T Nation

Getting My Butt In(to) Gear

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

Now if you could just talk your father in law into making me a rack, I’d be super happy.[/quote]

Maybe if I show him the video of your sets in the short shorts, he may be pursuaded…he is a guy. I’ll just say something like, “The gym won’t let her squat there anymore, they say it’s too distracting for other clients…poor girl. I wonder if someone could build a rack for her, do you know anyone?”

BTW, it’s looking like the trip to St. Catherine’s is a go for Saturday (YEAH). A friend is going to take the kids for a few hours.

I know they start at 10:00am, when do they usually finish?

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:

Now if you could just talk your father in law into making me a rack, I’d be super happy.

Maybe if I show him the video of your sets in the short shorts, he may be pursuaded…he is a guy. I’ll just say something like, “The gym won’t let her squat there anymore, they say it’s too distracting for other clients…poor girl. I wonder if someone could build a rack for her, do you know anyone?”

BTW, it’s looking like the trip to St. Catherine’s is a go for Saturday (YEAH). A friend is going to take the kids for a few hours.

I know they start at 10:00am, when do they usually finish?[/quote]

I’d plan on a couple of hours although from my experience, it isn’t like a structured ‘team’ workout.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:

Now if you could just talk your father in law into making me a rack, I’d be super happy.

Also, I’ll squat in a thong if he’ll make me a rack.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:

Also, I’ll squat in a thong if he’ll make me a rack.[/quote]

You can pick up my rack anytime… :slight_smile:

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:

Depending on the number of outsiders and what everyone is doing, anywhere from 12-1. 1 being the absolute latest…and that’s usually me hanging around and chatting while all the other visitors have left :slight_smile:

Also, go to the guest services desk to sign in as a visitor and tell them it’s your first time and ask for a 3 day free pass. After that you’ll have to pay $10. Once you go past the ‘gym check in’ counter, the men’s change rooms are upstairs…you’ll want the one that doesn’t need the swipe card to get into :smiley:

I’m going a little bit early probably so give me a call when you get there and I’ll make sure you find everything you need/where they hang out.

[quote]Court wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:

Depending on the number of outsiders and what everyone is doing, anywhere from 12-1. 1 being the absolute latest…and that’s usually me hanging around and chatting while all the other visitors have left :slight_smile:

Also, go to the guest services desk to sign in as a visitor and tell them it’s your first time and ask for a 3 day free pass. After that you’ll have to pay $10. Once you go past the ‘gym check in’ counter, the men’s change rooms are upstairs…you’ll want the one that doesn’t need the swipe card to get into :smiley:

I’m going a little bit early probably so give me a call when you get there and I’ll make sure you find everything you need/where they hang out.[/quote]

Should we take bets on if I show up at the right place?

Thanks for the info. Hopefully Glyn can bring a suit and/or shirt I can try out. I’m really getting curious what they are like to have on.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

Thanks for the info. Hopefully Glyn can bring a suit and/or shirt I can try out. I’m really getting curious what they are like to have on.
[/quote]

No worries. Do you need step by step directions :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll bring the two bigger shirts that they had me in - they’ll likely put you in one of those. I’ll also message Frank - he’s the gearwhore of the group - and let him know you’re coming.

[quote]Court wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:

No worries. Do you need step by step directions :P[/quote]

That didn’t help last time. :slight_smile: In my defence, I went back on the website after I got home and te information was updated since I printed it off. The location (their training centre) wasn’t even listed anymore. I just made the mistake of not double checking.

Just to check it is the Ernest St. (or something like that) Y, right?

