a 3 board, but for some reason they don’t have it anymore. I’ll make my own this weekend.

I couldn’t touch with 320, barely touched with 335, then couldn’t touch with 335 the second time I tried it. I then tried 345 and touched (almost didn’t lock out).

In my routine, I’m only supposed to do board presses without the shirt, but last tuesday I did a few extra rack lock-outs, but at a lower pin setting.

Does anyone else find it difficult to grab the bar while wearing this shirt?

I don’t know if I wasn’t starting out under the bar far enough or what, but I felt like I couldn’t reach up for the bar.

I’m a wussy bencher. It’s about half of my deadlift (long arms.) I tried my shirt for the first time today. I had to go to a new PR to get the bar to touch (300lbs). I lost all form with this. By the time the bar touched, my back was flat against the bench (I was squirming to get the bar down?). I was thinking of using weight releasers to help teach me the shirt. I’m thinking this will allow me to get used to having more weight in my hands, touch while using decent form, but then have a managable weight to press up. Any thoughts?

[quote]jgold wrote:
I’m a wussy bencher. It’s about half of my deadlift (long arms.) I tried my shirt for the first time today. I had to go to a new PR to get the bar to touch (300lbs). I lost all form with this. By the time the bar touched, my back was flat against the bench (I was squirming to get the bar down?). I was thinking of using weight releasers to help teach me the shirt. I’m thinking this will allow me to get used to having more weight in my hands, touch while using decent form, but then have a managable weight to press up. Any thoughts? [/quote]

I recommend using boards. Start with the three board then work your way down.

Yes, gripping the bar is difficult. I use max grip width (81cm - I am short as well - 5’4"). After you break in the shirt it will be fine. I don’t use board presses to learn the shirt. The 1st week in the shirt for me is to find out what is the bare minimum I of weight I need to lower the bar and be able to press in a competition passable manner. The following week I try to do multiple reps for that number and I work from there.

beef

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
Yes, gripping the bar is difficult. I use max grip width (81cm - I am short as well - 5’4"). After you break in the shirt it will be fine. I don’t use board presses to learn the shirt. The 1st week in the shirt for me is to find out what is the bare minimum I of weight I need to lower the bar and be able to press in a competition passable manner. The following week I try to do multiple reps for that number and I work from there.

beef[/quote]

Thanks.
I’m hoping I can get to grip it at or close to the max grip. Last Tuesday I couldn’t reach that point, so I gripped it with my ring or middle finger on the marks.

My grip also tends to slip outward when benching heavy, and a while ago I almost pinched my skin on the rack because my grip slipped so far. I tried sneaking in some baby powder, but couldn’t realy use much since powder and chalk are ‘not allowed’ in my gym.

I had to convince the owner that I wouldn’t get powder on the floor while putting my shirt on. Another guy at my gym gets away with it, but he’s a world class bencher, getting over 600 at the 181 lb class.

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
beefcakemdphd wrote:

beef

Thanks.
I’m hoping I can get to grip it at or close to the max grip. Last Tuesday I couldn’t reach that point, so I gripped it with my ring or middle finger on the marks.

My grip also tends to slip outward when benching heavy, and a while ago I almost pinched my skin on the rack because my grip slipped so far. I tried sneaking in some baby powder, but couldn’t realy use much since powder and chalk are ‘not allowed’ in my gym.

I had to convince the owner that I wouldn’t get powder on the floor while putting my shirt on. Another guy at my gym gets away with it, but he’s a world class bencher, getting over 600 at the 181 lb class.[/quote]

Yeah, I have a hard time getting my grip set on the bar too. What I do is I get my feet were I want them and get my arch set, the I place my left hand in position and then have my partner grab my right wrist and put my hand in position. How much are you getting out of the F6 right now? I have a single Rage X I am working right now. The second time I used it I got about 125# carry over. I love this cheater gear.

[quote]Joebob wrote:
Yeah, I have a hard time getting my grip set on the bar too. What I do is I get my feet were I want them and get my arch set, the I place my left hand in position and then have my partner grab my right wrist and put my hand in position. How much are you getting out of the F6 right now? I have a single Rage X I am working right now. The second time I used it I got about 125# carry over. I love this cheater gear.[/quote]

Well, my weak point has always been my triceps, and I’d fail at (or just above) the mid point.

I just started using the PL method of benching, with my elbows in and touching just below my ribs.

I thought my max was around 335, but I haven’t tested it in years. My approx. 5 rep max was close to the same as when I did get 335, so I assumed it was still 335.

I was only able to get 345 so far, and the lock out was real slow.

My shirtless max may very well not be 335 (maybe it was wishful thinking), so I’m not realy sure how much the shirt is giving me.

Plus, it was the first time using that shirt (only the second time using any shirt, and the last time was over 3 years ago), and I didn’t realy max out until I failed, so I don’t know yet what I would have gotten. I’ll go heavier next Monday and see where I fail at.

When doing CW’s Waterbury Method, I was using 305 for 10 sets of 3.