T Nation

Getting Lean Without Getting Small

For the next month or so, until I go back to school, I will be trying to lose some fat. I’ve lost some motivation, so I think getting lean again might rekindle the fire. This is also to see if I look much smaller without the fat. It seems to affect people differently; some just seem to get bigger, but others just start looking like a regular person.

I’ve been lifting for a little over 2 years, seriously (intelligently) for about 1 year. I am 19 years old, 215 at 5’11. Bodyfat? No idea, really. I’ve seen so many different ideas of 10%, 15%, 20% bodyfat that I’m not going to worry about it. Let’s just say I’m not fat, but I’m not lean. Right now, I’m doing a basic westside template 3 or 4 times a week. My goal is to get a (raw) elite total within a year.

had a decent DE bench day:
speed regular bench
JMs
t-bar rows
DB shoulder press
BB curls

this asshole trainer came up to me while I was getting 4 plates onto the t-bar rows. He thought putting a foot on the bar was dangerous. It is too bad that he was friends with the owner, so I couldn’t say what I really thought of him.

today i had some asian broccoli and beef store-bought package. last of those. i had about 1 lb beef with mixed nuts for the rest. some WMS and whey pwo. and now cottage cheese and mixed nuts before bed.

it’s been forever since i’ve added up foods and macros for a diet. I was very surprised at how much i really eat. the diet i wrote up before i added the calories came out well into the 3000s, so i must’ve been consuming 5000-6000 calories before this.

Yeah it always amuses me when people like to walk around and give advise to larger, stronger, and obviously more experienced lifters.

I understand your reservations on cutting, I was kinda the same way, but just think about it this way, as painful as it is to drop weight, wouldn’t you rather really go hard at it and just get it over with and get right back to gaining muscle ?

thanks for the first reply

i’m starting high because i have no idea what my maintenance is, and I’m not going to chance it by cutting down too low. finding my maintenance will be a helpful marker to know, too. i may taper each week; e.g., I’m starting with 13XBW, so next week I may go down to 12XBW.

i’m going to keep a food log here so I won’t be tempted to eat crap. today was an off day.

1 lb beef, 1 cup raisin bran
2 scoops whey, mixed nuts
1 lb beef, mixed nuts
8 eggs (half whites), 3 strips bacon
1/2 tub cottage cheese, shot of olive oil

did 45 minutes of walking in the evening

today was ME lower

GMs
lying leg curl
rdls
weighted situps

extremely boring workout

diet:

1/2 tub of cottage cheese, cup of raisin bran
2 scoops WMS, 2 scoops whey
1 lb beef, mixed nuts
1 lb beef, steamed broccoli
and eventually, 1/2 tub cottage cheese and shot of olive oil

it’s days like this i wonder why i do this, why being “big” matters and why i should waste my time cooking beef that tastes like shit and makes the whole house stink. i honestly don’t know why.