Getting Massive, Help Appreciated

I am a Royal Marine commando, good endurance with running and strength endurance, but weak strength strength wise.

Training session yesterday was:

back squat
70kgs - 10
80kgs - 10

front squat
40kgs - 10
50kgs - 10

pistol squats
right - 10
left - 6

First few sessions will be trying to find the right weight and get the intensity
back.

Will post up a set of phots today, post new sets every 3 months.

Well

Those Pistols won’t help and neither will only doing 2 sets of squats.

What would you recommend? What works for you?

I am reading your training log now.

[quote]Lionheartxxi wrote:
What would you recommend? What works for you? [/quote]

Well what works for me and most others is leg training built around squat variations and deadlift variations with accesory work.

That should be what you do for all bodyparts…

Big lift (shoulder press bench dead and squat) followed by accesorry work for that muscle group.

One of the big lifts for 4 to 6 reps then 3 of 4 accesorry lifts for 8 to 12

Thanks mate. It is sort of what I am doing. I need to be good at running with 15kgs of weight as well so not going to be doing no where near as much as you, you beast :wink:

Todays training

Dumbbell press
30kgs - 6
25kgs - 9

flyes
15kgs - 8
15kgs - 5

dips on rings
10kgs - 6
10kgs - 2
bw - 3

military press
45kgs - 6
50kgs - 6

lateral & front raises
7.5kgs - 10
10kgs - 8

skinny me

skinny me

if you wanna be strong while running with weight, your gunna have to add more sets to your back squats. You should do a warm up set and at least 3-5 heavy sets. you should do this for all your big lifts to fully work your muscles, doing two sets will not cut it man

[quote]Bangerangg18 wrote:
if you wanna be strong while running with weight, your gunna have to add more sets to your back squats. You should do a warm up set and at least 3-5 heavy sets. you should do this for all your big lifts to fully work your muscles, doing two sets will not cut it man [/quote]

Yup roger, I thought so to. I will change it next workout. Thank you.

What’s the gym like at Lympstone? And can’t the PTIs give you some help getting massive or do they know more about fitness?

They are PTI’s for marine fitness mate. To be fair getting big and strong doesn’t help
you much for the commando tests. That is why by the time the commando tests come, everyone
is very slim.

I trained 2 guys from last fall til theit PT. Each one upped weight by 20 pounds and demolished their PT.

Not sure how your is but there’s was run sit up and push ups…

we did a program from this site called 6 weeks to superhero but we didn’t stop at 6 weeks.

We also trained in the morning too for a more bodybuilding style.

You can do this if you want. Get massive explosive and build that superfreak endurance.

alright rockstar :)) Yeah mate, you can get big and strong whilst been fit, it is just they don’t train you that way at ctcrm, because they only have so much time to get you to the required level and your busy soldiering most of it.

Ok todays training. I wanted to do more, but was in a rush. Will be enough to
stimulate anyhow. Training tomorrow, legs. Will be taking advice and upping the
sets. Cheers guys.

Deadlifts
100kgs - 3
110kgs - 3
120kgs - 2
130kgs - 2
140kgs - 1
130kgs - 1

Chinups
10kgs - 3
15kgs - 3
20kgs - 2
25kgs - 1
bw slow - 6

concentration curls
15kgs - 6 each arm
20kgs - 3 "
20kgs - 3 "
20kgs - 2 "

deep back squats
70kgs - 10
70kgs - 10
70kgs - 10

deep front squats
50kgs - 6
60kgs - 6
50kgs - 8

pistol squats
5kgs - 6 each leg
10kgs - R - 3 / L - 1

rocky, kept the pistol squats in, because i like doing them. Cheers mate.

warmup - 50 pushups

dumbbell press
30kg - 5
30kg - 3
25kgs - 9

flyes
15kgs - 10
17.5kgs - 6
17.5kgs - 4

dips on rings
10kgs - 6
10kgs - 4
5kgs - 4

Left shoulder work as they were burnt out. I dont see the point
in going over the top. My goal is to hit the gym everyday. I
go to my unit on the 27th, providing we are not busy I will be able
to hit it. Havent ran since been back, but doubt it will do any harm.
We do cardio & strength endurance at a unit in the working hours anyhow.
These few weeks are good to get gently in to weights. I will be doing
phiz two times a day, unit phiz in the mornings and my own personal phiz
i.e weights in the evening. Next few months should see some real changes.

OK, I’m not “massive” but everything I have read and learned about putting on muscle points to two areas: 1) Heavy!!! lifting, both ME and DE work - focused on Squats, deadlifts, vertical and horizontal pressing - Tom Platts would recommend Heavy weights w/ more volume. 2) If you want your muscles to grow you have to feed them. Get serious with your peri-workout nutrition and eat, eat, eat good clean foods. This probably isn’t the detailed info you’re looking for but you must put as much thought and focus into your nutrition if you want to grow. If you start to get “fat” (whatever that is!) then push/pull a sled, heavy hammer a tire, jump rope, perform loaded carries, etc. - Be smart about your conditioning, jack-up your lifting weight and volume, and eat, eat, eat.

[quote]mudshark wrote:
OK, I’m not “massive” but everything I have read and learned about putting on muscle points to two areas: 1) Heavy!!! lifting, both ME and DE work - focused on Squats, deadlifts, vertical and horizontal pressing - Tom Platts would recommend Heavy weights w/ more volume. 2) If you want your muscles to grow you have to feed them. Get serious with your peri-workout nutrition and eat, eat, eat good clean foods. This probably isn’t the detailed info you’re looking for but you must put as much thought and focus into your nutrition if you want to grow. If you start to get “fat” (whatever that is!) then push/pull a sled, heavy hammer a tire, jump rope, perform loaded carries, etc. - Be smart about your conditioning, jack-up your lifting weight and volume, and eat, eat, eat. [/quote]

How many reps do you reckon is enough? Reps and sets is like a grey area for me, there is so much information out there. I take some protein powder and eat moderately healthy.

Deadlifts
110kgs - 8
110kgs - 7
110kgs - 6

BB row
50kg - 10
60kg - 6
65kgs - 5

Chinups
10kgs - 3
15kgs - 3
20kgs - 1