T Nation

Getting Into Power Lifting...but Skinny Fat, Lean Out or Gain?

Hey guys, I’m 5’11, 19 years old and about 25-30% bf. I’m basically skinny fat, at least imo. I dont look like I work out, I have like a 38 inch waist and 14 inch arms. My best gym lifts are currently 200 bench, 305 squat and around a 350 DL. I’ve been training for like 3 years but basically the wrong way. I recently took a step in the right direction and started lifting at a powerlifting gym in my area and in the last month have learned so much more than I ever thought I’d know.

But I’m still stuck with my diet. I’m not sure what to do. Some of the guys at my gym said I should gain weight but I’m semi worried about my health. My blood pressure is high and I want to make a change, I dont wanna develop diabetes or something in my future. But I’m not sure what to do first. Ive tried diets before but it was a little much going from no diet to something strict. One thing is, I dont over eat, I under eat. Some times it was like 1000-2000 calls a day, especially looking back in high school.

So what do you suggest? My main goal is to get stronger. But I’d like to get down to around 15% body fat. I’d be super happy with that.
Idk If I should try to lean out bc I’m worried it might be kind of a waste of time at this stage since I have nothing to rly “show off” and I could spend this time gaining weight.
If I lean out I was gonna try to follow the green face diet article, where I eat low/no carb all day besides during pre and post workout.
If not that then I’d just try to shovel food down my throat. I was told to basically eat 6 times a day, 1g per lb of protein, try to get carbs every meal and push the prowler 3 times a week.

What do you suggest? Lean out or try to gain weight?

At 25-30%, I’d definitely get leaner first. Lifting plus prowler pushing plus clean diet should have you down to 15% in two to three months. Hardly a waste of time.

The diet you referred to sounds like a good one.

There are also other metabolically demanding exercises that you could use in addition to the prowler. Six good rounds on a heavy bag will feel like you just kicked your own ass, and it’s a lot of fun. Barbell complexes are another go-to fat burner for me.

How much do you weigh right now?

205lbs give or take 2lbs.