[quote]
I’ll bring the two bigger shirts that they had me in - they’ll likely put you in one of those. I’ll also message Frank - he’s the gearwhore of the group - and let him know you’re coming.[/quote]

Much appreciated.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No - it’s the Y in St. Catharines… 25 YMCA Drive…

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=25%20YMCA%20Drive%2C%20st.%20catharines%2C%20on

That would have been so freaking hilarious :smiley:

PS. Frank won’t be there but is dropping off a suit that he thinks will fit you. Glyn will have wraps. You’ll be well taken care of :smiley:

[quote]Court wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No - it’s the Y in St. Catharines… 25 YMCA Drive…

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=25%20YMCA%20Drive%2C%20st.%20catharines%2C%20on

That would have been so freaking hilarious :D[/quote]

That would have been good. But WTF, is St. Catherine’s the Y capital of the world:

Tuesday, May, 2009

Tonight was for upper body assistance work.

Overhead Barbell Press
1x10x45
1x10x95
1x7x105
1x5x105
Haven’t done these in a long time and it shows.

Dumbbell Bench Press
1x12x60s
1x11x60s <------- Really getting disappointed about here. :slight_smile:
2x6x60s

Kroc Rows
1x20x80
1x15x80

Barbell Curls
3x8x75

WOW, what an eye-opener tonight was! My programs (Sheiko/CT’s density program) lately have really focused on the big 3 lifts and what a dive my other numbers have taken.

It was definitely a good move to add this day in as it should help me build a little muscle. Since dropping a weight class, I like the fact that some of my pants fit again, but I don’t like the shrinkage in the upper body, so this day is partly just for vanity and so all the women on here keep dreaming about me (yes, I’m doing it for all of you).

I’ve kind of avoided this type of training lately due to training so late at night and the fact that I hate doing reps over 3. To give you an idea of how much I hate high rep sets, for a set of 15, I’ll count 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,1,2 or a set of 6 is 1,2,3,1,2,1!

I’m also still feeling lethargic from the flu but it’s getting better by the day. I skipped abs today due to my stomach still not completely recovered and I was burping constantly from the DB presses on. I usually have a stomach made of cast iron, so the “off” feeling is really weird for me.

Side note. One of the down falls of a garage gym is the lack of equipment. My dumbbells are adjustable and fit the weights for a standard Olympic bar. This is handy for storage purposes, but the collars don’t give you a very safe feeling when doing things like dumbbell presses, I had to re-tighten the damn things after every set.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Tuesday, May, 2009

Tonight was for upper body assistance work.

Overhead Barbell Press
1x10x45
1x10x95
1x7x105
1x5x105
Haven’t done these in a long time and it shows.

Dumbbell Bench Press
1x12x60s
1x11x60s <------- Really getting disappointed about here. :slight_smile:
2x6x60s

Kroc Rows
1x20x80
1x15x80

Barbell Curls
3x8x75

WOW, what an eye-opener tonight was! My programs (Sheiko/CT’s density program) lately have really focused on the big 3 lifts and what a dive my other numbers have taken.

It was definitely a good move to add this day in as it should help me build a little muscle. Since dropping a weight class, I like the fact that some of my pants fit again, but I don’t like the shrinkage in the upper body, so this day is partly just for vanity and so all the women on here keep dreaming about me (yes, I’m doing it for all of you).

I’ve kind of avoided this type of training lately due to training so late at night and the fact that I hate doing reps over 3. To give you an idea of how much I hate high rep sets, for a set of 15, I’ll count 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,1,2 or a set of 6 is 1,2,3,1,2,1!

I’m also still feeling lethargic from the flu but it’s getting better by the day. I skipped abs today due to my stomach still not completely recovered and I was burping constantly from the DB presses on. I usually have a stomach made of cast iron, so the “off” feeling is really weird for me.
[/quote]

I know how you feel. Much of the assistance stuff leaves me cold and I tend to get stuck in a rut doing just the big three and a few assistance lifts that I like.

However, after I spent a few weeks doing Ddot’s ‘rest’ program, it opened my eyes and mind to a ton of other alternatives. In addition, with my McGyvered Maximum Strength program, I’ve been picking up a lot more and having a bit of fun with it.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Squat Day

Front Squats
1x5x115
1x5x125
1x5x135
3x5x165

Back Squats
The goal right now is to get a slightly wider stance and a bit lower bar position on my back.

