Getting Lean With a Simple Approach

I was wondering how lean bf% wise one can get too using the simple approach like bodyforlife ?

Can someone eventually get to 9% bodyfat or even 6% bodyfat eventually if thats the main goal?

[quote]markcoughlan wrote:
I was wondering how lean bf% wise one can get too using the simple approach like bodyforlife ?

Can someone eventually get to 9% bodyfat or even 6% bodyfat eventually if thats the main goal?
[/quote]

Depends on the person, the training and total amount of intake they take in on said diet. In theory, YES and maybe yes.

Id say there are better simple choice like T-Dawg 2.0 IMO of course.

Phill

[/quote]

Simple is nice. Try it and see.

Maybe you should read “My Experience on the Anabolic Diet”. It’s actually very simple and very result-producing for a lot of us.

T-Dawg 2.0 is good as well.

Simple is nice.

Im 278lbs and 28%bodyfat

Heres the diet I plan to do I will also use sunday as my freeday and eat what I like

9.00 6 large eggwhites 1 yolk scrambled,bowl of oatmeal(40g dry)

12.00 bfl workout

postworkout myoplex

3.30 200g salmon fillet or very lean sirloin steak,potato,veg

6.30 myoplex

8.30 chicken sandwich made with hifibre bread,little mustard /ketchup and a side salad of tomato and onions

11.30 myoplex

I will eat the salmon 3 times a week so I should be covered as far as fats is concerned will thats what it says in the bfl book

the diet is between 2000-2500 cals a day which may be too low for me but Im only doing 3x 20 minute intense cardio sessions a week and theres the freeday as well where i will eat what I like but try not to go totally overboard

I hope to get to 19% bodyfat in 12 weeks

will my plan help me reach my goal ,will i lose muscle im a big broad guy

Make sure it is wild salmon and not farmed or you won’t get the EFA benefit you think.

[quote]derek wrote:
markcoughlan wrote:

Simple is nice. Try it and see.

Maybe you should read “My Experience on the Anabolic Diet”. It’s actually very simple and very result-producing for a lot of us.

T-Dawg 2.0 is good as well.

Simple is nice.[/quote]

I agree, definitely start simple. Once you start plateauing, start looking to the more involved diets.

would hitting 6% bodyfat and maintaining muscle mass be feasible for me in say 9 months?

to recap im now 278lbs 28%bf

Just on numbers alone, that seems possible. It is about 2.4% bodyfat lost per month. The only thing is, you will not see as great of progress as you get closer and closer to your goal. You might do something simple to get down to 12 or 15% bodyfat, but then have to do something more extreme to keep the fat coming off, or you may have to take a month or two break from cutting, and begin again after that.

But it doesnt sound crazy to make that kind of change in 9 months, if you are dedictaed. You also may have to do away with the Sunday cheat day after awhile.

would hitting 6% bodyfat and maintaining muscle mass be feasible for me in say 9 months?

to recap im now 278lbs 28%bf[/quote]

Mark,

Realistically I would hesitate to say yes as achieving a bodyfat percentage of 6% is very rare for a natural athlete. Even competitive bodybuilders struggle to get to that level as your body will always carry approximately 4-5% BF to protect vital organs.

Also, give your starting point and the 9 month duration, I do not believe it would be feasible to do so without a significant rebound. Also, one thing to keep in mind in losing this weight is loose skin. If I’m you I would look to gradually lose and allow your body to adapt to these changes.

Hope that makes sense and one thing I would recommend is to pick a diet that works for you. The T-Dawg 2.0 diet is a very good approach but it may be a little too advanced for a beginner like yourself. You need lifestyle changes, not a diet. Precision nutrition is the best bang for your buck for sure.

Cheers,

Sasha

[quote]SashaG wrote:
markcoughlan wrote:

to recap im now 278lbs 28%bf

Mark,

Realistically I would hesitate to say yes as achieving a bodyfat percentage of 6% is very rare for a natural athlete. Even competitive bodybuilders struggle to get to that level as your body will always carry approximately 4-5% BF to protect vital organs.

Also, give your starting point and the 9 month duration, I do not believe it would be feasible to do so without a significant rebound. Also, one thing to keep in mind in losing this weight is loose skin. If I’m you I would look to gradually lose and allow your body to adapt to these changes.

Hope that makes sense and one thing I would recommend is to pick a diet that works for you. The T-Dawg 2.0 diet is a very good approach but it may be a little too advanced for a beginner like yourself. You need lifestyle changes, not a diet. Precision nutrition is the best bang for your buck for sure.

Cheers,

Sasha
[/quote]

GREAT POST!@!!!

Phill

Why would a beginner, who doesn’t know how to do it, even want to get to 6%? That’s the lower end of what elite bodybuilders get to for show day. Fat is useful to have and it’s good, outside of that one cirrcumstance, to have substantially more than 6%. Hell, 12-13% is on the low side and will have you looking pretty good if you have the muscle to make it worthwhile!

I think shooting for that much of a drop in 9 months is possible.

Yes possible. But could 98% of people do it? NO.

You will be hungry. You will be grumpy. You will also be way under caloried. You will not have the energy to train effective and lose a significant amount of your lean.

I calculated (quickly) your BMR being that big, to be about 3000 kcal/day. You would be under your basal metabolic rate. Your body would think it is starving and resist dropping any fat at all.

If we did this, we may as well call you Marvin. Because you would really be, a Starving Marvin.

Would the one cheat day a week prevent

A.the physiological effect of low calories eating for 6 days?(high protein moderate carb and fat diets limit leptin production)

B the psychological effect of low calories?

Would the one cheat day a week prevent

A.the physiological effect of low calories eating for 6 days?(high protein moderate carb and fat diets limit leptin production)

B the psychological effect of low calories?[/quote]

IMO ther only good they do (refeeds) is the mental break maybe a nice nap. but one day of seven is not enough to reset a metabolism that is being under feed and wanting to get to 6% likely you will have to drop them all together or change your idea of a cheat to something VERY tame.

Phill

Ok you have seen my stats

280lbs and 29% bodyfat.

My goal is to reach 9% bodyfat in 6 months

So goal 1st goal is to reach 19% bodyfat in 3 months.

Because im 280lbs I will ensure I get 300g of protein a day

Ive calculated my carbs at 200g a day split into all 6 meals

and Im eating salmon 4 days a week so that should cover my essential fat requirements

I think for my first goal of 19% I will be able to get to it by doing just the standard 3x20 intense aerobic sessions a week and having my cheat day

But for my 2nd goal 19%bf to 9% I will have to up the cardio to maybe 40-60 mins 3 days a week and taper my carbs and cut my cheat day

Let me know what ye think of this strategy?

I wouldn’t do a cheat day, but maybe 1 cheat meal a week. But if you insist on a full cheat day, try not to go overboard, and make sure you work really hard for those 6 days.

I am in a similar boat as you. I’m 300 pounds, 29% bodyfat. I started at 320. How tall are you? Just curious.

Good luck and keep us posted.

im 6ft tall