Getting Lean

Just wondering if anyone can give some tips for getting lean. I have always concentrated on being strong, but lately have put on a few inches on the waist and would like to lose it in a hurry (summer is here after all). Sprints? Intervals? Just diet manipulation? What has worked for people? I am doing a lower body, uppper body and arm day right now with mostly compound excercises and a couple days of cardio. Thanks a lot.

Hrmmm, getting lean means:

Diet: T-Dawg 2.0

Training: Meltdown I or II, EDT and HIIT

Supplements: Red Bands, maybe some r-ALA, Surge or Alpha Male

T-Dawg Diet 2.0

Preferably low-moderate volume of heavy weight program like Westside (just reduce volume on the supplement and axillary exercises). a couple of HIIT cardio a week but just becareful. it’s easy to burn out from low carb diet. Pretty much any program with reduced volume will work as long as there’s some heavy lifting in them. My personal favorite program would be Kenn’s Tier system with 4 or 5 days of running and i don’t have to reduce the calories, I just change stuff like adding more vegetables, high quality protein, etc. There are many ways to lose BF.

Thanks for the replies. Meltdown training looks good. Tungsten, can you expand on ‘Kenn’s Tier system’?

The only thing that has worked for me is consistent running. I found that nothing else will take it off like consistent 5 mile runs, now granted, this type of running is not something you can just jump into, but once your body gets used to it, the fat just falls off.

I run about 20 miles a week and lift 5 times a week. I dont have much fat on me and I take my lifestyle pretty serious, but running is time consuming.

One last note, running is something that needs to be done consistently or it will not work.

[quote]G22 wrote:
The only thing that has worked for me is consistent running. I found that nothing else will take it off like consistent 5 mile runs, now granted, this type of running is not something you can just jump into, but once your body gets used to it, the fat just falls off.

I run about 20 miles a week and lift 5 times a week. I dont have much fat on me and I take my lifestyle pretty serious, but running is time consuming.

One last note, running is something that needs to be done consistently or it will not work.
[/quote]

If your goal is to be skinny, then running that much will do that. I’ve run 12-15 miles a week before and I lost 10-15lbs of muscles even with strength training! My BF% was around 8% to begin with but I didn’t think I’d lose that much muscle.

[quote]BradS wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Meltdown training looks good. Tungsten, can you expand on ‘Kenn’s Tier system’? [/quote]

If you do a search for it in the forum, you’ll find it. It’s westside with oly lifting thrown in which is purely for athletes so it’s not something you’d build alot of muscles plus you’d be alot more mobile. I just like the feeling of being able to move like 18 years old. Here’s a program written by Kenn (Coach H) for football players http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.
asp?qid=
23112&tid=81-

This is just ONE of different ways Kenn does with Tier System depending on the goals ( speed, strength or volume). Tier one is the highest priority thus more work is done. As you go down to tier 5th, the work gets less.

Not to be conceited…but I think I’m one of the best examples of getting lean on this site…you might want to visit the thread I had going…it’s entitled “my first 7 week cutting cycle” or something like that…just search for proteinpowda in the threads.
Jason

Anyone have any success with ABBH while reducing calories to get lean?

[quote]pauln78 wrote:
Anyone have any success with ABBH while reducing calories to get lean?[/quote]

Doesn’t matter as long as you keep your diet in check. However severely reducing calories can kick your ass. For T-Dawg 2.0, don’t go below 100g of carbs, maybe 150g every other day depending on how much training volume you do. Higher volume probably works as well with 150g as the lower volume with 100g. I found it that eating 2-4 salads with olive oil and balasmic vinegar (italian dressing) a day helped a lot better than just relying on oatmeal only for carbs. I also have 2 tbs of coconut oil, 1 tbs of flax oil, and some fish oil capsules. i know it sounds a lot but I still lost some BF while maintaining high intensity strength training like westside or kenn’s tier. I prefer this way where I can do more athletic performance wise stuff like sprinting and conditioning.

Recently I used ABBH as my cutting program with some reduced calories. It is hard to make strength gains while reducing calories but I was able to hold my strength. Some muscle size was lost but my gut got nice and tight.
It seems a reasonably good program for dieting. There isn’t too much volume and you use heavy weights which helps you keep size.

Paul,

Just figured I would chime in real fast and say, yes. There are more than a few of us out here that have used ABBH with great success in not only building muscle, but also preserving LBM while cutting. I suggest you give it a go. I dont think you will like the results.

You might try a search on ABBH on the forumn, should hit a few threads.

Just my 2cc,

Phill

Thanks for all the replies. I will get going on one the suggestions this week.