1x5x135
1x5x185
1x3x225
1x2x295
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNG1dyOGYk&feature=channel

1x1x295 <— I realized here that it was more important to work on technique today, so I lowered the weight for the remaining sets.
3x2x275
1st set @ 275
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEF77xBCYVc&feature=channel
3rd set @275
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlhV6wyDh_Q&feature=channel

Sumo SLDL
1x5x135
1x6x185
2x10x205

High Pulls
1x12x95
2x8x95

Hanging leg raises
3x12

Overall a pretty good day, but still a lot of work to do with my squat. The wider stance feels fine, but my knees are caving in so I need to focus on that. I think depth is good since the band across the cage is about 12.25" and for the most part it is being pushed down some.

Still need to focus on driving elbows forward. The lower bar position seems natural with my hands moved out 1" on each side. However now I’m having trouble reaching the racks, Doh!

Did you want my read deadlifting shoes to pull your entire outfit together?

I still want your rack? Is that wrong?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Did you want my read deadlifting shoes to pull your entire outfit together?

I still want your rack? Is that wrong?[/quote] haha

The shoes would match nicely. Especially if I wore my deadlifting socks…but what to do about a shirt???

Dear RuggerSir,

I’d like your update/take on yesterday.

Sincerely,
Court

[quote]Court wrote:
Dear RuggerSir,

Sincerely,
Court[/quote]

Me too.

Hugs and kisses, O

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Court wrote:
Dear RuggerSir,

Sincerely,
Court

Me too.

Hugs and kisses, O[/quote]

Well I guess due to popular demand I will do my best to accommodate. I haven’t had a chance to update sooner due to family functions Saturday night and all day today.

Saturday, May 9th

So due to Ouro and Court introducing me to some of the Niagara PL club guys, I went out on Saturday to try out a squat suit. I actually didn’t know what I’d be trying (bench shirt or squat suit) but I was looking forward to both so it didn’t matter.

I was hoping to get out for 10:00am, but due to some delays with a friend that was going to watch the kids it was about 10:30am (I think). So by the time I got started warming up, Court was already on her heavy work sets.

Once I joined in the squat rotation there was Court and myself plus another guy. I start off my first warm-up set with a plate as always, then we put 35’s on for Court’s 205 work sets. Then we load the bar to 600+ for Andy. Then we strip it down to a plate and a 35 for Court and myself…and reload it to 600+ for Andy. All I can say is screw cardio or mobility work for warming up, just load and unload the squat bar.

So after a couple sets, one guy pulls out a suit for my and I go to the washroom to put it on. Fifteen minutes later I have the suit over my ass and sitting about 6" too low. I head back out to the training area and after a series of wedgie attempts and various stretching movements the suit is sitting fairly well. At this point, I’ve now done more cardio than I have in years.

With the straps down I try a warm-up set with 205 just to get a feel. I COULD NOT GET CLOSE TO DEPTH! Then the guy that brought the suit asks what my best squat is. I tell him that I’ve never used a suit or wraps and my best competition squat is 330lbs. I did squat 355 in training a couple month ago, but I was 20lbs heavier at the time.

So he loads 295lbs on the bar, gives me a light wrap and I do a triple (I think). I think only one of these was deep enough. Then he loads the bar to 335lbs and I do a double. One is high and the other is about parallel. Next squat the bar is loaded to 355 for a single and then 375 for a single. I think both were high, but I have no idea how much. We stopped there since people had to take off (with the suit), although I would have liked to take a few more attempts.

The weight did not feel heavy, it’s just I had no feel for the depth. They told me I needed to come down faster, sit back more and keep my chest up more from the set up through the finish of the squat.

All I can say is I can see how geared lifting is addictive, it has a totally different feel. And I like it!

Funny story. As I mentioned, Court and I were squatting with another guy. So after Court finished her squats she was moving onto deadlifts. She sets the bar on the floor, looks around and realizes he is using all the plates for his squats. So she has to wait until he’s done. Fortunately for her, I’m more of a gentleman and I left some plates for her to use.