Getting My Girlfriend Into SS

Bruising easily can be a symptom of numerous health issues but it often associated with vitamin/mineral deficiencies. If she suffers from disordered eating, it’s the likely culprit, but she should have some bloodwork done to establish a cause and rule out anything more serious.

The other issue is that she has to want this. Your intentions are noble but it’s only going to work if gaining weight and strength is something she wants and is willing to achieve. Otherwise you’re going to beating your head against a brick wall.

Still, it might be worth scaring her into action because, at 105lbs, she is looking at osteporosis somewhere down the line.

some good advice in here.

how about you suggest she finds motivation in pulling out pictures of beautiful athletic women. Most athletes are all packing some serious dense muscle poundage.

At that point she might, for herself, understand the value of a good workout and proper nutrition. Give her a different focus to build on.

food wise: eating protein every 2-3 hours with a side of fruit and veggie, carrying nuts and an apple is a good trick. She needs to start her day with a good breakfast too.

from experience - you can bring the horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Find that spark that will fire her interest rather than plan it all for her.

Cal, you took the words right out of my mouth… If she’s that delicate, there may be something else going on that may need to be addressed; she probably needs to get medical clearance before she starts to train.

Women are chronic under-eaters which means multiple deficiencies and ‘delicateness’.

Increase calories gradually otherwise she’ll get fat and she’ll hate you. I’m a huge fan of creatine if she’s willing to try it, not necessary to load…she’ll hold water, think she’s fat and hate you.

5 6’, 105lbs is super-tiny! If she’s not skinny-fat,she’s got mad potential. But’s she’s got to want it for herself.

Just don’t let her end up looking like this.

[quote]merkloar wrote:
now my gf is 5’6 and 105lbs, underweight too, i need to help her gain 2 pounds a week. Now i don’t know a thing about female training, so i was just wondering if you think this might be much

[/quote]

Why is it she ‘needs’ to be gaining 2 lbs per week? Where are you getting this number from? Even if you were to accomplish increasing her weight at that rate, almost certainly most of it would be fat. That’s much to aggressive. Unless of course fat gain is irrelevant to her. A more realistic number would be half a pound/week (assuming her training, diet and sleep are all on point!).

When I got married, I weighed 100 lb. at 5’4" with absolutely no work on my part to stay there. I suspect the OP’s girlfriend has very tiny bones, like I do. That being said, her “fragility” doesn’t have to limit her. But she needs to be motivated to not want to be fragile. Training hard and eating up takes commitment. Good luck on motivating her.

[quote]nlmain wrote:
some good advice in here.

how about you suggest she finds motivation in pulling out pictures of beautiful athletic women. Most athletes are all packing some serious dense muscle poundage.

At that point she might, for herself, understand the value of a good workout and proper nutrition. Give her a different focus to build on.

food wise: eating protein every 2-3 hours with a side of fruit and veggie, carrying nuts and an apple is a good trick. She needs to start her day with a good breakfast too.

from experience - you can bring the horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Find that spark that will fire her interest rather than plan it all for her.[/quote]

thanks!

today was her first workout, right now we’re going to start with 300 calories above maintenance and she’s doing fine. she’s really flexible so after about 2 hours she did all her lifts with great form, her squat is at 45lbs 3x5, bench at 50lbs 3x5, but she did a 95lb deadlift with great fucking form :smiley: so i’m pretty happy with her right now

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
When I got married, I weighed 100 lb. at 5’4" with absolutely no work on my part to stay there. I suspect the OP’s girlfriend has very tiny bones, like I do. That being said, her “fragility” doesn’t have to limit her. But she needs to be motivated to not want to be fragile. Training hard and eating up takes commitment. Good luck on motivating her.[/quote]

yeah she does have very tiny bones, as soon as i read this what came to mind was when she asked if she could add inches to her wrist because she can’t wear normal bracelets :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]skyel7 wrote:

Increase calories gradually otherwise she’ll get fat and she’ll hate you. I’m a huge fan of creatine if she’s willing to try it, not necessary to load…she’ll hold water, think she’s fat and hate you.

[/quote]

I totally agree with this statement. Let her get a taste of strong and sneak in the calorie increase or she might freak out (not that I know her). Someone else said skip the triceps kickbacks, and as a skinny girl I’m going to disagree vehemently. She might get spooked at bigger legs, while nice arms are a gateway drug for strength, especially if she’s that skinny.

imho and all that.

[quote]arachne12 wrote:

[quote]skyel7 wrote:

[/quote]

I totally agree with this statement. Let her get a taste of strong and sneak in the calorie increase or she might freak out (not that I know her). Someone else said skip the triceps kickbacks, and as a skinny girl I’m going to disagree vehemently. She might get spooked at bigger legs, while nice arms are a gateway drug for strength, especially if she’s that skinny.

imho and all that.[/quote]

I’m going to have to disagree on the tri kickback thing. Regardless of what your goal is, kickbacks are worthless.

buckeye, you may be right. My triceps probably came from close grip pushups. I guess I’m saying don’t underestimate a tiny bit of arm shapeliness for a skinny girl. It’s addictive.